Fonzie

Fonzie

Contributor
Wouldve well n truly used up the yearly quota by then........never know tho, she says if im a good boy......

Anyway before the "get this thread back on track" hammer comes out, unfortunately for Shaun Johnson no matter how conditioned he gets, while i think he's got enough in the tank to still beat players, that manic, length of the field speed he used to have (which was so awesome in full flight) days are in the past, cant beat the clock.

We dont need him to play that way tho, if the pack are doing their job just steering the team around, finishing off sets, and getting players into position around him.......and the odd flash of brilliance....job done.
Yep, Shaun Johnson only needs to be quick over about 10m. Just enough to skip on the outside of a defender or into a pocket. From there he has all the skills to put any half decent support runner away - short pass, long pass, kick.

Toookey

Toookey

I wonder if the coach/other people have got in SJs ear to talk about the fact this is almost certainly his last year, and he needs to start thinking about his legacy.

What does he want people to remember about him?
While he had that X factor and has a highlight reel most players would cream over, largely he's been labeled a bit of a premadonna and princess for refusing to get stuck in. Has had a fair few sulks, with the "youse got what you wanted" coming to mind.

Hopefully someone's been in his ear to encourage him to bring out his best this year, take the line on and to not die wondering.
He's clearly worked on his body during the off-season and mentally he should be refreshed living at home around whanau. Legit no excuses this year.

Kestrel84

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
It baffles me how everyone forgets how he played last season …. I can’t see what changed other than a new bod… 🤷🏻‍♂️
What's changed is I used to want to be Shaun Johnson because of Kayla, now I want to be Kayla because of Shaun Johnson.

Ok, seriously though. I think Shaun Johnson just needs a stronger team around him and a good coach. In fact I'd say that about almost any player we've had the last few years. Shaun Johnson is part of the puzzle and not the solution, and thinking he is Mr.fix it has been our problem for a decade. Will a better coach bring out what we need?

Do we have a better coach? Tune in next time, same bat time, same bat channel.

Motota

Motota

It baffles me how everyone forgets how he played last season …. I can’t see what changed other than a new bod… 🤷🏻‍♂️
He's clearly a family man and may have a sensitive mind as well, if he was in some sort of funk from being away from his wife and young kid he's clearly not going to be playing at his best. I get it's his job to suit up and play and he gets paid handsomely rah rah rah but money isn't happiness. You need to be happy and enjoying the game to preform.
He'll be a much better player this year, close to home and family support.

Tonbridge (Swanley)

Tonbridge (Swanley)

He's having photos taken. Lighting design is meant to be flattering.

Is this going to be the 2023 version of running up the sand dunes?
100% correct.

All the gear and no idea spring to mind.

Yes he looks ripped, will it help get his speed etc back, no. Does it help him being fit for the start of the season, yes.

Will it stop him getting injured? No.

Last edited:

warriorsfan92

Seems to be a lot of rehabilitation and physio experts in this thread, saying being lean is a negative. The guy can’t win. If he had fat he’d get shit, now he’s lean as fuck he’s getting shit. The fallacy of being lean increasing injury risk is incorrect. Causation vs correlation argument. Being lean simply means his eating is in check, or his conditioning is - both two positives from a leader in this group. Just keeping a few of you ‘experts’ in check. He’d handle contact better sure, but is his job to tackle? Or have superior fitness to make the right decisions through the full 80? League players are generally more lean than other sports due to the demands of the sport itself. By this narrative, all these players would be fucked. There’s some pretty elite players in this mix.

Attachments

• 5E940BF8-65F3-40D5-BE47-D8C39AE2059B.png
    5E940BF8-65F3-40D5-BE47-D8C39AE2059B.png
    206.2 KB · Views: 76
Noitall

Noitall

Seems to be a lot of rehabilitation and physio experts in this thread, saying being lean is a negative. The guy can’t win. If he had fat he’d get shit, now he’s lean as fuck he’s getting shit. The fallacy of being lean increasing injury risk is incorrect. Causation vs correlation argument. Being lean simply means his eating is in check, or his conditioning is - both two positives from a leader in this group. Just keeping a few of you ‘experts’ in check. He’d handle contact better sure, but is his job to tackle? Or have superior fitness to make the right decisions through the full 80? League players are generally more lean than other sports due to the demands of the sport itself. By this narrative, all these players would be fucked. There’s some pretty elite players in this mix.
That’s been his career to never live up to the fan’s expectations, though sometimes warranted through his salary he was collecting. Everything I’m seeing, if his body can hold up I think he’s in for a big one. Probably finally taking some leadership on too. What I like is Volkman isn’t going to be given the halfback role and is going to have to work for it, alternatively Shaun Johnson doesn’t have an ownership like in the past of his spot so there’s things to work towards for the pair. Te Maire Martin and Metcalf in the same situation, the competition for spots in the team is what is see differently to the previous few seasons. If Shaun Johnson can stay fit and healthy and shows his worth, I’d definitely be extending his contract by a year or two. Even if Volkman takes over, Shaun Johnson is worthy depth and what he can pass onto the halves is invaluable.

Warriorsitsouryear

Warriorsitsouryear

He doesn't have excuses now. He had thought he would have been living with his partner and child amongst other supporters in his network. He didn't have that in Aus and the off-field situation clearly affected on-field.

Add to that we had a pack that couldn't get enough meters after Lodge left and we had the worst defense in the competition.... Both of those two points are absolute killers for a half having to play on the back foot and often their own try line. Furthermore, as much as I like Walsh - he is very much learning the game at 19 and couldn't offer a 'voice' from the back that aids the half. Throw in other kids and rotate them at half (standoff) and three people rotating at hooker due to Egan's injuries. There was never a settled spine.

There was a murmur that there wasn't total agreement on the game plan by Brown but that could also be people trying to muddy Shaun Johnson. Let's face it - Browns game plan was very one dimensional that didn't have line speed in defense, variation in attack, plan B, C & D and didn't offer support runners for the ball carrier. ...I could be wrong?

Now, the squad and team is better, the coach is better... a lot better from what I've seen and heard (no inside knowledge), game plan will be better... has to be. Defense and Attack will be improved, More experience in the squad and team, players that want to be here are, they have the friends and family around them (so important, especially for our lads), we are at home in Aucks!

Lastly...I want to believe!

Last edited:

warriorsfan92

That’s been his career to never live up to the fan’s expectations, though sometimes warranted through his salary he was collecting. Everything I’m seeing, if his body can hold up I think he’s in for a big one. Probably finally taking some leadership on too. What I like is Volkman isn’t going to be given the halfback role and is going to have to work for it, alternatively Shaun Johnson doesn’t have an ownership like in the past of his spot so there’s things to work towards for the pair. Te Maire Martin and Metcalf in the same situation, the competition for spots in the team is what is see differently to the previous few seasons. If Shaun Johnson can stay fit and healthy and shows his worth, I’d definitely be extending his contract by a year or two. Even if Volkman takes over, Shaun Johnson is worthy depth and what he can pass onto the halves is invaluable.
Key point here is depth. We finally have 2 high quality halves in metcalf and volkman as our back up options, applying pressure on our halves. Not for a few years this has happened. The other thing is they’re both very young, still learning but have been identified as having a huge future, particularly volkman. It’s great to have some accountability, and I have a feeling webster won’t have an issue making changes if things aren’t working. It’ll also be nice to see players rewarded if they’re playing well in the lower grades.

Since95

Since95

What's changed is I used to want to be Shaun Johnson because of Kayla, now I want to be Kayla because of Shaun Johnson.

Ok, seriously though. I think Shaun Johnson just needs a stronger team around him and a good coach. In fact I'd say that about almost any player we've had the last few years. Shaun Johnson is part of the puzzle and not the solution, and thinking he is Mr.fix it has been our problem for a decade. Will a better coach bring out what we need?

Do we have a better coach? Tune in next time, same bat time, same bat channel.
I agree with most of this. He had a decent team. Around him. Hynes didn't inherit a too different team from him and look what happened to the sharks last year.

I think you're right for too long he carried the hopes of everyone. When in reality he was a brilliant piece in a functioning team when he broke into the scene.

Skill wise he CAN do it all, but role wise he's not doing his core skills well at all.

But I'm hopeful someone (Webster) got to him. And has got his head straight and laid out the blueprint for. His season.

Beastmode

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
Key point here is depth. We finally have 2 high quality halves in metcalf and volkman as our back up options, applying pressure on our halves. Not for a few years this has happened. The other thing is they’re both very young, still learning but have been identified as having a huge future, particularly volkman. It’s great to have some accountability, and I have a feeling webster won’t have an issue making changes if things aren’t working. It’ll also be nice to see players rewarded if they’re playing well in the lower grades.

Last year the story was we finally had a quality full back and half in Walsh and Chanel Harris-Tavita. That Shaun Johnson just needed to facilitate, not do anything fancy. Let the young guns - razzle dazzle....

Noitall

Noitall

Just watching the Kiwis play Aussie in 2018 with Shaun Johnson playing five eighth. Think many forget that he’s played there predominantly in recent history, I think having last season back at halfback along with his current physique will serve him well for leading us around this season.

Reactions: Motota
Motota

Motota

Just watching the Kiwis play Aussie in 2018 with Shaun Johnson playing five eighth. Think many forget that he’s played there predominantly in recent history, I think having last season back at halfback along with his current physique will serve him well for leading us around this season.
Played 7 a bit in 2021 I think, was pretty good returning from injury but then got injured again toward the end of the season.

Reactions: Defence and Noitall
Noitall

Noitall

Played 7 a bit in 2021 I think, was pretty good returning from injury but then got injured again toward the end of the season.
Watching this particular game he seems to be doing a lot of the long kicks and Nikorima, who’s playing halfback is doing some of the short kicking as another option. Remember in 2018 he had a lot of success from his short dropouts too what could be handy again with one winger guaranteed in Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

Reactions: Defence and Motota