General SJ's weight

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2012
Brisbane
Can anyone shed some light to why Shaun Johnson has been beefed up as much as he has? He has to be the heaviest halfback going around?

Seems to have effected his speed to some degree. Last year he blitzed Bowen as if he were standing still, this year Bowen caught him comfortably.

Danpatmac

Can anyone shed some light to why Shaun Johnson has been beefed up as much as he has? He has to be the heaviest halfback going around?

Seems to have effected his speed to some degree. Last year he blitzed Bowen as if he were standing still, this year Bowen caught him comfortably.
I would've thought his extra muscle would add to his speed... its a bit of a myth that muscle can slow you down... look at Ben Johnson ( the roids were good to him), unless we are talking an extra 10-20kgs

I am surprised at how weak he is in the tackle for his size

fanrrior

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2012
christchurch
I would've thought his extra muscle would add to his speed... its a bit of a myth that muscle can slow you down... look at Ben Johnson ( the roids were good to him), unless we are talking an extra 10-20kgs

Could it be more a psychological problem than it is physical?

Because to me he has shown plenty of strength for a half when trying to reach the try line, but seems weaker when he isn't.

Whether this is down to him giving up in the tackle, or self belief he can break it / get as much ground as possible, I don't know.

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2012
Brisbane

I have no idea how muscle build effects speed. Like I said the only thing I have to go on is that last season in open space no one could catch him. He's been run down a couple of times this season in the Tigers and Cowboys games.

facefacts

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised how strong his defense was yesterday, he really put his shoulder in consistently for the first time i can remember...maybe it's starting to sink in,
that he's not the little skinny guy he was before.

Tyrael

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012

It depends if you are doing speed and acceleration training. I would assume he put most of it on his torso.

I think he's packed on 10-12kgs since last season. IMO way too much too quickly.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
SJ could end up the greatest loose forward the game has ever seen.

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
I was pleasantly surprised how strong his defense was yesterday, he really put his shoulder in consistently for the first time i can remember...maybe it's starting to sink in,
that he's not the little skinny guy he was before.

He saved a try from memory? (Hazy, drunken, angry memory...)

Yeah defence certainly seems improved.

As for his size, I have often wondered why he doesn't seem to be as nimble as last year. He is bulkier, or looks it. Whether or not it's related to an ongoing niggle (lower back problems can cause problems in the pelvis and lower limbs, and vice versa) or whether it's his added bulk I'm not sure.

Danpatmac

maybe he isn't as fast as people thought...?

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
Simple truth was he had to get bigger as there was no way he could stay that small, there can be only one Preston.

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Gold Coast
" Too much weights not enough speed work, useless prick " - Jake the Mus

I refuse to believe SJ has lost speed if thats true, with Locke hobbling on one leg at the moment, and fish having Osteogenesis imperfecta, that means we have the slowest backline ever and Ive just got over my depression from the Knights game hahaha

Reactions: eX | Machina