General SKY TV Coverage of League

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I'm away at the moment so I was on SkyGo instead of at home with the decoder. Got a few points where it froze. I was worried it might of been more people on it like Spark Sport and the rugby last year. Ended up being my fathers crap router.

Also good that you can cast SkyGo now. Under Fellet they didn't allow it, rather have people paying for multi room Glad it has been opened up now, a lot more convenient.

drunk_monk

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2014
The sky sport now app stream shit its pants just as kick off happened.

I was so excited but looks like decades of under investment is still kicking sky's ass.
Went back to using my parents sky go account.

If sky wants me to pay they need to justify it. Too many years of keeping their heads in the sand in regards to how content delivery evolved.

Reactions: Akkerz and Rizzah

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
He was trying to move them in a different direction from the previous long term CEO.

I like how they no longer restrict SkyGo from casting. Opening up the channels during the lockdown when there was no sport on was a good move, also a necissity to try and stop large number of subscribers stopping their subscription.

They need to bring the costs down as for a lot less you get a better service and a lot more content with streaming services. Maybe only have sport as an additional extra.

I originally read the news in this article which listed their share price falling 5c to 16c. Ouuch. That is a long fall from what would of been the high's of the 90's or early 2000's. I know Spark are getting into sport, the more compeition the better. It does have a flow on effect though as the funding from the broadcast agreements fun the various sports. The less money Sky have the less funding the sports will get. They will likely lose more content to Spark or any other new parties entering the market.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
He was trying to move them in a different direction from the previous long term CEO.

I like how they no longer restrict SkyGo from casting. Opening up the channels during the lockdown when there was no sport on was a good move, also a necissity to try and stop large number of subscribers stopping their subscription.

They need to bring the costs down as for a lot less you get a better service and a lot more content with streaming services. Maybe only have sport as an additional extra.

I originally read the news in this article which listed their share price falling 5c to 16c. Ouuch. That is a long fall from what would of been the high's of the 90's or early 2000's. I know Spark are getting into sport, the more compeition the better. It does have a flow on effect though as the funding from the broadcast agreements fun the various sports. The less money Sky have the less funding the sports will get. They will likely lose more content to Spark or any other new parties entering the market.

It is a price war. A race to the bottom.

Tedster

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 29, 2014
I use Skygo and its rubbish most of the time and not really a fan of mysky, series links seem to delete off and some don't record. I've been with Sky since Adam was a boy and i think their treatment of their existing customers is rubbish - they used to give you free on-demand movies every now and then as a thanks for being with them but now they seem to want to entice new customers which i can understand, they are a business but surely looking after your existing customers is a priority too? If they didn't have the league would have chucked it in ages ago.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
try and stop large number of subscribers stopping their subscription.
Have a mate who works at SKY and he was off his feet collecting decoders all this year. Sent me a pic of his van packed to the roof with them. Subscribers are leaving in droves. Streaming services are taking a huge bite out of their market. Not just with sport but movies. I personally use IPTV which gets just about every channel in the world for a fraction of the cost of SKY.

SKY basic isnt even worth it as its now a glorified freeview service. You have to add sport which has always been the case but it no longer includes the 70 channels like Discovery, CI etc.

Best thing I ever did was get rid of that tyrant. For far too long they milked its subscribers with their monopoly. I get a lot of satisfaction in seeing them die a slow and inevitable death. Rugby and league are their last saving graces but even that will leave them eventually...

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
So much for paying for Sky online, mind you we might miss the ads.
There was a game in the 90s where TV2 got roasted as they went off to an add break and had to cut it short as a team scored.

Not sure if they did it with the host broadcaster or extended them to get more revenue.

Like other events that have been on multiple channels I'll like stick with Sky due to force of habbit.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Like other events that have been on multiple channels I'll like stick with Sky due to force of habbit.
I have it online, no ads and the price if the same. All you need is an android. That is another reason why channels like History don't count. There are heaps of excellent history channels for free.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
Email from Sky…

I have some great news. I’m pleased to let you know that the NRL and New Zealand Rugby League action will be live on Sky for many years to come. League is an important part of the Sky Sport offer we know you love.

Today we confirmed an exciting new partnership with the NRL and NZRL, and it’s so much more than a broadcast deal.

Yes, we’ll continue to bring you every fantastic match of the NRL and State of Origin, and all the NZRL-run matches involving the Kiwis and the Kiwi Ferns. But it’s more than this. Through this partnership we have committed to working even more closely with NRL and NZRL to grow the game of Rugby League in New Zealand, like running the roadshow we have on this weekend in Christchurch with the Vodafone Warriors and NZRL.

We’ll promote and support our wāhine toa, and we’ll do everything we can to attract the next generation of League fans from grassroots to high performance. It’s this part which is vital to the future of the game.
Our digital partnership with NRL and NZRL also means together we’ll deliver great fan moments and experiences to all New Zealanders in ways that work for you. Look out for some cool new initiatives embracing the opportunities of digital and which spin the wheels of young Kiwis who live in that world.
There’s so much more to come with fan experiences too! There are some exciting ideas in the wings to help our sport partners bring stadia and sports grounds alive and we’re looking forward to sharing more soon. We love League at Sky. And I love that we can continue to support the game in New Zealand – together we can do great things.

Thanks for your support as a fellow fan.

Sophie Moloney
Sky CEO

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Email from Sky…

I have some great news. I’m pleased to let you know that the NRL and New Zealand Rugby League action will be live on Sky for many years to come. League is an important part of the Sky Sport offer we know you love.

Today we confirmed an exciting new partnership with the NRL and NZRL, and it’s so much more than a broadcast deal.

Yes, we’ll continue to bring you every fantastic match of the NRL and State of Origin, and all the NZRL-run matches involving the Kiwis and the Kiwi Ferns. But it’s more than this. Through this partnership we have committed to working even more closely with NRL and NZRL to grow the game of Rugby League in New Zealand, like running the roadshow we have on this weekend in Christchurch with the Vodafone Warriors and NZRL.

We’ll promote and support our wāhine toa, and we’ll do everything we can to attract the next generation of League fans from grassroots to high performance. It’s this part which is vital to the future of the game.
Our digital partnership with NRL and NZRL also means together we’ll deliver great fan moments and experiences to all New Zealanders in ways that work for you. Look out for some cool new initiatives embracing the opportunities of digital and which spin the wheels of young Kiwis who live in that world.
There’s so much more to come with fan experiences too! There are some exciting ideas in the wings to help our sport partners bring stadia and sports grounds alive and we’re looking forward to sharing more soon. We love League at Sky. And I love that we can continue to support the game in New Zealand – together we can do great things.

Thanks for your support as a fellow fan.

Sophie Moloney
Sky CEO

I replied back saying that if they had of lost the NRL rights, myself and friends would have immediately stopped our SkY subscription - do the same.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Guess it’s a no brainer to keep Sky tv and continue with the sky broadband trial… $79 per month for 950/450 speed for sky subscribers
I had them ring me up for this deal as well. Was close to going for it. Mainly didn't as I didn't want the extra hassle. Might revisit at somepoint. One less vendor for bills.

Hope they move towards having a dedicated league channel. I know it is all on 54 but it would be cool. Rugby and cricket I can understand as there are either a lot of competitions or in the case of cricket the games full up a lot of air time.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
NRL/ESL replays/Overseas cricket/Rugby - Super and International, maybe some Ranfurly Shield/Grand Slam tennis/Majors golf/Snooker (although as those are overnight, TBPH except for the Australian Open/Australian golf I don't utilise those sports coverages all that much unless they stretch to Saturday/Sunday).

And Monday Nights on NRL360 with the Paul Kent and Phil Rothfield Niggling Aggro Thing. Appointment viewing, but I have no idea what they've said as they constantly talk over each other.

My bigger problem is Vodafone TV, not Sky TV. The number of times I turn the TV on to get the "Trying to connect to the internet" message is incredible. Okay, it's just a case of the old "Unplug and wait for 30 seconds" trick, but it's getting very, very old.

I assume the conditions for agreeing to the extended years of coverage didn't include "dump the meaningless half-time interview"?

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings