Aussie talent pool is drying up because Aussie parents don't want their much smaller kids playing against huge Kiwi/Polynesian kids and inevitably getting hurt!
The AFL drive into the Aussie school system is powerful and impressive, and parents are taking notice.
AFL is essentially All-Australian and is a reason it draws such massive crowds that have a deep 'connection' with it's players.
I have concerns about a time when all the Aussie NRL teams have been flooded with Kiwi/Poly players because it was the only way to keep the competition going.
I can't see the majority of Australian league lovers following an ozzie club FULL of imports.
It has nothing to do with race......it is about identity!
For that reason alone, they should work on adding another Kiwi team to the competition sooner rather than later.
The first statement is wrong and the 2nd statement is a bit of a myth, for starters kids footy has never been stronger in OZ, excerpt from 2011 state of the game which I believe there is a story somewhere claiming a 7% increase on 2011 numbers.
• Over 1.5 million students will be engaged in Rugby League through Primary and High School based programs
in 2011, with the game already engaging 906,000 students by the end of July.
• Rugby League is on track to create a new record with more than 480,000 children expected to participate in
the game across clubs and schools in 2011.
• A record 163,000 registrations in weekend Club Rugby League has been recorded:
- 72,406 participants registered in the 6-12 years age groups, the highest in the history of the game.
- Female participation increased 9% in 2011 to 4,824 participants.
• Record participation in regular school competitions of 132,692 students (up 2% from the 2010 record).
• Students playing in formal gala days increased 6% to 184,425.
• In Western Sydney, 75% of schools participated in a Rugby League experience
Personally I don't know of too many parents that are scared of their children getting hurt, it's usually the child that wants to play sport with his mates that makes the decision on what they play.
There is a whole heap of big white kids too in OZ and NZ and Aussie probably have more Polys living here now than NZ.
IMO I would love to see another NZ team but believe that Perth must have a team first to truly grow the game, places like Central Coast,Ipswich and Central Queensland have massive player catchments and ready made fan bases so it is hard to see us getting another team unless it's a 22 team comp.