Sports Black Caps

Only caught the last few balls (northern hemisphere matches so hard to stay up for these days 😴), but glad to see we've got some heavy hitters going hard.

Tim Southee injury - curse or blessing?

I know which camp I'm in; I don't see where he fits into our playing xi for a sub-continental World Cup.

I'd picked Young and Chapman earlier in the year for those last spots, so I'm glad that they have got the nod and the experiment with Finn "miss the straight one" Allen is over.

If Williamson comes back I would like him to open and Conway to 3.

We just have no bowlers and consistent batters except Conway and Williamson and Mitchell.

Can't believe Stead has been re signed. NO succession plan. The Black Caps performing a successful backslide into a T20 candy floss shithole, from Test Champions to no 8 out of 9 in two years. Great work, not.

Sure, but the golden age of NZ was always going to end about now. What we have had has been a very special aligning of the stars.

We've already lost a couple of NZ's best. Williamson has barely got on the field in two years now.

Sorry to say things are going to get really dark in the next couple of years. In two years Southee, Boult and Wagner will be gone. Williamson will be 35, Conway 34, Latham 33.5, Mitchel 34, Nicholls 33, Young 32, Santner 34, Ferguson 34, Milne 33.5, M Bracewell 35. Unfortunately we do not have the players coming through to be world class and we certainly don't have the financial resources. We may never have what we have had in the last 10 years again as the international cricket landscape changes, so it is a good time just to sit back and appreciate it. Especially Boult and Williamson this World Cup.

Probably my biggest disappointment in the last couple of years is that Jamieson hasn't developed as a world class allrounder.

Stead doesn't really come into it imo.

Thoughts on Daryl Mitchell Wrighty Wrighty ?
Fall of wickets 1 for 61
And 2 for 117
Mitchell didn’t walk out to bat until 1117

That is some great platform setting by will young Conway and Nichols
Maybe moving on from Finn Allen will help us be more consistent

Sure, but the golden age of NZ was always going to end about now. What we have had has been a very special aligning of the stars.

We've already lost a couple of NZ's best. Williamson has barely got on the field in two years now.

Sorry to say things are going to get really dark in the next couple of years. In two years Southee, Boult and Wagner will be gone. Williamson will be 35, Conway 34, Latham 33.5, Mitchel 34, Nicholls 33, Young 32, Santner 34, Ferguson 34, Milne 33.5, M Bracewell 35. Unfortunately we do not have the players coming through to be world class and we certainly don't have the financial resources. We may never have what we have had in the last 10 years again as the international cricket landscape changes, so it is a good time just to sit back and appreciate it. Especially Boult and Williamson this World Cup.

Probably my biggest disappointment in the last couple of years is that Jamieson hasn't developed as a world class allrounder.

Agree on the players coming to an end - but that was obvious and telegraphed waaayyyy back at the end of the Hesson years. And that's where Stead, who along with White has steered the leaky boat for quite a while now, had the responsibility to address.

The players coming through to be world class now, well, in my opinion that should have been a cornerstone of Stead's reign. In(stead, sorry), we get as you quite rightly point out a very dark period coming up.

Not very hopeful but a realistic view of our situation.

Agree on the players coming to an end - but that was obvious and telegraphed waaayyyy back at the end of the Hesson years. And that's where Stead, who along with White has steered the leaky boat for quite a while now, had the responsibility to address.

The players coming through to be world class now, well, in my opinion that should have been a cornerstone of Stead's reign. In(stead, sorry), we get as you quite rightly point out a very dark period coming up.
Ravindra is our hope of the next generation.
He made 61 last night in a losing cause batting at number 7

Ravindra is our hope of the next generation.
He made 61 last night in a losing cause batting at number 7

We need another 6-7 hopes for the next generation really at this point. I don't see where they come from. Handy cricketers sure, but there is very little that could be classed as generational NZ players coming through.

Even the next level down is an aging selection.

Muhammad Abbas, Dean Foxcroft, Adithya Ashok?

How old is Ashok
He is young isn’t he ?

All three are under 26, Abbas and Ashok are very young, but very promising. History says that Ashok as a wrist spinner will struggle to go far in NZ, and if he is any good will get sucked into the T20 franchises.

All three are under 26, Abbas and Ashok are very young, but very promising. History says that Ashok as a wrist spinner will struggle to go far in NZ, and if he is any good will get sucked into the T20 franchises.
Ashok”s action is mouth watering

Back