Player Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson 2011 Tigers.PNG

Great story, aint no secret I think so..

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/he-can-become-a-great/

WE all know he has an abundance of flair. But Warriors half Shaun Johnson is now proving he has the toughness and level head to go with it as he strives to be the leading halfback in the NRL.

And he has received the backing of the best Kiwi No.7 of them all, with Stacey Jones insisting the 23-year-old is now the complete package. Jones says toughness was the final piece of the Johnson puzzle and he now has all the tools to enter the realm of greats.
Johnson played with a groin strain in the Warriors’ 24-16 win against the Titans last Saturday and then battled through an ankle injury to steer his side to victory.
“He is definitely showing a new toughness and that completes the package,” Jones says.
“He has the ability to read the play, the speed, the flair. . . he could become one of the great halves.
“Let’s not forget he is still only 23 and his best footy is still ahead of him.
“I spoke to him last week and he was filthy on himself for not winning us the game against the Bulldogs in round 10. That shows the hard edge he has developed to his game.”
Johnson reveals how new coach Andrew McFadden, a former halfback himself in his NRL playing days, laid it on the line to him about what he expects from  his chief playmaker.
“‘Cappy’ (McFadden) is straight to the point and he really gives it to me, which is what I need,” Johnson says.
“He understands that I am a different style of player to what he was, but he is getting the best out of me every week. He said he doesn’t expect me to score the flashy 100 metre tries or take intercepts. But he does expect me to be in every play in every game, and to play tough.
“You get a good indicator of how every NRL side is going by how the halfback is performing.
“I am getting there, and the team is really starting to find its feet.”
McFadden hails Johnson’s toughness and says the Kiwi Test half has taken his advice on board.
“Shaun didn’t have any training sessions until our last captain’s run, and for young players that can sometimes really put them off,” he says. “So to go out and perform like that against the Titans under duress was really special.
“Sometimes you have to play hurt, and it is good to see him doing that.
“Shaun gets judged on whether he scores tries and makes breaks. But we really focused on the simple things that make him a good player, which is getting his hands on the ball and finding ways to get into the game through basic things like support play . . . and just running when the team needs him to.
“On the back of that comes all the things that people love to see, but we just want a consistent effort from him each week.”
Johnson has made no secret of the fact he wants to be one of the great halfbacks and McFadden is backing him every step of the way.
“Shaun wants to be the best. He is determined to do that, and I want to help him get there,” McFadden says.
“He is a real student. He likes talking about halfback play and how to develop that. He is very skilful and talented, but he still needs that direction.”
Johnson insists playing through injury is a necessity for him if the Warriors are to reach their potential.
“I want to be out there every week with the boys, and be part of something that I think can be pretty special,” Johnson says. “No NRL player takes the field 100 per cent. It is just the nature of what is a really tough comp.
I didn’t have any needles. That probably would have made it worse.”
- JOEL GOULD & TONY ADAMS

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Man I must say Shaun Johnson has matured a he'll of a lot over the last few years! I don't understand why Cronulla fans are so pissed at him?

Man I've been a massive critic of Shaun but if he comes here with this attitude hopefully it will off on the other players.

Watch the Fox news post match interview about relocating to Qld

3rdstriker

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 11, 2014
Man I thought that Johnson had sorted his game.😂.
Still goes missing in his games catch and pass catch and pass and one run in the whole game.
He Has his moments in some games but these crucial games where his team are relying on him to make those clutch plays so his team can cement a spot in the 8.
Most of the responsibility of tonight's loss should rest on Johnsons shoulders.
He's not the saviour next season like most are predicting.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Still goes missing in his games catch and pass catch and pass and one run in the whole game.
He Has his moments in some games but these crucial games where his team are relying on him to make those clutch plays so his team can cement a spot in the 8.
He isn't meant to run.

His roll has changed, he is the controlling half, distribution and kicking is where his game is at now, and that is what we need, Walsh can run.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
He was garbage tonight … but we can’t expect him to do miracles every week.. it’s just not realistic

3rdstriker

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 11, 2014
He isn't meant to run.

His roll has changed, he is the controlling half, distribution and kicking is where his game is at now, and that is what we need, Walsh can run.

He has options, he has lost pace but his controlling of the game and setting up his players was just the exact reminiscent of the Johnson the used to play for us.
Absolutely outstanding one week the gone missing the next🤔

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
He has options, he has lost pace but his controlling of the game and setting up his players was just the exact reminiscent of the Johnson the used to play for us.
Absolutely outstanding one week the gone missing the next🤔
I get it. I should have said I agree that he had a quiet game. But if you followed his Shark years he is entitled to have a quiet one here and there, on the whole he has been their best player.

Reactions: W.A warrior

3rdstriker

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 11, 2014
I get it. I should have said I agree that he had a quiet game. But if you followed his Shark years he is entitled to have a quiet one here and there, on the whole he has been their best player.

Yeah he is only human man I get that I just want Shaun to step it up at those times when we require him too.
If we are sitting at 8th position, ideally it isn't best for your gun half to have a quiet game. Just be consistent is all I'm asking🙏

Reactions: Sup42

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Absolutely outstanding one week the gone missing the next
He plays on instinct, that is the guy.

So it just works out that way.
Smart defensive coaches work to counter him and that is very frustrating to watch.

However even though I have not watched him at Cronulla at all, my guess is he is still smart enough to pick a tired defender. Andrew Johns was the same, and he really slowed down as he aged.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
He plays on instinct, that is the guy.

So it just works out that way.
Smart defensive coaches work to counter him and that is very frustrating to watch.

However even though I have not watched him at Cronulla at all, my guess is he is still smart enough to pick a tired defender. Andrew Johns was the same, and he really slowed down as he aged.
Haven't seen much of him this year but yesterday he was very ordinary. But hell that's football. Might be huge next week 🤔

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
To be fair the sharks forwards were Shiite yesterday. There was just nothing for him to exploit with the ball. And the Dragons D line had all eyes only on him 👀. On attack you see they were running it down his lane to test and tire him out. It was a smart strategy because he’s literally the only threat in the sharks line up.

We could have applied a smart strategy like that last week if we had a smart coach.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
To be fair the sharks forwards were Shiite yesterday. There was just nothing for him to exploit with the ball. And the Dragons D line had all eyes only on him 👀. On attack you see they were running it down his lane to test and tire him out. It was a smart strategy because he’s literally the only threat in the sharks line up.

We could have applied a smart strategy like that if we had a smart coach.
Any half battles behind a weak forward pack.

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
If only his big mouth would slow down with age, i know i cant speak 🤣

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
If only his big mouth would slow down with age, i know i cant speak 🤣
The guy has a personality that didn't fit with the bros, I doubt Aussies could give a shite and that seems to have been the case at the Sharks.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings