Player Shaun Lane

RFM might turn out great under Des. I don't doubt he'll at least do better there than here. I feel the Warriors junior system can give us another player of his style in due time.

Tbh I'm a bit surprised at how calmly everyone's taking this. Lane practically fits the bill for many of the checking lists around here.

Big forward? Check
Australian Up-commer with a lot of promise? Check
Adds a point of difference to our forward pack? Check

Good to hear he's happy to play front row, bulk him up and he'd be a beast. More minutes for him there than in our back row.

Am I right in saying he's be our youngest up and coming Aussie import? .... if so that makes a bit of a change;)

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Big forward? Check
Australian Up-commer with a lot of promise? Check
Adds a point of difference to our forward pack? Check
Go back home as soon as he cracks the big time claiming homesickness? Most likely a check.

I rate Raymond Faitala-Mariner personally. Sure he has his defensive issues but most juniors developed in NZ do. Thats not to say he couldnt learn. What he does have though is a natural ball playing ability that he for whatever reason wasnt allowed to be unleash while here. A very astute pick up from Des Hasler who we know is better at his craft than our current coach. I have no doubt he'll take his time developing RFM.

One day RFM will be another one that got away and Shaun Lane will have returned back home meaning we'd have come away from this deal with nothing...

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Would you class it as 'one who got away,' when he probably needs to 'get away' to become the 'player that got away?' I just can't see RFM becoming anything out of the ordinary at this club. Perhaps he'll come home as a more complete player in the future.

Shaun Lane; "teacher aide... key to success is perseverance... I want to achieve a university degree"..... is he really going to fit in here? ;)

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Would you class it as 'one who got away,' when he probably needs to 'get away' to become the 'player that got away?' I just can't see RFM becoming anything out of the ordinary at this club. Perhaps he'll come home as a more complete player in the future.
Fair enough. Sadly thats just another indictment on the club.

BTW I dont know if Shaun Lane has been signed but Raymond Faitala-Mariner is definitely gone. Just had it confirmed from another player. Cant get a hold of RFM...

One day RFM will be another one that got away and Shaun Lane will have returned back home meaning we'd have come away from this deal with nothing...

Lets hope that's not the case but we may well have moved on to someone else by then anyway ... it's only a single year contract, if he proves himself in that time we could secure him on a longer term contract after that.

Go back home as soon as he cracks the big time claiming homesickness? Most likely a check.

I rate Raymond Faitala-Mariner personally. Sure he has his defensive issues but most juniors developed in NZ do. Thats not to say he couldnt learn. What he does have though is a natural ball playing ability that he for whatever reason wasnt allowed to be unleash while here. A very astute pick up from Des Hasler who we know is better at his craft than our current coach. I have no doubt he'll take his time developing RFM.

You might be right. I don't think that means we'll come away from the deal with nothing though. He, like Maloney before him, has to crack the big time first.

Maloney helped the Warriors reach their 2nd grand final. After growing so accustomed to losing I'd look back on this deal fondly if Lane just helps us get in the top 8 during his time here.

Is he angry ?
He doesnt look angry enough
He looks like a baby faced kid.

Still, our backrowers we recruit here look like little guys. It makes sense they swapped a player that may prove too small for the position for someone at the other extreme.

RFM
Ikahihifo
Bhana
Taylor
Palavi

A lot of shorties for backrowers there.

Then there is the Towering Afro backrower that plays like a midget.

Last edited:

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Fair enough. Sadly thats just another indictment on the club.

BTW I dont know if Shaun Lane has been signed but Raymond Faitala-Mariner is definitely gone. Just had it confirmed from another player. Cant get a hold of RFM...

I tend to agree with you, that it is an indictment on the club, but then again people need various life experiences and perspectives to become well-rounded.

We kind of need the gene pool diluted when all these youngsters coming through the system have the same flaws. Some of our players never experience life out of their backyard. Looking at the superstars of the modern game; Cronk, Slater, Inglis, Thurston, Smith. None of those guys have made their name for themselves playing in their local team. They all are products of different systems and experiences.

Nice trade I remember watching this kid last year thinking wtf do the doggies get these beasts. Bring him on, RFM has had opportunity to make 1st Grade his own.
Good swap & possibly a good career move for RFM as well.

Last edited:
Good trade, Warriors need size in the forwards. RFM hasn't shone in first grade and hes looked completely lost on a few occasions. To me he looks like he is waiting for the Warriors to get the ball when he is on the field and unfortunately in most games he has played in the Warriors havent had much ball.

Reactions: Sup42
I recall watching RFM in NYC. He never really stood out for me. In NSW Cup, once every 6 weeks he'd play really well. In between times there was still the soft hit ups, handling errors, and really poor defence. I think people look at RFM and picture what they want to see - I hear people say he's a good ball player in other forums, I don't think I've ever seen him offload in first grade. People say he's big, but he never broke tackles. What he did have was decent footwork at the line, and with a higher workrate maybe he could be decent. But then his defence - yuck.

I saw RFM play one good first grade game, v Gold Coast. That second half though, they'd given up the ghost. Paul Staladi and Paul Atkins would have been dynamite in that second half.

Shaun Lane, big tall thing, with good speed, late footwork, and an offload. Knows how to run a line. Our backrow is all hard workers, but this guy is bit different. He makes metres, and he makes edge defenders make decisions which creates space. He's no Sione or Sam Lousi, this bloke moves quicker than those turdles, and he can play before or through the line.

Personally, I say a big win for the Warriors. Both Ligi Sao and Shaun Lane are different and can make a difference. Both are good combination back-row/front row talents.

It's a fair point.
Maybe we can swap them back in a couple of years:).
Tongue in cheek but there's a good chance he will want to return to NZ in the future and if he does you can be sure he'll be a better player for the experience.
I rate rfm as well. He's got huge potential and the dogs are a great club for him to go to.
Lane also has huge potential and is one big mofo and we could definitely do with one of them so it'll be interesting to see how he goes.
A little disappointed to lose rfm but stoked to be getting lane in return.

Last edited:
I think it's a good deal for both clubs. Both offer a point of difference. Des obviously has enough big boppers and is looking for a possible workman like back rower and we are after a bit of grunt. Think this will work for both

Reactions: Defence

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor

How can u get home sick when every week u go back for mum to do the washing....lol

But it would be great if he stayed on like lillyman or campion

Last edited: