11. Glenn Stewart
12. Greg Bird
13. Paul Gallen (captain)

Bench:
14. Trent Merrin
15. Luke Lewis
16. Ben Creagh
17. Anthony Watmough
NSW coach Ricky Stuart has taken one of the biggest gambles of his career by naming Manly's Anthony Watmough in his side for Origin II despite a shoulder injury.
Watmough, who failed to play his regular 80 minutes in Manly’s last two matches due to nerve damage in his neck, was named in place of Sea Eagles teammate Tony Williams, who was last week ruled out with a serious back injury.

Stuart said Watmough was due to have cortisone injection in his spine in a desperate bid to be fit for next Wednesday’s match at ANZ Stadium, which sees the Blues attempting to avoid the ignominy of a seventh straight series loss.
"He (Watmough) has got a couple of vertebrae that are inflamed ... this (the injection) will be a chance to really speed up the recovery part of the neural problem that he's got," Stuart said.

"He'll miss some sessions early in the piece ... talking to Choc, he's got no dramas about being right for the game."

Ironically, Stuart left Watmough out of Origin one due in part to the same ongoing shoulder injury.

The aggressive backrower was subsequently called into the side as 18th man, but Watmough turned down the offer, with Aaron Woods and BJ Leilua instead joining the squad.

Gallery: Check out the NSW Origin side here
Origin special section: Keep up to date with all the news

In other notable selections:

* Utility Jamie Buhrer, who only played seven minutes in Origin one, was axed. Robbie Farah, who only three weeks ago was slammed as not being tough enough for Origin, will therefore be asked to play 80 minutes at hooker.

* In-form Panther Tim Grant warded off stiff competition from Tigers duo Keith Galloway and Aaron Woods to take Buhrer’s bench spot. NSW will therefore play without a bench utility. Luke Lewis, Greg Bird and Glenn Stewart will be asked to cover the utility role should the Blues suffer an injury in the halves or backline.

* With the selection of another prop in the side (Grant), Paul Gallen was moved to lock, with Lewis relegated to the bench.

* Todd Carney retained his spot at five-eighth despite coming under pressure for an inconsistent performance in the opening game of the series.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nsw-blues-coach-ricky-stuart-names-team-for-state-of-origin-game-two/story-e6frexv9-1226381855233

Did I do anything wrong this time Toilety?

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? WHAT IS THAT BENCH? Can NSW just for once pick a bloody prop or two on the bench? Nice to see them sticking with basically the same side though at least. Building combinations is the only way they're ever gunna win another series.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? WHAT IS THAT BENCH? Can NSW just for once pick a bloody prop or two on the bench? Nice to see them sticking with basically the same side though at least. Building combinations is the only way they're ever gunna win another series.

I'm assuming Gallen will slot into prop when one of the starting props come off, not that he plays terribly differently at lock anyway. Great starting backrow though, with Watmough off the bench...if they're going to get one up on QLD that's their strength.

Reaction score
Pozza

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Can't believe Ben Creagh is still in the squad . Doesn't really strike fear into the hearts of the QLDs does he. If they're looking for a utility what's wrong with Mitch Aubussen from the Roosters. Has played consistently well in a team which has been all over the shop

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
You'd have to think if Todd Carney plays anywhere near what he's capable of then they're in with a good shot. He was shit in game 1. Tim Grant is an interesting selection at prop, though weakens the Pamfers just a little more for our game against them.

Reaction score
OMG

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I'm assuming Gallen will slot into prop when one of the starting props come off, not that he plays terribly differently at lock anyway. Great starting backrow though, with Watmough off the bench...if they're going to get one up on QLD that's their strength.
With the best Lock in the comp playing where he should be they might have a chance, it was dumb move to play him at prop IMO he can create more 2nd phase now.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Still think they should have TLL in the team. The first game of origin is always the hardest, so I expect Carney, Tamou, and whoever else to kick it up a notch.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nsw wins it tbh. They were doing pretty well in the first match until Jennings got sent off, but who knows right.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
Still think they should have TLL in the team. The first game of origin is always the hardest, so I expect Carney, Tamou, and whoever else to kick it up a notch.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nsw wins it tbh. They were doing pretty well in the first match until Jennings got sent off, but who knows right.

I suspect they probably will win. They usually grab at least one game of each series. They're pissed off after game 1, and Sticky has closed the doors on all media up until the game as he believes the QLD players/team are allowed allowances that his team isn't. So I expect them to come out firing and win game 2, setting up their traditional flogging at Suncorp in game 3 after much hype.

Reaction score
Kaizen

Kaizen

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Oh well.....two nil here they come.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
With the best Lock in the comp playing where he should be they might have a chance, it was dumb move to play him at prop IMO he can create more 2nd phase now.
Yeah but he's an eighty minute prop. Any team would want to have a prop who stays on for the whole game and as Toilety said, he doesn't play too differently.

Reaction score
OMG

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

Tamou seems to be the reason he has bought in another Prop, he was very good 1st game. Queensland were average 1st game, Slater had one of his worst games under the highball, they are going to be very tough.

Yeah but he's an eighty minute prop. Any team would want to have a prop who stays on for the whole game and as Toilety said, he doesn't play too differently.
Gallen is a prolific offloader that creates a heap of 2nd phase when teams are going backwards, he can't do the same amount playing Prop, 1 offload game one is a ridiculous stat for Gallen.

Reaction score
fanrrior

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I suspect they probably will win. They usually grab at least one game of each series. They're pissed off after game 1, and Sticky has closed the doors on all media up until the game as he believes the QLD players/team are allowed allowances that his team isn't. So I expect them to come out firing and win game 2, setting up their traditional flogging at Suncorp in game 3 after much hype.
It helps that it's still pretty much the same team, so that can only be a good thing. But if I was a NSW supporter i'd be concerned about Uate's defense. You get the feeling he could be targeted.

Gallen is a prolific offloader that creates a heap of 2nd phase when teams are going backwards, he can't do the same amount playing Prop, 1 offload game one is a ridiculous stat for Gallen.
I'd assume that doing offloads at club level is very different to doing an offload in origin. But if like you say, it's because he's playing as a prop, I don't see why Stuart doesn't tell Gallen to run wider as if he was playing at lock. But stay in the middle on defence.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Why do people say origin is played at a different level, 20 years ago when the league was secondary to the brawl maybe, but it's not true anymore, the hype and media head games are different but the players aren't and the footballs not alot different to a good first grade game. Jennings binning shows it's treated the same way, especially when Stuart spends the following week complaining about that and a possible no try rather than talking about his teams short comings.

Reaction score
OMG

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Why do people say origin is played at a different level, 20 years ago when the league was secondary to the brawl maybe, but it's not true anymore, the hype and media head games are different but the players aren't and the footballs not alot different to a good first grade game. Jennings binning shows it's treated the same way, especially when Stuart spends the following week complaining about that and a possible no try rather than talking about his teams short comings.
IMO It's definitely faster than NRL. Test football has caught up to Origin and is played at the same speed now.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
that looks a lot stronger bench than last game. and playing at home. nsw to win. and wrap it up in front of a hostile qld crowd in game 3. easy.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Qld weren't flash last week but still won and even with Rickys moaning about the refs so they get cut some extra slack I think it will be all over red rover for the blues this week.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Warriors 5th Grader
Reaction score
NSW should be too strong again. Lets hope that the refs, and Video ref have good vision this time.

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
NSW should be too strong again. Lets hope that the refs, and Video ref have good vision this time.
"I love Qld" might be yours for a long time yet. They lost by 8 points not 6 so no change in the forseable future except for margin.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Warriors 5th Grader
Reaction score
"I love Qld" might be yours for a long time yet. They lost by 8 points not 6 so no change in the forseable future except for margin.

If that try wasnt given, farrah would not have had to go for the 40/20 hero play. He would have gone for the safe option of passing to Jennings, who would have glided past the weak tackles, and passed to a supporting carney just before the last line of defence = NSW try under the post for NSW.

uggh forgot to update my avatar! knew there was a reason why i was feeling dirty all the time. Respect to you qld fans who can pretend to like that cheating team and being able to live like that!

Reaction score
surfin

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
If that try wasnt given, farrah would not have had to go for the 40/20 hero play. He would have gone for the safe option of passing to Jennings, who would have glided past the weak tackles, and passed to a supporting carney just before the last line of defence = NSW try under the post for NSW.

uggh forgot to update my avatar! knew there was a reason why i was feeling dirty all the time. Respect to you qld fans who can pretend to like that cheating team and being able to live like that!
None of that matters, Stuart has lived an evil life in this and his previous lives, Kharma has degreed only pain for him, Sharks, Aussie and NSW, your best chance of having a Blues win is get Stuart to coach Qld.

Top Bottom