General sione

flash_g_old

He was rubbish. They are kidding themselves if they think Faumuina is an option at standoff.

andytones_old

haha yer i thought that all along with him, definately at his best in the backrow, hes just too big at standoff

flash_g_old

Amen to that brother. Best coming off the bench at 20 minute mark with the defence hanging off, as a BACKROWER. Jeez I thought we done this gig last year!!!

LeagueNut_old

Sione put in a very rusty performance. He looked most dangerous when running the ball at the line, and trying to create an offload. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's the kind of stuff you want your second rowers doing.

He tried a couple of kicks, one got charged down and lead to a Raiders try.

Given the time and the right coaching, he could probably make a go of it. But I'm going to have to join the chorus of "Sione is not a #6" now, based on today's game.

Rovelli impressed me, maybe he could find himself there instead?

mosh_old

I dont really like the fact that two "non kiwi" players will be in the halves. Not because im bias or anything and dont like aussies. But I'd rather someone who thinks alot like the backrowers like Lauaki, Louis, Wairangi, and co play in the halves. Hohaia is one option and I guess Sione is the others.

I just like the combinations you can get with different players and I really am not a fan of having two half back type players in both halves positions either. It never worked when Stacey and Hohaia were paired together. So Sione at this stage is much better than Rivolli. Rivolli can come on for impact like Hohaia use to do in the 2002 Semi Finals to Grand Final and did a solid job.

Its up to Cleary to live up to the claims he has made regarding Sione and work extra hard on getting Sione to start thinking like a play maker while not losing the backrowing abilities Sione posseses like running the ball up hard when the defence doesnt expect you to.

Its alot of hard work and I hope Cleary puts some time and preparation to make it 100% right. There will be NO EXCUSES come round 1. If the halves fail prepare to get criticised heavily.

Also for me you couldnt go past a combination like

9-Fien
7-Hohaia
6-Rivolli

Fien has the ability to switch from 5-8th to hooker while Hohaia can only play hooker and cant play like a 5-8th as a 5-8th is more of a supporting player than works the outside backs into gaps.

Ronnie_7_old

Yeah I'm on the Sione is not a #6 Bandwagon as well. For me he's had too much time in the game playing other positions that weren't 5/8. Its a bit of a 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks'. He arleady has a way that he plays and thinks and thats more like a backrower. Because he's had so much time in the game its harder to mold him into something else. It's better getting someone in there like Vuna where you can kinda mould the sort of way that they're gonna play and think

2big2strong_old

being of pacific island and maori heritage i think i'm allowed to say that we need pakeha's in the halves. islanders are particularly short burst players which is what makes them such awesome impact players. I can paste a report here from Queen Vic university, that goes into the sports physics of the Maori and the Pacific islander people and the final conclusion is that Pacific Islanders have Genes that gives them more natural anuerobic ability and less aerobic ability than pakehas or maori. they can switch off mentally and periodically and perform in waves. as opposed to pakeha performing at a constant level. in a playmaking role we need someone that's at least 3/4's switched on all the time than someone that might be on one minute and hapless the next.

Ronnie_7_old

I don't think that race even needs to be mentioned. If you're good for the job then you're good for the job.

Jesbass_old

Ronnie_7 said:
Yeah I'm on the Sione is not a #6 Bandwagon as well. For me he's had too much time in the game playing other positions that weren't 5/8. Its a bit of a 'You can't teach an old dog new tricks'. He arleady has a way that he plays and thinks and thats more like a backrower. Because he's had so much time in the game its harder to mold him into something else. It's better getting someone in there like Vuna where you can kinda mould the sort of way that they're gonna play and think

That certainly wasn't the case for Lockyer.

And the race card is an interesting one, but I certainly wouldn't rule out having a Maori or a Polynesian in the halves on the basis of a university study.

I think Sione went okay. Not outstanding, but okay. He's still learning the number 6 ropes, and this was his first opportunity to put them to the test. He'll only get better from here onwards.

2big2strong_old

It depends on which way you want to take the game. I think in 10 - 20 years time the 'gene' issue will be very relevent. Its already a very prominent basis on which athletes are scouted in Athletics and a lot of american sports. for instance, ever wondered why African americans are the fastest sprinters in the world but cant swim record times? nor can they compete in marathons at top 5 standards? all genes, they have a shorter lower body to upper body ratio and caucasions are the complete opposite. Native African's are generally athletically equipped for endurance, where as african americans were bred like horses by the asshole yanks to be better workers, the strong Slaves were bred with Strong caucasions and the weak were killed off. (bit of a history lesson there) but that having been said, i think League is getting less and less 'position stereotypical' and the way they seem to be going is having 3 centres and 1 half. ie. benji marshall is a glorified centre, Vagana and now Sione.

flash_g_old

I think we are putting our heads in the sand if we believe Sione can be converted to a standoff, he doesnt have the range of skills required for the position or most importantly the ability to read the game and take the correct option in attack, or defence where he races in for the big shot and leaves his man unmarked. We have a guy with all the skills required, in Jerome Ropati, he needs time in the position to develop. I say dont waste any more valuable game time on Faumuina!

Jackal_old

he is definently not a 5/8. he created about 500 offloads but has a non-existent kicking game, which a 5/8 needs. Rovelli could be the goods though, made one run that almost scored him a try.

I'd have

6. Rovelli
7. Fein

9. Hohaia

13. Sione

why_hate

This will be my first and last time on this forum. You haters in here have know idea about league. There isnt anybody else with the vision and skill in the team who can play six. I can see things that some players cant, after one game you guys bag me, I just wana say that this forum is where I get my motivation from. Last year you guys dogged me, mainly you phantom menace, and I used that to have one of my best seasons, and now you guys are doing it again. You dont know what happens at trainning do ya? Im the best suited for 6 and quite frankly you guys better accept it coz Im going to be 6 as long as Im at the club. My coach, my teamates and me have faith that I can do it, so stop with all the " not a fan of sione at 6 " crap cos like i said.....i aint going anywhere.

sione

scottyb_old

yeah right "SIONE", as if a player would come into a fan's forum and talk like that, whoever you are who wrote this, think before you write so you at least sound believable.

Jesbass_old

2black2strong said:
It depends on which way you want to take the game. I think in 10 - 20 years time the 'gene' issue will be very relevent. Its already a very prominent basis on which athletes are scouted in Athletics and a lot of american sports. for instance, ever wondered why African americans are the fastest sprinters in the world but cant swim record times? nor can they compete in marathons at top 5 standards? all genes, they have a shorter lower body to upper body ratio and caucasions are the complete opposite. Native African's are generally athletically equipped for endurance, where as african americans were bred like horses by the asshole yanks to be better workers, the strong Slaves were bred with Strong caucasions and the weak were killed off. (bit of a history lesson there) but that having been said, i think League is getting less and less 'position stereotypical' and the way they seem to be going is having 3 centres and 1 half. ie. benji marshall is a glorified centre, Vagana and now Sione.

I didn't mean to imply that race has nothing to do with it. What I meant, though, was that I personally wouldn't want to overlook a player with Maori or Polynesian genes on the basis of exactly that. If that were the case, I'd never have had Stacey Jones in my halves! ;)

I just think you take the best man for the job. Whether he's, a New Zealander, an Australian, a Pole or a Spaniard, it makes no difference to me. He can be black, brown, white, yellow or even green - if he does the job better than anyone else available, he'd be the one I'd pick.

tezzah_old

Leave Sione in 6, he played well enough to say that he wants this position. I personally thought he had some nuts to take it to the line like a good stand off would. Many stand-offs stand back and pass the ball and from time to time attack the line but he definitely wanted to hit that ball as hard as he could and provide some attacking options by drawing in many Raiders players and off loading at will. He looked threatening all the time when on attack but he didnt look to find Wairangi or Jerome, which had me stumped as to what his role is as a stand off- I rate him 7/10, given time and experience he'll come right!

Roveli didnt play all that weel and neither did Daniel o'Regan! So keep Sione there and enforce his presence with some support guys!

tezzah_old

Jerome is a great stand off however and is suited for stand off! Race has nothing to do with Rugby league positions - small mindedness! Tony Martin could slip in to CEntre and be formidable based on yesterdays outing and Jerome would easily fit into Stand off otherwise! George was great too