General Sportal Warriors vs Raiders Preview

PB_old

Sportal.com.au's Raiders vs Warriors preview.

VENUE & TIME: Canberra Stadium, Sunday - 19:30 AEDT
HEAD TO HEAD:Played 19, Raiders 10, Warriors 9
COVERAGE:Fox Sports, ABC Radio
LAST TIME: Warriors 24 - Raiders 16 at Ericsson Stadium, round 20, 2005

WALKING WOUNDED
Raiders centre Adam Mogg was carried from the field in a brace last week will miss at least one week with neck soreness. Centre Phil Graham is out for a further three weeks with a hand fracture, while forwards Terry Martin (ribr) and Kris Kahler (shoulder) are also unavailable.
Warriors utility Epalahame Lauaki is out until round 22 with a pectoral muscle tear.

FORM
The Raiders didn't once complete three sets in a row in the first half against the Bulldogs last week and also missed 49 tackles. This wasn't the sort of performance the embattled side was looking for following their euphoric golden point win over the Panthers the week previous. They have now lost five of their last six home games and own the worst defence in the NRL by a long margin.
The Warriors created many chances in attack against the Sea Eagles last week, but as per usual, failed to finish most of them off. At least their defence was impressive, missing only 14 tackles.

WHO'S HOT
Raiders halfback Todd Carney. Played well in a beaten side last week while many of his teammates were struggling to compete. Scored two late tries which was just reward for the youngster.

WHO'S NOT
Raiders youngster Michael Weyman. Again this promising kid will be out for an extended period after injuring ankle ligaments in Premier League last week. He is destined to be an unrealised talent.

KEY MATCH-UPS
Jason Smith v Sione Faumuina
Troy Thompson v Steve Price
Craig Frawley v Clinton Toopi

LIKE TO SEE
A better contribution from experienced Raiders five-eighth Jason Smith. He is the side's main playmaker, but is not having the same impact as last year.

WOULDN'T LIKE TO SEE
More muffed opportunities in attack by the Warriors.

WE THINK

Not one of the higher profile matches of the weekend, but a difficult one to pick nevertheless. Without suspended hooker Simon Woolford's crafty work from dummy-half, the Raiders are an easy side to read which should make life easier for the solid Kiwi-based side. Look for halfback Nathan Fien to dominate on the back of a strong Warriors forward effort. Warriors by 6.

AliN_old

Yes it's going to be an interesting game alright.
Both teams have the potential to run away with the game but both teams also have the knack of under performing on the field.

Either side could take this game by the proverbials if they wanted to. I hope this week it's our turn.

Skinner_old

I think this is going to be a real close one. I've tipped the Raiders,
only because of the home ground.

Cheers

PB_old

MarkW said:
Hmm... the game is on Saturday night not Sunday.

Yeah? Well......it'll feel like Sunday by the time we get through with them.

warrior_girl81_old

bring on tomorrow night!! its going to be a great game. im tipping the warriors to run away with it. (fingers crossed)

sebastian_old

We can't afford to lose these easier games especially with the -4. If we have any pride we will win comfortably, with raiders missing key players, they are ripe for the picking. Being colder in NZ than ACT you can't use the cold as an excuse. Sooo....warriors fa sure!!!!!!!!!

northwarrior_old

I can't understand why sportal.com wouldn't include Wikis 250 games & homecoming of sorts.....I don't know if this will work for us or against us.....but should be in the mix.
I'll say it again...I'm looking for a big game from Wiki......kinda the same game as ex-warriors seem to produce when they play us.
BLOW THEM AWAY WIKI