Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
yet played hooker for Samoa in the world cup and killed it.
He will be a hooker and sit on bench covering halves, hooker and even lock. Metcalf or TMM will play off for the 6 role. I reckon he takes over from Sironen.

The recruitment of Capewell is interesting as to how Ford’s role evolves. Instead of playing 80, he may play 60 - he tired in the back end of games.

Volkman will be groomed to take over from SJ from 2025 with defence being his work on.

Metcalf needs a kicking game if he wants 7 in 2025 so if he gets the nod this year, I expect more variation on fifth tackle plays with him doing some kicking both for field position and in the attacking third.

I’m picking that Webby wants us to be a threat on both sides of the field and can come at teams from any angle.

Think total football. We are building towards total league where all players are ball playing, fast, powerful and multi skilled.

Niukore and Barnett will play in the middle with Tohu and AFB (or his replacement), Zyon Maiu’u and probably Tom Ale (who has really been forgotten about)

I suspect Tom Ale may well have a break out year after dropping away last year to work on some things. I personally think he may be our starting prop.

We have a great looking side and if anything, Jazz may struggle to make the bench with the talent we have.

I’m excited. All in all our recruitment has been solid. The only question mark is AFB and a potential replacement. But we have 12 months to sort that.

I’m picking that Webby wants us to be a threat on both sides of the field and can come at teams from any angle.

Think total football. We are building towards total league where all players are ball playing, fast, powerful and multi skilled.
This is 100% what it looked like when it was all working for us this year. Anyone with the ball was a threat and teams couldn't match the tempo. Off all teams (Penrith aside) we looked most deadly off plays with 4+ dummy runners flying all over the place and options everywhere.

Jacob Preston? Granted he is a decent player and would potentially be good value due to the existing 4 years on his contract (till end of 27), but he is still a second rower. Would have thought that a prop would be what we would be wanting in return.
Yeah makes u think either-
A) We already have a prop lined up or....
B) Hes all in on niukore and barnett playing in the middle.

NRL market watch: Wests Tigers officially withdraw offer for Addin Fonua-Blake | Daily Telegraph​

The 50km trip down the M4 could be about to become a whole lot busier.
The intense three-way battle for Penrith and NSW star Jarome Luai is becoming clearer, with Canterbury emerging as favourites to secure the off-contract Panther.

And St George Illawarra is clear favourites to sign Warriors prop Addin Fonua-Blake for 2025. The Bulldogs dropped out of the race for Fonua-Blake on Tuesday and Wests Tigers did the same on Wednesday.

“I’ll give you an exclusive, we’ve actually withdrawn our offer for Addin Fonua-Blake,” new Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson told SEN.

The Bulldogs remain intent on securing Luai and appear prepared to meet his wishes for a five-year deal worth more than $5m. Wests Tigers remain confident they will land Luai, despite the demise of the club’s senior leadership.

In-demand Panther Jarome Luai.

In-demand Panther Jarome Luai.
Luai is under contract at Penrith until the end of next season and has an offer on the table to remain at the foot of the mountains, although the Panthers are unable to match rival bids for their champion five-eighth.

“Jarome would be, like with any club, a terrific cquisition,” major sponsor Arthur Laundy said. “The guy very obviously has ability. If he is leaning towards us then I’d be thrilled.

“But I’m not aware that is the case at this stage. That’s a ‘Gus’ (Phil) Gould thing.

“I know there have been discussions. He is a good footballer and I’d love to have him on board. He is an exciting player and is 100 per cent heart. He does a wonderful job for Penrith. We’re lucky that we’ve had a couple of the Penrith players come over.”

Departed Wests Tigers boss Justin Pascoe had been involved in the Luai negotiations, with the club’s offer up to $1.2m a year.

Addin Fonua-Blake will leave the Warriors after next year. Picture: NRL Photos

Addin Fonua-Blake will leave the Warriors after next year. Picture: NRL Photos
Luai would feel comfortable at Belmore alongside former Penrith players Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau, Jaeman Salmon and newcomer Stephen Crichton.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo had no doubt Luai could be a dominant half.

“Jarome can do anything he wants, really,” Ciraldo told the Big Sports Breakfast.

“He is a quality player who loves footy and he loves his teammates.

“That’s the challenge of someone like that if he is looking for that challenge.

“His winning ratio in every grade he has played is unbelievable, so yeah Jarome can do anything he wants if he puts his mind to it.”

Yeah makes u think either-
A) We already have a prop lined up or....
B) Hes all in on niukore and barnett playing in the middle.
If Barnett is used off the bench as a prop/second rower/lock and Niukore is used as a middle forward, I could see us short an experienced second rower. We’ve got Capewell and Ford but other than that we’ve got a debutant in Laban and Sifakula out for a portion of the season. Can of course shift Niukore and Barnett being predominantly second rowers throughout their careers.

If Barnett is used off the bench as a prop/second rower/lock and Niukore is used as a middle forward, I could see us short an experienced second rower. We’ve got Capewell and Ford but other than that we’ve got a debutant in Laban and Sifakula out for a portion of the season. Can of course shift Niukore and Barnett being predominantly second rowers throughout their careers.
and thats where a preston or sua signing starts to make a little sense... If we are looking at trading afb for an edge forward, nikora would be the dream.

Great news. If they were to bring in exemptions/a soft cap, it should be to keep homegrown or tenured players imo, not to get back at a rugby boss who isn't even there anymore.

At a stretch, a cap exception to sign young players from NT, WA, SA, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Tassie, and the South Island could work, or something like the NFL International Programme (which allows a team to have an extra practice squad spot, eg. Usually there is only 10 but the Jets got 11 since they had Val Homes) where teams could be allowed a 7th development contract slot to use.

and thats where a preston or sua signing starts to make a little sense... If we are looking at trading afb for an edge forward, nikora would be the dream.
There’s been speculation for so long that I felt like it would likely be Papali’i return. Probably the ideal playing weight to fill second row and front row if needed. Do think Webster will probably back this squad now like he did last season and any recruitment would be if AFB agitates for an earlier than early release?

Naufahu Whyte has resigned with the Roosters.
I bet it was music to goulds ears hearing Taylan May say he wants to play with his brothers. Was speculation Terrell May was going to bulldogs and with it looking likely Crichton will play fullback, they’d pick up a good centre too. They’d probably be prepared to get Tyrone May at the end of his contract too to make it a reality for all 3 brothers to play in a team together in a couple of years. Roosters already having Terrell May might see it handy too if Taylan May wants to play on his team?

Needaname
Just read an SMH article with quotes from the presser and also the recent statement re withdrawing from AFB.
Earlier today he claims
“I will not recruit a player that Benji Marshall does not want at the club”.
Hours later after speaking to Benji about the current deals on offer he announces that they have withdrawn their offer for AFB.
Does this mean Benji was not sold on AFB? In what world would you be offering a contract to a player that the coach doesn’t want to have at the club?
The offer came as a bit of a surprise, who actually put forward the offer.

Seems like whatever AFB is saying at some of the clubs he’s met with so far aren’t leaving a good impression.
Interesting. I guess it's possible Benji just doesn't want another big money forward at the club when he knows it's the backs they need to strengthen - doesn't necessarily mean he has a problem with AFB specifically.

Interesting. I guess it's possible Benji just doesn't want another big money forward at the club when he knows it's the backs they need to strengthen - doesn't necessarily mean he has a problem with AFB specifically.
It doesn’t, but certainly is interesting that their offer is pulled right after the bulldogs who were citing attitude concerns. Tigers had thrown a big offer so obviously had some genuine interest.

Sounds like the Tigers going after AFB was just the case of a useless CEO looking at a big signing to appease the fans/media rather than fashioning a long term plan for success.
I always though it was strange considering it is one area where they are very strong.
Richardson will make a huge difference to that club!!
I still think it’s only bottom teams that pay over a mill for a prop. I know how important they are but I recall Brandy saying the Panthers would never pay close to a mill for a prop. He said it’s bad roster management, it ok for a bottom team to try jump a couple of spots up the ladder. But for long term sustained success, you can’t pay that for a prop. I know Hass is on a mill but you watch the Broncos depth fall away (already lost a few this year and more to go) Broncos will go well until they get a few injuries….

I still think it’s only bottom teams that pay over a mill for a prop. I know how important they are but I recall Brandy saying the Panthers would never pay close to a mill for a prop. He said it’s bad roster management, it ok for a bottom team to try jump a couple of spots up the ladder. But for long term sustained success, you can’t pay that for a prop. I know Hass is on a mill but you watch the Broncos depth fall away (already lost a few this year and more to go) Broncos will go well until they get a few injuries….

And yet….

IMG_3955.jpeg

Sounds like the Tigers going after AFB was just the case of a useless CEO looking at a big signing to appease the fans/media rather than fashioning a long term plan for success.
I always though it was strange considering it is one area where they are very strong.
Richardson will make a huge difference to that club!!
Apparently Richardson chased Luai at every possibility around contact negotiations while at souths.

I found this to be an interesting exercise.
I've compared the Height and Weight of the last 2 Panthers GF winning forward packs with what ours may look like in a post AFB world.
We actually compare quite well, and i think shows that Webby is somewhat attempting to replicate the Panthers set up.
The one glaring issue is Afoa vs the giants Smith and Kikau.
The 2024 side with AFB in place of Afoa looks solid.

This has also reinforced my thought that Walker and Jazz dont fit in the same side (despite some good combinations last season, looking back I see those games were "only" wins against Cowboys x2, Dogs, Sharks and losses to the Knights and Storm)

We should use Jazz and AFB money (1.3-1.5m??) on a middle forward to take the below Afoa spot and a back rower to take Ford's spot after 2025 (I'm reading into his 1 year extension as well as the rumours of chasing Preston/Kikau etc)

LEOTA107 1.82NIUKORE106 1.88
FISHER HARRIS103 1.87BARNETT104 1.87
SORENSEN100 1.83FORD95 1.87
MARTIN103 1.83CAPEWELL100 1.89
YEO106 1.95HARRIS112 1.95
SMITH / KIKAU106 1.94 / 116 1.95AFOA113 1.88
LENIU110 1.83ALE109 1.83
GARNER / SALMON94 1.90 / 96 1.87WALKER98 1.81
AFB123 1.89
TEVAGA98 1.78
MAIU'U106 1.83
ISAIAH PAPALI'I111 1.82