General Simon Mannering

Iafeta_old

I know he's been criticised over the years, particularly with his captaincy, but it was interesting to see his development this year I thought... and I've been listening to Ivan Cleary on radiosport... He talks about a game against Manly a few years ago. A very important match for us. Apparently he had mouth ulcers and had lost a fair few kilos through the week. Not only did he play, apparently he broke his hand in the first couple of minutes and didn't feel the need to tell anyone. According to Cleary the boys would run through a brick wall for the bloke.

Swanley_old

I think he has grown into the role.

He is very calm and leads by example.

Just what the warriors need.

Fazz_old

Yeah. Egg on my face, I was hating on him pretty hard up until around round 12 where he showed why the people the run the Warriors are doing it and not people like me (EG Keyboard Warriors)

He's been fantastic over the last 10-15 weeks, really grown into the role, lead by example and proved those of us who doubted him wrong. Well done Warriors and well done Simon Mannering. I thought that massive charge near the end of the Melbourne game really helped to lift us and attracted enough numbers for Johnson to weave some magic too.

Spence_old

Yep, I admit I had some less than kind words for him earlier in the season, but I absolutely love him at the moment. Top, top bloke. Can't speak highly enough of him.

RRG_old

Will glady admit to being wrong about mannering. I never doubted his potential but his form over much of last season and early this season had me being fairly negative towards him. He has played really really well over the last 20 weeks though and deserves all the praise that is coming his way.

Spence_old

Yep. There are only 3 players (of all teams) who played every game this season; Mannering, Mateo and Matulino. Triple M Threat, boys!

That's very impressive! And how about our injury toll, one season ender, one half season missed and then just a few weeks here and there. Our trainers must be doing something right.

Chch fan_old

Mannering is a big part of this team so it was suprising when people were calling for his head earlier in the season. As much as I rate Simon I'm not sure he should have won player of the year over Mateo or Big Ben.

JonB_old

Since he reurned to the 2nd row he has improved a lot, he is not a center.
currently i think that he is one of the very best 2nd rowers in the NRL, offensively he has been very good, he always makes good metres with the ball in hand, defensively he is outstanding, if he gets his arm on a guy he usually gets tackled, along with usually being in the right position, and often governs the dfensive line as well.

As a captian he has greatly improved also, he has had to grow into the role, and that he has done.

BringBackRovelli_old

That's very impressive! And how about our injury toll, one season ender, one half season missed and then just a few weeks here and there. Our trainers must be doing something right.

Remember a couple of seasons ago we had injury after injury and were blowing up deluxe about the trainers and the team's physical state. How good it has been to have a pretty good year this time. Remember times when we had McKinnon, Price, Manu, Ropati and Tate all out injured at the same time.

Eccawarrior_old

Well hate to admit it but I also had the same thoughts as the majority here, I am proud of what he has achieved this year and I hope he is captain for a long time to come, I was honored to shake his hand first on fan day along with Lillyman, Luck and Hohaia.
shook alot of Manly players to to be a good sport.

Patu_old

Have always rated Simon as a player, and thought all he needed was time to grow into the position of captain.

Simon does so many small things that often go unnoticed, but they more than likely win us games. I'd rate him as the best defensive second-rower in the game, and he's also got a decent offload and a bit of toe on him as well. A nicely balanced, all-round player in my opinion.

I think he's similar to a Richie McCaw type captain - leads by his actions, but can communicate his thoughts to players/coaches/media when required. I always disagreed with the idea that your captain needed to be the loud, boisterous, bossy kind of player.

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah Simone is the man. He seems to go through phases, whether injury plays a part I'm not sure. He'll have periods in the season where he just doesn't look all there on attack. He won't be one to bust 20 tackles a game but those finals games where he bends the line with his legs pumping are excellent. Especially given he is such a good defensive player. Anyway happy he's our captain, can't imagine anyone else leading us out now tbh.

EnterFien_old

I think his speak after the Grand final sums up what a true captain he is

fitzy_old

the lift he has given the team as well has been awesome. Like what was said earlier, the boys would run over broken glass to get to the brick wall for the guy. A true inspiration, that has taken time to mature. Don't forget, he had big shoes to fill, and it's turned out, he's done it very, very well.
Good onya Simon
GO THE WARRIORS:mt:

Jesbass_old

I think his speak after the Grand final sums up what a true captain he is

I missed the speech. (I know...I was there, but Radio Sport called me up...)

Does anyone have a copy of what he said? Would love a video version if possible.

Northern_Union

I turned the TV off straight after the final whistle, wasn't in the mood to watch the Manly guys get there gongs. But i'd also be interested in hearing Simons speech now. In the last 6 to 8 weeks Mannerings captaincy has really come on leaps and bounds. I was really not impressed with his leadership for most of the season but he really has grown into the roll.

kiwi's 13-6_old

great defensive player his hit ups and metres in attack are ok, good for someone who dose so much in defence if you look at other people with huge work rates in defebnce eg alan tongue or micheal luck there stat in attack are really poor, mannerings work rate in attack is decent often very good. has an ok passing game his long passes are not very good tho! he is deceptivily strong and has decent pace.

got to say on 2 big occasions now ive seen him do the hit up the guts that made good metre got the team on the front foot with a fast play the ball... for the kiwi's against australia in last years tri nations and the semi against melbourne

Last edited by a moderator: