Player Shaun Lane

The difference is Papalii went to another club and performed straight away. Lane went to Manly for two years and is in his 4th year at Parramatta. He’s also playing in a good team where there are at least three other quality 2nd rowers in their team.

I don’t think you can keep people on the books for five years hoping they’ll turn out well eventually. Players will look for opportunities elsewhere and it’s a high risk that you are going to be wasting money on a flop.
Different courses for different horses or vice versa (I never remember) will get different results a lot of the time.
Agree, it's a gamble to wait for something to pay off, it may never.

The difference is Papalii went to another club and performed straight away. Lane went to Manly for two years and is in his 4th year at Parramatta. He’s also playing in a good team where there are at least three other quality 2nd rowers in their team.

I don’t think you can keep people on the books for five years hoping they’ll turn out well eventually. Players will look for opportunities elsewhere and it’s a high risk that you are going to be wasting money on a flop.
Exactly. There is an opportunity cost of keeping someone to long, waiting for them to come good. Other players opportunities gets blocked.

Really it’s often players attitude that hold them back. Staying at the same club, Lane and Papalii my have never excelled as it reinforces that their attitude was ok. It’s by moving them on and putting that additional pressure to perform that they either seem to step up or fade away…

I wouldn't put Lane down as bad development by the Warriors I'd put it down as bad recruitment.

Lane has said on a Podcast he was never going to stay here and didn't want to move to New Zealand. So it was only ever for the season. He said the Warriors were aware of that.

We were told it was a swap for RFM. More like RFM was wanting out and the Bulldogs wanted him they freed up a spot on their roster and got rid of someone they didn't want.

The Warriors might have been fine with it just for the season and may have no one ready so it improved their depth. Too long ago to remember. Or they may have thought they could have convinced him to stay.

Reactions: matiunz
I wouldn't put Lane down as bad development by the Warriors I'd put it down as bad recruitment.

Lane has said on a Podcast he was never going to stay here and didn't want to move to New Zealand. So it was only ever for the season. He said the Warriors were aware of that.

We were told it was a swap for RFM. More like RFM was wanting out and the Bulldogs wanted him they freed up a spot on their roster and got rid of someone they didn't want.

The Warriors might have been fine with it just for the season and may have no one ready so it improved their depth. Too long ago to remember. Or they may have thought they could have convinced him to stay.
We always get the shit end of the stick, always! I get sick of being a bottom team year after year and every year we say how good our prospects are with our new signings and we keep going backwards year after year!

Reactions: snake77
We always get the shit end of the stick, always! I get sick of being a bottom team year after year and every year we say how good our prospects are with our new signings and we keep going backwards year after year!
We have definitely gone backwards. A few years ago we'd have a thread each year debating if we'd make the finals. No need for that recently.

We can't even put our poor form or losing streaks down to a key player being injured.

It seems like we have gone from a club finishing 9-11 to a team finishing 12-15.