Player Shaun Johnson

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
My understanding is he requested a release to return to NZ. They granted it. Some of the places reporting it have the Sharks not paying him for that month came as a surprise to Johnson.

He would of likely stayed in Sydney and helped the club if things we normal. We live in a non normal environment. Not sure if he is in Queensland with the club or still in Sydney. They probably feel they should get on with moving their young family back to NZ as it would be a lot to sort out along with quarantine on arrival.
Makes sense, he sold his house last week and was looking to come back to NZ with his family

Reactions: 3rdstriker

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
If the Sharks have released him early, can he link up with the Warriors now to help our young halves?

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Not quite sure of the situation, and it sounds like he’s selling up his house and getting his young family back to NZ shortly, but I reckon getting Shaun Johnson in to camp even for a few days to a week would be great to build morale, get a bit of banter going with some of the young ones and a chance to have a bit of a chat about what they’re gunna do next year etc. Not an out and out hall of famer but one of the best NZ has produced, I’m sure some of those younger boys would be excited to have a bit of a yarn to him

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Sounds to me from the outside looking in that he’s decided to get out of bubbles/Sydney/COVID and get back to NZ asap before further restrictions impact his return and while he may be dirty on the Sharks for the 60k I notice he‘s still leaving when he could’ve stayed so he can’t be that butt hurt about it.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
It's an agreement between the two parties that Shaun Johnson is released and will be returning to NZ. He gave up $60k to do this. This would work for both the Sharks and Shaun Johnson.

He could have just sat back in Aussie and would have still been on Cronulla's books , being $60k better off.
Good on him, this again demonstrates his commitment to being home in NZ surrounded by family. The irony is that in a few months time he'll be back in AU with pre season training.

The above is my understanding ...

Last edited:

Greenlite

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 11, 2021
Giving up $60000 is a goodwill gesture (voluntary or not lol) to the club, and he probably earned way more profit selling his house anyway.

Coming back home is great for his wife who gets support from mom and dad and much easier looking after the kids.

Would be fun for Shaun to make some TV appearances people will be interested. Don’t know if he can chat with the boys as they are in still Aussie lol. Maybe wait for the pre season. A nice few months holiday for him and his family is nice before they have to move back to Aussie again possibly

Maybe the situation is better and Warriors can play home games in AKL and they can stay with family for weekends instead of separating the wives from their support network

Reactions: Defence

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Giving up $60000 is a goodwill gesture (voluntary or not lol) to the club, and he probably earned way more profit selling his house anyway.

Coming back home is great for his wife who gets support from mom and dad and much easier looking after the kids.

Would be fun for Shaun to make some TV appearances people will be interested. Don’t know if he can chat with the boys as they are in still Aussie lol. Maybe wait for the pre season. A nice few months holiday for him and his family is nice before they have to move back to Aussie again possibly

Maybe the situation is better and Warriors can play home games in AKL and they can stay with family for weekends instead of separating the wives from their support network
the way things are currently going, wont preseason be in Aus, then again maybe the whole of next season will be as well.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
It's an agreement between the two parties that Shaun Johnson is released and will be returning to NZ. He gave up $60k to do this. This would work for both the Sharks and Shaun Johnson.

He could have just sat back in Aussie and would have still been on Cronulla's books , being $60k better off.
Good on him, this again demonstrates his commitment to being home in NZ surrounded by family. The irony is that in a few months time he'll be back in AU with pre season training.

The above is my understanding ...
That version of events sounds much more likely.
U don’t get a release without agreeing to terms first.

Reactions: snake77

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Now that the narrative has been set that Shaun Johnson is a sook, it will be pervasive in most future news stories about him to sell papers.

Take it all with a grain of salt. I'm much more concerned by Shaun Johnson's hamstrings, quads and groin than his professionalism in his second stint with the club.

Reactions: Rizzah and Defence

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings