Simon Mannering

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
alfway through the book and its fucking awesome! Real awesome insight into what goes on behind the scenes. The other cool thing is ever few pages someone else like Ivan Cleary, Ruben Wiki, Grant Rovelli, John Mayhew, Micheal Luck etc will have an excerpt in there that relates to the current topic and brings a whole other perspective to the story.

Hats off to Paul Bergman for his role in developing Simon. Without that one man he would never have made it I believe. Its all detailed in the book just how much Bergman did for him.

Pretty shy in public but behind the scenes in his own environment Simon was a bit of a wild party animal lol.

You'll be hooked after the foreword from Ivan Cleary. Im off to read the rest of it...
I probably was going to skip it. You've probably earned him a few more sales. Definitely got me interested.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hope it's better than Stacey's- that was a let down. Fittlers was the best league autobiography ive read
I used to read heaps of sports autobiographies, haven't read one for a while but I'll definitely get this.

Reaction score

Onewarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Mt Wellington do you know if Simon is doing book signings down in Tauranga and when, cheers mate.

Reaction score
Tragic

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Got 3 copies signed for xmas presents, even got a special note for my brother, wasn't sure he would write what I asked for as wasn't flattering, he was all good said thats what brothers do and laughed. Son got his jersey and Mannering 300 shirt signed too.
He is a good dude.

Reaction score
Tragic

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
As much as I want a premiership it would be bittersweet if we get it in 2019 the year after Simon retires.

Reaction score

warriors4eva

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
shit im in Auckland tomorrow, i better head along to get a signed book.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Is he moving to Queensland ?
Yep. For a year at least and if they like it there it'll be permanent...

Mt Wellington do you know if Simon is doing book signings down in Tauranga and when, cheers mate.
Only Auckland sorry. If you want a signed copy let me know and I'll get it done for you...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Finished the book. Was a good read. Goes into the different environments at the Kiwis and the Warriors including the post Ivan Cleary days and the last RLWC with David Kidwell. Won't spoil it. You'll have to read it for yourselves but as far as the Cleary saga goes he says what we all know in that people who had no idea about the footy side decided to meddle in shit they shouldn't have. No points for guessing who he is talking about even though he names no names.

Don't expect anything explosive about Bluey, Matt Elliott or Cappy. He is very diplomatic when discussing that time.

He does talk about how he very nearly left the club for Clearys Panthers and his reasons for wanting to leave then deciding to stay.

I really enjoyed the book and will be reading it again during the Christmas break. Love the first 100 pages where he talks about how his career all came about and the sudden unexpected rise from 1st XV rugby for Nelson Boys to getting a contract with the Warriors and playing for the Kiwis. You'll be amazed at how instrumental Paul Bergman was for him. First few seasons he even mentions exactly how much money he is on though that stops once he becomes a marquee player...

Reaction score

Onewarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yep. For a year at least and if they like it there it'll be permanent...

Only Auckland sorry. If you want a signed copy let me know and I'll get it done for you...
Mt Wellington thank you yes that would be awesome mate cheers, I'll see if I PM you, haven't done one before on this site.

Reaction score
AlexM

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Finished the book. Was a good read. Goes into the different environments at the Kiwis and the Warriors including the post Ivan Cleary days and the last RLWC with David Kidwell. Won't spoil it. You'll have to read it for yourselves but as far as the Cleary saga goes he says what we all know in that people who had no idea about the footy side decided to meddle in shit they shouldn't have. No points for guessing who he is talking about even though he names no names.

Don't expect anything explosive about Bluey, Matt Elliott or Cappy. He is very diplomatic when discussing that time.

He does talk about how he very nearly left the club for Clearys Panthers and his reasons for wanting to leave then deciding to stay.

I really enjoyed the book and will be reading it again during the Christmas break. Love the first 100 pages where he talks about how his career all came about and the sudden unexpected rise from 1st XV rugby for Nelson Boys to getting a contract with the Warriors and playing for the Kiwis. You'll be amazed at how instrumental Paul Bergman was for him. First few seasons he even mentions exactly how much money he is on though that stops once he becomes a marquee player...
Just wondering what his opinions on SK are?

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
One bit that I liked was when he talks about the game against Penrith when we got wasted 62-4 and the fans were livid when players were seen joking around after the game. I remember this forum lost their shit at that and soon after the media picked up on it. Interesting reading about it after how badly it was taken by forum members. As captain he was oblivious to the fans reactions until he touched back down in Auckland and was surprised at how bad the situation was...

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
One bit that I liked was when he talks about the game against Penrith when we got wasted 62-4 and the fans were livid when players were seen joking around after the game. I remember this forum lost their shit at that and soon after the media picked up on it. Interesting reading about it after how badly it was taken by forum members. As captain he was oblivious to the fans reactions until he touched back down in Auckland and was surprised at how bad the situation was...
If I recall the guy who was smiling the most was Benry. In no way did that reflect his effort in the game, he played his guts out as usual. He was just being the very nice guy he is and congratulating the opposition. Quite unfortunate that because some of the team definitely dropped their bundle in that game.

One bit I noticed in the Herald was the involvement of John Hart in team talks. That freaked me out, even if Hart was a great motivator the coach was Ivan Cleary. Hart had no bloody right to be doing that because he was detracting from Ivan's mana in the group. I can't blame Ivan for it but I suspected all along that Hart might be into that type of thing, and the Kiwi mafia in the background wouldn't have liked it either. I cannot see Smith getting near the changing room while SK is coach.

Top Bottom