General Sir Mad Butcher

BigD_old

Congrats to the Mad Butcher..Numero Uno Warriors fan in becoming a Knight today

He has been called Sir Peter for a while now but the Mad Butcher aka Peter Leitch was this afternoon officially conferred as a knight at an investiture ceremony in Auckland.

The ceremony, at Government House, saw 15 people including Leitch and poet Sam Hunt be honoured.

Leitch was made a knight companion of The New Zealand Order of Merit for his services to business and philanthropy and Hunt, a companion of The New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to poetry.

Leitch, who lives at Bucklands Beach, East Auckland, set up the Mad Butcher chain of butcher shops in Mangere, South Auckland, 40 years ago. The chain grew to such an extent that there were at one stage 40 shops throughout New Zealand.

He is also well known as a staunch supporter of rugby league and in particular the Warriors. And, in 2005 he was the football manager of the Kiwis in 2005 during their victorious tri-nations series.

He is also, among other things, involved with Diabetes Auckland, the Prostate Cancer Foundation, Muscular Degeneration New Zealand and Allergy New Zealand.

Leitch said the honour was ''humbling'' .

''This award is for the ordinary people - I couldn't have done anything without people coming to buy my meat.''

Northern_Union

About bloody time we got a second rugby league Knight, it's only taken 110 years.

Magic Stick_old

Craig Bellamy and Billy Slater already call Adam Blair Sir. Or Sir Blair would give them a hiding

Last edited by a moderator:

Lego_Man_old

I dont believe in Knighthoods - or more to the point titles in general. A man's a man to me, i'm not going to bow to anyone just because they've made a successful franchise out of red sheds, sailed some yachts, or been a businessman of questionable ethics.

Jesbass_old

I dont believe in Knighthoods - or more to the point titles in general. A man's a man to me, i'm not going to bow to anyone just because they've made a successful franchise out of red sheds, sailed some yachts, or been a businessman of questionable ethics.

I agree...sort of. I also agree with honouring those who have achieved and gone above and beyond.

As with most things, I'm a moderate. ;)

EATASS_old

What about 431 wickets at an average of 22.29?

Lego_Man_old

I'd bend a knee to Mannering when he holds the Telstra Premiership trophy aloft, but that's as far as i'd go...

playdaball_old

About bloody time we got a second rugby league Knight, it's only taken 110 years.

His knighthood had nothing to do with RL. There have been several RL Knights from NZ. These include Sam Stewart, Tony Kemp, Tea Ropati, George Mann etc

Northern_Union

His knighthood had nothing to do with RL. There have been several RL Knights from NZ. These include Sam Stewart, Tony Kemp, Tea Ropati, George Mann etc

The butchers acheivment has everything to do with rugby league. And i've just clicked about the knights joke. Nice play on words!! :)

playdaball_old

The butchers acheivment has everything to do with rugby league. QUOTE]

Despite the fact that he generally known as RL # 1 Fan ...

"Leitch was made a knight companion of The New Zealand Order of Merit for his services to business and philanthropy "

Northern_Union

Rugby league is his business and his business is rugby league. In all seriousness i think it fair to say that league has paided a very big part in his knighthood.

Spence_old

Rugby league is his business and his business is rugby league. In all seriousness i think it fair to say that league has paided a very big part in his knighthood.

You could argue that league gave him the profile to begin his charity work.

playdaball_old

I'm not going to agrue as I think he has been a great person for RL starting with the old days at Mangere East right up until now.

I shop at 'his' shop close to where I live.

The guy is a legend and nobody has a higher RL profile than him including the likes of Price,Wiki and Jones.

Last edited by a moderator: