Player Shaun Johnson

Sup42

Sup42

He has to go. He is a pretender,
The hallmark of having this guy drive the ship is inconsistency

True story. Go back over every single non James Maloney Shaun Johnson season and this club under his steerage has been both the agony and ecstacy round by round.

He is a temperamental boy genius who was never meant to play a team/strategic sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

J_P

Yesterday was not SJs fault. Everyone around him was absolutely useless in the first half. Not much he could do.

Reactions: 7 users
Noitall

Noitall

Yesterday was not SJs fault. Everyone around him was absolutely useless in the first half. Not much he could do.
I agree with that but I also think his attitude is what’s the problem here. There was an instance yesterday close to the end of the game where there was a couple of knock backs were called and Shaun Johnson was one them. The ball went back off the hand, then off his shins and he couldn’t pick it up. Instead of falling on the ball he seemed to just give up and another of our players cleaned it up. Whether he’s injured or what, I’m buggered if I know. Another one was when Cook went to the bin his scowling at Walsh who was also competing for the ball, actually there’s a lot of scowling at teammates when he’s contributing to some of the poor play. I’m fucked if I know whether the kick on the 2nd tackle is some game plan but he did it again yesterday close to the line building pressure, like he did in round 1 against the dragons from deep and a couple of times in games in between. Not sure if it’s an eyes up play but the rest of the team don’t often seem to know it’s coming. He has a lot to offer the team still but he needs to stop the blame game and provide the direction around the park we need. His kicking has had us most weeks winning the kick metres.

Reactions: 4 users
bangbros18

bangbros18

I just can't get when you are attacking in the red zone you would kick in goal for a repeat set on the third? Am I seeing that wrong? Why not make them work harder on defence?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Need to stop listening to Corey Parker (why anyone would want to is beyond me anyway).....not saying SJs game management hasnt been poor of late but if certain other halves had been getting those repeat sets, Parker and most of those commentators wouldve been blowing chunks about it.......i get it, their playing well in genuine contender teams but some of the commentator dick riding of favoured teams and players of late has been quite sickening.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Burncity warrior

Need to stop listening to Corey Parker.....not saying SJs game management hasnt been poor of late but if certain other halves had been getting those repeat sets, Parker and most of those commentators wouldve been blowing chunks about it.......i get it, their playing well in genuine contender teams but some of the commentator dick riding of favoured teams and players of late has been quite sickening.
Corey Parker's a fuckwit. He was harping on about how Shaun Johnson needed to do more in the first half lol..bit hard if we don't have the ball! We had like 30 percent possession. No mention of the complete lack of first grade experience around him.. all Shaun Johnson fault lol .. then I watch the storm Panthers game and the commentary is so sympathetic to storm missing Pap an Hughes it was fucking sickening. "It's understandable storms attack isn't gelling because they are missing so and so, new combinations Yada Yada Yada".. Shaun Johnson has come into a very disorganised and injury/suspension disrupted side, a very inexperienced side, he had no off season as he battled yet another bad bad injury..I'm coming across as a Shaun Johnson fan boy here lol, I'm not, I'm not defending some of his bad decision making but he hasn't been helped either.

Reactions: 15 users
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Corey Parker's a fuckwit. He was harping on about how Shaun Johnson needed to do more in the first half lol..bit hard if we don't have the ball! We had like 30 percent possession. No mention of the complete lack of first grade experience around him.. all Shaun Johnson fault lol .. then I watch the storm Panthers game and the commentary is so sympathetic to storm missing Pap an Hughes it was fucking sickening. "It's understandable storms attack isn't gelling because they are missing so and so, new combinations Yada Yada Yada".. Shaun Johnson has come into a very disorganised and injury/suspension disrupted side, a very inexperienced side, he had no off season as he battled yet another bad bad injury..I'm coming across as a Shaun Johnson fan boy here lol, I'm not, I'm not defending some of his bad decision making but he hasn't been helped either.
Yeah lol Shaun Johnson certainly seems to be their favourite whipping boy atm......and to be fair he deserves a lot of it and hasnt done himself any favours at times this season.

They certainly seem very quick to pick fault in anyone not of the favoured teams tho......couple of weeks back Roach (who lets face it is just a moronic commentator anyway) was absolutely giving it to Shaun Johnson for not making the fullback move when on the last play just on the otherside of halfway put up a bomb which came down about 5 metres from the goaline.......1 it had nice height which gave time for a defensive screen to get down there, and 2 it forced the opposition to have to work deep off their own line.....exactly the type of game management play you'd want from your half (and certainly one that both Kodi and Chanel werent capable of last season)......anyway a couple of days later Roach was commentating another game Adam Reynolds did exactly the same play straight to the opposition fullback and what do ya know?......"great heads up play.....forcing the opposition to get into a grind"....."great playmaking" heyzeuss!.....Roach, Parker....one or 2 others....i dont even bother listening to

bangbros18

bangbros18

Whilst Shaun was okay last night, he still needs to stop trying to be the hero and start getting players doing work around him.

Instead of unders get your backrow more direct and in front, then add Walsh out the back of that. Yes asi is still learning so you might want to swing to both edges and let him work on the short kicking game and short side plays.

Pretty easy stuff for a guy who's played over 200 games isn't it?

I think I just put my finger on it aye brown?

Reactions: 1 user
jmb_31

jmb_31

I think it'll make a big difference to his play when Chanel Harris-Tavita is back due to his kicking ability, can take a bit of pressure off and offers alternatives. Asi has a fantastic running game but his kicking leaves a lot to be desired. We're relying on that Shaun Johnson magic again constantly but he's just not that million dollar player anymore.

• Love
bruce

bruce

Contributor
The hallmark of having this guy drive the ship is inconsistency

True story. Go back over every single non James Maloney Shaun Johnson season and this club under his steerage has been both the agony and ecstacy round by round.

He is a temperamental boy genius who was never meant to play a team/strategic sport.
As a leader

Reactions: 1 user
wizards rage

wizards rage

Instead of unders get your backrow more direct and in front, then add Walsh out the back of that. Yes asi is still learning so you might want to swing to both edges and let him work on the short kicking game and short side plays.
It’s the way he does that ball to the backrower as well. So slow and easy to read.

Just a little more pace, promoting the ball and looking to play wide before passing back gets the defence in two minds and makes room. The way he plays it so short of the defence, it just becomes another nothing hit up.

And the others off the ball need to work. Practise, practise, practise.

Reactions: 1 users
Aman

Aman

Do you think there's some jealousy between new boy wonder and old magic Johnson?

Shaun Johnson blew up deluxe at him when they were both competing for the bombed try, it felt personal. And they haven't clicked as well or have any real chemistry on field. They dont seem to hang out outside of footy either if you look at thier social media and friends groups

Shaun Johnson being a princess probably resents Walsh for being the new face of the warriors and getting all the credit while he gets all the hate. Thats the way it should be but is Shaun Johnson mature enough to know and accept it?

Idk something doesn't feel right there.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Worried2Death

Worried2Death

Do you think there's some jealousy between new boy wonder and old magic Johnson?

Shaun Johnson blew up deluxe at him when they were both competing for the bombed try, it felt personal. And they haven't clicked as well or have any real chemistry on field. They dont seem to hang out outside of footy either if you look at thier social media and friends groups

Shaun Johnson being a princess probably resents Walsh for being the new face of the warriors and getting all the credit while he gets all the hate. Thats the way it should be but is Shaun Johnson mature enough to know and accept it?

He's supposed to be the old head giving the kid a spray when he fucks up though. That's probably part of the culture of success he picked up at Cronulla, how to win by being a total cu**.

Reactions: 6 users

Burncity warrior

He's supposed to be the old head giving the kid a spray when he fucks up though. That's probably part of the culture of success he picked up at Cronulla, how to win by being a total cu**.
That's what I thought, he should of bloody sprayed him lol..didn't Walsh spray jazz last week lol..then Addin Fonua-Blake is spraying everyone. I think it's good to see a bit of frustration to be honest when they are performing shit like this.

Reactions: 10 users
bangbros18

bangbros18

Okay I'm not the only one who thinks this! I feel like so far Johnson is playing selfishly at the moment. If it's a battle between Johnson and Walsh then Johnson can fuck off. Reece is ten times better a ball player then Johnson is even in Johnsons prime!

Reactions: 1 users