Position/s
  1. Centre
Nickname
Solo, Mone
Warrior #
NRL Debut Date
Mar 15, 2015
NRL Debut Details
Round 1, New Zealand Warriors vs Newcastle Knights, Hunter Stadium, Newcastle, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 15, 2015
Warriors Debut Details
Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights, Hunter Stadium, Newcastle, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2015
  2. 2016
  3. 2017
  4. 2018
  5. 2019
College/s
Sacred Heart College
Signed To
Melbourne Storm
Signed From
Sacred Heart College
Previous Club/s
Brumbies, Auckland RU, Moana Pasifika, Exeter Chiefs, Leicester Tigers
Current Club
Leicester Tigers
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
  2. Tonga
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomone_Kata
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/solomone-kata/summary.html
What fascinated me about the Kata era is at the end there Radio sport (R.I.P) got SK on and had a go at him about picking Kata who cannot pass (seems everyone in NZ apart from his fan club of one could see it).
Darcy Waldergrave was the interviewer from memory.

SK denied there was an issue.

A week later Kata was dropped and SK said he had work on's in Reggies and would be back soon.

Soon turned out to be never.

Just Saying like (where are you Bruce?).

He had a short stint as a Hooker in the trial against the Broncos I believe. He was a Halfback in Union and threw a couple of great passes. In context after the same trial Matt Elliott the Coach compared Carlos Tuimavave to Laurie Daley. Strange days.
Yes he looked a million dollars passing off the ground out of Dummy half in that trial vs the donkeys.

Classic example of a player who has never learned to pass both ways while running.

CHT is the other player to go to DH in a one off game and look like a fish taking to water.

CHT of course has a pass while in motion. Perhaps CHT will indeed be that utility.

Those few years were a strange time.

We had a centre who struggled to pass and you'd often see the winger outside him looking disappointed as there was a clear overlap. He did look alright those few games on the other side of the field.

I also remember hearing opposition players yelling that he wouldn't pass. Or from dummy half close to the line that it was Kata and he won't pass and instead would run even if there was an overlap. When the opposition can yell out what you are going to do you have a problem. It also means passing would have thrown them off.

But as a professional player, can’t you learn it in a preseason?

… unless Kearney is the coach and they don’t even know there’s a problem.
Bro it’s so easy to teach people to pass both ways- my whole u8s team can do it.

I think katas problem was that under pressure he’d resort to what had always worked for him- his power game.
It’s like my old hungus teammate brett Taylor (iykyk) would say- why pass to the wing to get bundled out when I can beat three and score?
Doesn’t work in the big leagues.

Bro it’s so easy to teach people to pass both ways- my whole u8s team can do it.

I think katas problem was that under pressure he’d resort to what had always worked for him- his power game.
It’s like my old hungus teammate brett Taylor (iykyk) would say- why pass to the wing to get bundled out when I can beat three and score?
Doesn’t work in the big leagues.

Yes to all of the above.

Tends to be harder to teach older players basic skills period because the lack of confidence through years of fearing a small thing becomes a mind set.

I can see why people are getting Kata and Konrad confused.... one started as a hooker and the other got a BJ. Then again.... the bible does say "it is better to give than to receive".

Back