Player Shaun Johnson

Nathan Brown was supposedly about to drop Johnson
I call bs on that one......Brown had multiple oppertunities to drop him but he didnt.....as he had oppertunities to make a host of changes to an underperforming team but for the most kept to the status quo....hence he had to go

If anything Volkman shouldve been bought in as soon as Chanel indicated he no longer wanted to be part of the club

Stacey making the changes Brownie shouldve ages ago......the sorry thing is in the short term it still aint gonna stop us getting an absolute towelling by the Panthers this week.

The main concern from last nights discussion on NRL360 was the line that he may not see out the season.

We have already lost Nikorima and Taylor from the start of the season. Sure they were both replaced with Asi and Volkman coming in but its more that if he retires early and it's past when we can sign a replacement if anyone gets injured.

There is a difference between being dropped and playing with Redcliffe (even this hasn't happened yet) and retiring and likely returning home to New Zealand.

Stacey Jones has already brought it Volkman and there has been talk of Johnson's form. If he doesn't improve this week he could be at risk of missing the homecoming game. When he signed he talked a lot about playing again in front of the Mt Smart crowd.

Similar to the "how have we fallen off the cliff thread". Remember the start of the year there was a lot of talk here and from commentators on our halves depth and who would partner Johnson in the halves.

Not only has his form been average besides a few nice tries for Arthurs and the clutch plays at the start of the year. But overall our halves haven't been great.

Two have left already. Chanel Harris-Tavita is leaving at the end of the season. If Johnson doesn't see out his contract it is quite a change from the start of this season where we had depth in the halves and it was what combination works best.

Deffo has me worried about having a spine of Volkman, Metcalf and Walsh next year. Look at Titans this year - all the talent in the spine but if it’s young AF then they’re going to struggle with consistency.
Would look at getting an older head in to help with this - while I don’t know what Roosters plans are - they have a lot of players they want to keep (Walker, Crichton, Sualii) and will need to make a call on how they’re going to pay for them. Keary is contracted til the end of 2024, I’d be having a sneaky chat to them to see if he would come over here for a mill a year (Roosters to pay 150k of that) so we’re replacing Shaun Johnson with a player of Kearys ability for only $350k more a season, would put us in too 6 contention automatically imo.

Deffo has me worried about having a spine of Volkman, Metcalf and Walsh next year. Look at Titans this year - all the talent in the spine but if it’s young AF then they’re going to struggle with consistency.
Would look at getting an older head in to help with this - while I don’t know what Roosters plans are - they have a lot of players they want to keep (Walker, Crichton, Sualii) and will need to make a call on how they’re going to pay for them. Keary is contracted til the end of 2024, I’d be having a sneaky chat to them to see if he would come over here for a mill a year (Roosters to pay 150k of that) so we’re replacing Shaun Johnson with a player of Kearys ability for only $350k more a season, would put us in too 6 contention automatically imo.
One head knock away from retirement, we don't need anymore risk.

Cameron Munster on the other hand, or a Dylan Brown or Jackson Hastings.

Keary will only leave the Roosters if he's going to retire. Say what you want about the club and Politis, but they look after their old boys. Cordner, Friend, and Keary will be next. No way they will cut him unless he requests (why would he).

I agree though, Volkman with Metcalf as 6 next year is way too slim, especially experience wise if Shaun retires (which I think he will TBH). Off contract next year below;

FIVE-EIGHTH

Matt Frawley, Ben Hampton, Lachlan Lam, Matt Moylan, Hayze Perham, Jaeman Salmon, Billy Walters

7 players off contract

HALFBACK

Phoenix Crossland, Kurt Falls, Cooper Johns, Albert Kelly, Jock Madden, Anthony Milford, Sean O'Sullivan, Brandon Wakeham, Sam Williams

Hate to say it, but Matt Moylan is probably top of the list, with O'Sullivan and maybe Milford. We would have to wait until November and go for an early release on these guys;

FIVE-EIGHTH

Dylan Brown, Tyson Gamble, Jackson Hastings, Adam Keighran, Kurt Mann, Cameron Munster, Paul Turner, Cody Walker

8 players off contract

HALFBACK

Jakob Arthur, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Luke Brooks, Jake Clifford, Adam Clune, Kyle Flanagan, Ben Hunt, Drew Hutchison, Lachlan Ilias, Shaun Johnson, Lachlan Miller, Kodi Nikorima, Cory Paix, Jonah Pezet, Brad Schneider, Blake Taaffe, Braydon Trindall, Sam Walker, Tyran Wishart

I think Hunt will be up for grabs November potentially, he would be 33 next year and looking for a final couple seasons. Dragons haven't gone far with him, but he is a controlling experienced 7. Could be worth it for the right price.

Throwing the sink at Brown is another option, but he won't be released. I don't think he would offer value being a true 6, when we need a commander. Maybe Volkman will be that guy.

Last edited:
I call bs on that one......Brown had multiple oppertunities to drop him but he didnt.....as he had oppertunities to make a host of changes to an underperforming team but for the most kept to the status quo....hence he had to go

If anything Volkman shouldve been bought in as soon as Chanel indicated he no longer wanted to be part of the club

Stacey making the changes Brownie shouldve ages ago......the sorry thing is in the short term it still aint gonna stop us getting an absolute towelling by the Panthers this week.

I call BS on this too, seems like Brownie is getting his mates at Fox/360 to make him look better so he can get a head office role somewhere.
Outside of Kosi earlier this year, I don't think he dropped one person due to bad performance?

But this isnt the Nathan Brown thread so I digress.. I think letting Shaun Johnson go home a week earlier would've done him good, give him closer to 3 weeks in NZ rather than just over one week, that way the 'being away from family' excuse is almost completely gone. That being said, If I had to choose between Shaun Johnson and Chanel Harris-Tavita to pair with Volkman on debut, Johnson would be my choice.