Mar 1, 1971
Birth Location
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Warriors Debut Date
Mar 13, 2006
Warriors Debut Details
March 12 2006, Round 1 vs Melbourne Storm at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2006
  2. 2007
  3. 2008
  4. 2009
  5. 2010
  6. 2011
Signed From
Sydney Roosters (NSW Cup Coach)
Current Club
Penrith Panthers
Status
Active
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Cleary
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/ivan-cleary/summary.html

mt.wellington

Contributor
Ivan Cleary (COACH)

Ivan Cleary coach 3.jpg

After leaving the Warriors Cleary originally intended to join the Huddersfield Giants in the Super League but instead retired to take up an opportunity to join the Sydney Roosters as the NSWRL Premier League coach. In 2004 he coached the team to the Premiership.

Cleary coached New Zealand to the 2011 NRL Grand Final against Manly; they lost 24–10. In the following weeks, Cleary announced he was leaving to join Penrith.

Early season injuries and some poor form from the Penrith Panthers saw a tough start to Cleary's return to Sydney with Penrith sitting 15th after Round 19 of the 2012 NRL season with a 4–13 record. In 2014, Cleary took Penrith to the preliminary final before losing to Canterbury.

He was also named Dally M coach of the year in the same season. He was fired on 19 October 2015 after avoiding the wooden spoon with a final round victory over Newcastle.

He was appointed as the coach of the Wests Tigers on 3 April 2017. In Round 22 of the 2017 NRL Season, Cleary coached the Wests Tigers and coached against his son, Nathan Cleary who was playing for the Penrith Panthers in a losing effort by 28–14.

In the 2018 season, Cleary guided Wests to a ninth-placed finish narrowly missing out on a finals spot. On 11 August 2018 Cleary released a prepared statement ending speculation that he would leave the Wests Tigers to coach Penrith. Cleary said: "I advised the Panthers of my ongoing contract status with the Wests Tigers....I intend to honour this contract". On 28 October 2018, following pressure from Cleary, the Wests Tigers released Cleary from the final two years of his contract. Cleary also sent a departing text message to the Tigers playing group saying "G'day boys I hope this finds you well and enjoying your time off, I was writing to you in the hope of beating the press.. to let you know that I will no longer be your coach at Wests Tigers. "This is an extremely uncomfortable situation for me as I have genuine fondness for the club, and I have loved coaching you all.. I understand that this situation has caused some pain for people that I care about, along with putting the club in an awkward situation... I do not feel good about this. "I would have preferred to do this in person but time and circumstances have made that impossible. I hope we meet again soon and I wish you all the very best in the future. You have my number and I am always open for a chat if you wish."

On 29 October 2018, the Penrith Panthers confirmed the return of Ivan Cleary as head coach, on a 5-year deal, beginning in 2019. Ivan linked with his son Nathan Cleary and began his second stint as head coach at the Penrith Panthers.

Cleary's second spell in charge at Penrith got off to a bad start with the club winning only 2 of their first 10 matches leaving the team bottom of the table. Penrith would then go on to win their next 7 games in a row leaving them just outside the finals places. In a must win game against the Sydney Roosters in round 24, Penrith lost the match 22–6 at the Sydney Cricket Ground which meant that the club would miss out on the finals series for the first time since 2015.

In round 8 of the 2020 NRL season, Cleary coached Penrith to a 19–12 victory over the Wests Tigers. Following the full time siren, angry Wests fans shouted abuse at Cleary who was inside the coaches box. Cleary proceeded to wave and blow kisses at the Wests Tigers supporters.

Following Penrith's 28-12 round 13 victory over Canberra in the 2020 NRL season, Cleary questioned the integrity of the referees in the post match press conference by saying he felt Canberra were managed back into the game by the officials. Cleary was later fined $20,000 for his comments.

In round 19 of the 2020 NRL season, Cleary guided Penrith to victory over North Queensland 32–12 at the Queensland Country Bank Stadium. The win was Penrith's 14th in a row and also meant they had claimed the 2020 Minor Premiership, only the third time Penrith had done this in their history. On 19 October, four years since being sacked as being head coach of the Panthers, Cleary was named Dally M Coach of the Year for the second time for his efforts of Penrith's 2020 season.

Cleary guided Penrith to the 2020 NRL Grand Final on the back of a 17-game unbeaten streak. In the final, Penrith's opponents were Melbourne who raced out to a 22–0 lead. Penrith fought their way back into the game during the second half but lost the grand final 26–20.

In 2021, Cleary guided the Penrith club to a comfortable 2nd place, on 44 points. This placing them in the qualifying final against South Sydney, in which Penrith were defeated pushing them back into a knock out final the next week. After defeating both the Parramatta Eels and the Melbourne Storm, Penrith qualified for the 2021 NRL Grand Final being held at Suncorp Stadium on 3 October 2021. The Penrith club, with the guidance of Cleary, won the NRL Grand Final against South Sydney, 14–12. This made Cleary a premiership winning coach for the first time after coaching over 370 NRL games.

In 2022, Cleary won his second NRL Premiership in a row as coach of Penrith when he guided his side to a 28–12 win over the Parramatta Eels in what was considered by many experts to be one of the best all round performances from a NRL side in a Grand Final. In the 2023 NRL season, Cleary guided Penrith to the minor premiership and also their third straight premiership as they defeated Brisbane 26-24 in the 2023 NRL Grand Final. Penrith became the first team since Parramatta in the early 1980s to win three consecutive premierships.

Cleary retired at the end of 2002 following the Warriors’ grand final loss (a season in which Cleary scored a club record 242pts) to take on an assistant coach’s role with Roosters. Cleary returned to the Warriors as an assistant coach to Tony Camp the following year and took over as Warriors coach in 2006 – the year the club was docked four competition points for salary cap breaches before the season even started.
- ALAN WHITICKER

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A SEARATE THREAD FOR IVAN CLEARY PLAYING CAREER.

Please only discuss Ivans coaching career here as much as you can help it thanks. Link for the Ivan Cleary (PLAYER) thread is below...

Ran into Ivan and his wife last night on the way out from Foo Fighters in Sydney. My teen daughters got lost from me and his missus ran point. Had my Warriors cap on backwards and flipped it when I met them.

Humble, great bloke. Had nothing but good vibes about the Warriors and my daughter cut short a video when he gave a hearty Up The Wahs. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Cleary’s have a return one day.

Oh ok. Great coach and showed that like most of not all people he has a price.

Genuine awesome performance with three premierships in a row. So obviously McGuire was the obvious candidate to coach NSW?