• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
Shontelle Woodman 2018 2.png

Player Shontelle Woodman

Full Name
Shontelle Woodman
Date of Birth
Sep 2, 1986
Birth Location
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Nationality
  1. 🇳🇿 New Zealand
Height (cm)
158 cm
Weight (kg)
68 kg
Position/s
  1. Centre
  2. Winger
Nickname
Shonny
Warrior #
NRL Debut Date
Sep 8, 2018
NRL Debut Details
WNRL 2018, Round 1, Sydney Roosters v NZ Warriors
Warriors Debut Date
Sep 8, 2018
Warriors Debut Details
WNRL 2018, Round 1, Sydney Roosters v NZ Warriors
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2018
Signed From
Papakura Sisters, Richmond Roses
Junior Club/s
Richmond Roses
Previous Club/s
Papakura Sisters, Richmond Roses
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
Status
Retired
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shontelle_Woodman
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/shontelle-woodman/summary.html

mt.wellington

Contributor

Shontelle Woodman (born 2 September 1986) is a New Zealand rugby league footballer who played as a centre for the New Zealand Warriors in the NRL Women's Premiership.

In 2011, while playing for Papakura, Woodman was named the Auckland Rugby League Player of the Year.

In 2014, Woodman made her Test debut for New Zealand, playing alongside her twin sister Sharnita, in a 12–8 win over Australia.

On 3 May 2015, Woodman started on the wing and scored a try for New Zealand in their 14–22 loss to Australia at Suncorp Stadium.

On 2 December 2017, Woodman started at centre in New Zealand's 2017 Women's Rugby League World Cup final loss to Australia. She scored three tries in the tournament.

On 31 July 2018, Woodman was named in the New Zealand Warriors NRL Women's Premiership squad. In Round 1 of the 2018 NRL Women's season, she made her debut for the Warriors in a 10–4 win over the Sydney Roosters.

NZWarriors.com

Woodman primed for second Cup crack​

Corey Rosser
Fri 21 Jul 2017, 07:00 am
Shontelle Woodman 131.jpg

It has taken longer than she expected, with a stopover in a sport foreign to most in this part of the world, but Shontelle Woodman is determined to fulfil her Rugby League World Cup dream at the end of the year.

After missing the opportunity in 2013 due to the birth of daughter, Arahi-Rose, Woodman then dedicated herself to a different goal on the world stage, shifting across to kabaddi, a growing global team sport played predominantly in South Asia, helping the New Zealand women's team to a silver medal at the 2014 World Cup.

"It was something different that you never think you will get to go to, and to go to a place like India and play was amazing," Woodman told NRL.com.

"I went along to a few trainings and enjoyed the sport, and we had a few girls in the team who played rugby.

"To come second was pretty amazing, and even though it's small in the way that not too many people know about it or play it in New Zealand or Australia, it is huge in India and places like that."

Her time in kabaddi, which she combined with playing league in the Auckland women's competition, also had benefits for the 30-year-old centre's development on the footy field.

"Some little technical parts are similar to league, because you need to know how to take someone down in the correct way so you don't get hurt as well," she said.

"So it definitely comes into my mind when I am doing my contact and tackling now."

Having last represented the Kiwi Ferns in 2015, Woodman now has her eyes firmly set on making the final New Zealand squad alongside twin sister Sharnita Woodman, a dual national league and union representative who is back in the frame after the New Zealand Rugby League altered rules to allow Australian-based players to be eligible for the Kiwi Ferns this month.

"It was always the goal for me and Sharnita, obviously having a baby changed the time frame, but I have been working over the last few years to make sure I am ready," Shontelle said.

"We have played two league Tests together. It was amazing, and we were both big Brisbane Broncos fans so playing at Suncorp Stadium and winning a Test there was special.

"We check in with each other a lot right now, make sure we are both working, make each other push that bit harder.

"The preparation is going pretty well, I am getting about two sessions in a day and working on the things the coach wants from me.

"It's just about making sure you stay in the right frame of mind."

Kiwi Ferns coach Tony Benson said Shontelle had stood out in all of the trials so far this year, highlighting her commitment to the World Cup, which sees her doing a number of personal training sessions on top of weekly team activities.

"'Shonny' was one of the standout centres in both attack and defence at our nationals. Her decision making with ball in hand is outstanding, and her defence is very solid, so I am excited to have her in the squad," Benson said.

"She trains so hard, she's doing boxing and other things and getting herself into great shape.

"Like all of them, her commitment is amazing, I am in awe of them, this week at training Shonny had her vehicle there, with a mattress in the back and her child watching TV while she trained. They do all this while juggling other stuff in their lives."

shontelle-woodman2_orig.jpg
Shontelle Woodman
Nickname: Shonny / Shonie
Position Centre/Wing, or anywhere
Date of Birth 02/09/1986
Birthplace Taranaki
Height TALL 158cm
Nationality NZ Maori / European
Junior Club/s -
Role Models Choc (aka Trish Hina), Beyonce, Serena Williams
Favourite NRL Team Broncos
Favourite NRL Player Darren Lockyer & Wally Lewis
Favourite Food Pad Thai
Favourite Movie Love & Basketball
Favourite Saying/Quote Delight yourself in the Lord and he shall give you the desires of your heart
Most memorable moment in Rugby League Playing at the Rugby League World Cup & winning my first Club Championship
Most memorable moment outside of Rugby League Watching my daughter learn new things
Goal for the year: Win Club Championship with the Roses then play for the Kiwi Ferns and NZ Warriors
Rugby League Rep Achievements
  • Counties 2010 - 2015
  • Akarana 2017 & 2018
  • Kiwi Ferns 2014, 2015, 2018 World Cup
  • NRL Women Warriors 2018
  • 2014 Wollongong test match vs Australia
  • 2015 ANZAC test vs Australia (Brisbane)
  • Akarana Falcons rugby league 2017
  • Counties Manukau Stingrays rugby league champions 2010, 2012, 2013,2014
  • ARL Women’s Rugby League Player of the year 2011
  • Club player of year 2012
  • Club best back 2014
  • Club Top Try Scorer 2014
  • NZ Women’s NRL 9s rugby league squad 2014
  • NZ Kiwi Fern (Women’s Rugby League) 2014, 2015