Internationals Spoilers: Australia -V- England

daj3_old

Wellens? WHAT?! You've got the backline talents of NZ, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji to pick from and you want to play Wellens? Robertson had a shocker against France, but I'd probably pick him ahead of Wellens. Hayne would be a much better pick.

I know you love your ESL, but a truly "best of the rest" side would still have to be predominantly made up of NRL players.

Kid-Dynamite_old

NU, you made the bet that England will beat either N.Z or Australia at this comp. Loser gets to chose the others avatar for a week, or something like that, ring any bells!? I'm just in it for the bragging rights to be honest! :D

BTW, Wellens is a class player! But Hayne is better IMO! If the Eels wanna have success they'll play Hayne at fullback next year, it's his best position!

Jesbass_old

Yep your both right about Hayne, i'd posted that team then thought about Hayne. Only trouble being that Wellens is a top class fullback....so aybe Hayne to 4 with Vagana dropping out?

He's a bloody slow fullback - I know that much. I was really surprised by how laboured he looked, even early in the match, when running against the Kangaroos, especially after England's squad was apparently picked for its great speed.

Kid-Dynamite_old

FTR....

My World 13 would look something like this:

1- Jarryd Hayne
2- Akuila Uate
3- Michael Jennings
4- Steve Matai or Krisnan Inu
5- Manu Vatuvei
6- Benji Marshall
7- Danny Brough
8- Bolin (French prop...puts in the big hits) or Asasui (PNG Prop!?!?)
9- James Roby/Issac Luke
10- Jamie Peacock
11- Ashton Sims
12- Jerome Guisset
13- Feleti Mateo

Kid-Dynamite_old

Stanley Gene has to be in there somewhere...

He's not that good! I mean he's good, but I can't help but feel he's getting all this attention/spotlight due to the fact he is very old to be playing International Rugby League!

Would rather have a player like Benji Marshall or Danny McGuire over him anyday!

Jesbass_old

He's not that good! I mean he's good, but I can't help but feel he's getting all this attention/spotlight due to the fact he is very old to be playing International Rugby League!

Would rather have a player like Benji Marshall or Danny McGuire over him anyday!

But it's a rest of the world side! Having mostly English and Kiwi players with the occasional other player scattered in isn't really ideal, I reckon. Plus, Gene's inclusion would generate more media buzz and more ticket sales, even if he starts off the bench.

Northern_Union

NU, you made the bet that England will beat either N.Z or Australia at this comp. Loser gets to chose the others avatar for a week, or something like that, ring any bells!? I'm just in it for the bragging rights to be honest! :D

BTW, Wellens is a class player! But Hayne is better IMO! If the Eels wanna have success they'll play Hayne at fullback next year, it's his best position!

Ahhhh yes, lol bloody poms look likely to be letting down all there fans and letting me down as well.....i hope your avatar isn't going to be to rude :D
To be honest i don't rate Hayne that highly, he is to inconsistent...just isn't as good as Wellens, just my opinion though.

Jesbass_old

Ahhhh yes, lol bloody poms look likely to be letting down all there fans and letting me down as well.....i hope your avatar isn't going to be to rude :D
To be honest i don't rate Hayne that highly, he is to inconsistent...just isn't as good as Wellens, just my opinion though.

Is he normally as slow as he was on the weekend, NU? Or might he be carrying a niggle or two? Would you agree that he looked laboured when he ran?

Skinny_Ravs82

To be fair to Hayne this year hasn't been great for him and he's struggled a little with form

Jesbass_old

To be fair to Hayne this year hasn't been great for him and he's struggled a little with form

But still better than Wellens, you reckon? It's hard to compare, as the two haven't played opposite each other at fullback as far as I know - not recently, anyway. And of course the competition Wellens faces in the ESL is different to what Hayne would face in the NRL. It's also difficult to know because Hayne has only played 17 of his 59 NRL matches at fullback, while Wellens is a 296 ESL match veteran whose favoured position is fullback and who has played the majority of his career from the back - since no later than 2000, anyway.

2big2strong_old

I agree with you on Wellens Jesbass. I think he plays an old fashioned, Tim Brasher style of fullback. He looks well out of his depth when compared to the NRL fullbacks.

Northern_Union

Is he normally as slow as he was on the weekend, NU? Or might he be carrying a niggle or two? Would you agree that he looked laboured when he ran?

Well....he's no Martin Offiah but no i haven't noticed him being particularly slow so he might be carrying an injury or two.

Esoj_old

I don't remember him be overly slow in the super league grand final. I think he must be carrying a niggle or two.

Kid-Dynamite_old

But it's a rest of the world side! Having mostly English and Kiwi players with the occasional other player scattered in isn't really ideal, I reckon. Plus, Gene's inclusion would generate more media buzz and more ticket sales, even if he starts off the bench.

8 of the 13 from my team are from countries other than England or N.Z! :confused1:

If Gene's not good enough to be there (IMO) he won't be there....so there! :bump2: