Player Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson 2011 Tigers.PNG

Great story, aint no secret I think so..

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/he-can-become-a-great/

WE all know he has an abundance of flair. But Warriors half Shaun Johnson is now proving he has the toughness and level head to go with it as he strives to be the leading halfback in the NRL.

And he has received the backing of the best Kiwi No.7 of them all, with Stacey Jones insisting the 23-year-old is now the complete package. Jones says toughness was the final piece of the Johnson puzzle and he now has all the tools to enter the realm of greats.
Johnson played with a groin strain in the Warriors’ 24-16 win against the Titans last Saturday and then battled through an ankle injury to steer his side to victory.
“He is definitely showing a new toughness and that completes the package,” Jones says.
“He has the ability to read the play, the speed, the flair. . . he could become one of the great halves.
“Let’s not forget he is still only 23 and his best footy is still ahead of him.
“I spoke to him last week and he was filthy on himself for not winning us the game against the Bulldogs in round 10. That shows the hard edge he has developed to his game.”
Johnson reveals how new coach Andrew McFadden, a former halfback himself in his NRL playing days, laid it on the line to him about what he expects from  his chief playmaker.
“‘Cappy’ (McFadden) is straight to the point and he really gives it to me, which is what I need,” Johnson says.
“He understands that I am a different style of player to what he was, but he is getting the best out of me every week. He said he doesn’t expect me to score the flashy 100 metre tries or take intercepts. But he does expect me to be in every play in every game, and to play tough.
“You get a good indicator of how every NRL side is going by how the halfback is performing.
“I am getting there, and the team is really starting to find its feet.”
McFadden hails Johnson’s toughness and says the Kiwi Test half has taken his advice on board.
“Shaun didn’t have any training sessions until our last captain’s run, and for young players that can sometimes really put them off,” he says. “So to go out and perform like that against the Titans under duress was really special.
“Sometimes you have to play hurt, and it is good to see him doing that.
“Shaun gets judged on whether he scores tries and makes breaks. But we really focused on the simple things that make him a good player, which is getting his hands on the ball and finding ways to get into the game through basic things like support play . . . and just running when the team needs him to.
“On the back of that comes all the things that people love to see, but we just want a consistent effort from him each week.”
Johnson has made no secret of the fact he wants to be one of the great halfbacks and McFadden is backing him every step of the way.
“Shaun wants to be the best. He is determined to do that, and I want to help him get there,” McFadden says.
“He is a real student. He likes talking about halfback play and how to develop that. He is very skilful and talented, but he still needs that direction.”
Johnson insists playing through injury is a necessity for him if the Warriors are to reach their potential.
“I want to be out there every week with the boys, and be part of something that I think can be pretty special,” Johnson says. “No NRL player takes the field 100 per cent. It is just the nature of what is a really tough comp.
I didn’t have any needles. That probably would have made it worse.”
- JOEL GOULD & TONY ADAMS

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
grumpy old man.

And totally off topic which got me banned responding to your Dufty post in the recruitment thread 😂

With Shaun Johnson, Ben Murdoch-Masila will have plenty of holes to run into. At the moment he’s not being used correctly. I blame the you know who…
I assume the you know who you is the you know who who slapped Trent Barrett. So if Shaun Johnson doesn't create holes for Ben Murdoch-Masila, that's on Shaun Johnson...

If Shaun Johnson "accidentally on purpose" gives up an intercept try or two Sunday, I'll forgive him not creating at least, oh, 4 holes a game for Ben Murdoch-Masila next season.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I assume the you know who you is the you know who who slapped Trent Barrett. So if Shaun Johnson doesn't create holes for Ben Murdoch-Masila, that's on Shaun Johnson...

If Shaun Johnson "accidentally on purpose" gives up an intercept try or two Sunday, I'll forgive him not creating at least, oh, 4 holes a game for Ben Murdoch-Masila next season.

If Shaun Johnson falls off a charging Ben Murdoch-Masila running straight at him this weekend, does that count as a hole?

Shaun Johnson will create holes for everyone, otherwise its the skip ball to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Walshy out wide for the overlap.. thats the dream anyway...

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
With Shaun Johnson, Ben Murdoch-Masila will have plenty of holes to run into. At the moment he’s not being used correctly. I blame the you know who…
Precisely, or possibly broken field play from our hopefully our brilliant young 9 Taniela who provides dummy half runs, links with Shaun Johnson and hopefully like Papenhuzen with Brandon/Harry and Munster, is always within distance to tell what calogne they got on, Walsh will be sweating on these line break masters.

One thing we know about Shaun Johnson, he is master at creating holes and putting players through them. And he has a plethora of options next year, whether its BBM, or a simple draw and pass to put Aitken in to the hole from the over commited draw, or guys like Walsh and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak cuttn back on the angle at extreme speed through a half break 5m from the try like is a 99.9% certain try.

His kicking game is going to be greatly recieved. Hope he gets some 40/20s etc and those pin point bombs 2m out from the try line.

Its just endless what Shaun Johnson will be providing that we have nobody that provides it. Chanel Harris-Tavita needs to learn to be moe assertive in game management and Shaun Johnson can teach this in spades now he has become more mature..

Good times next year imo, im not going to say premiership, but my minimum expectation is top 4 or its a total balls up in coaching, or lack of or too much (ie SK)

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Precisely, or possibly broken field play from our hopefully our brilliant young 9 Taniela who provides dummy half runs, links with Shaun Johnson and hopefully like Papenhuzen with Brandon/Harry and Munster, is always within distance to tell what calogne they got on, Walsh will be sweating on these line break masters.

One thing we know about Shaun Johnson, he is master at creating holes and putting players through them. And he has a plethora of options next year, whether its BBM, or a simple draw and pass to put Aitken in to the hole from the over commited draw, or guys like Walsh and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak cuttn back on the angle at extreme speed through a half break 5m from the try like is a 99.9% certain try.

His kicking game is going to be greatly recieved. Hope he gets some 40/20s etc and those pin point bombs 2m out from the try line.

Its just endless what Shaun Johnson will be providing that we have nobody that provides it. Chanel Harris-Tavita needs to learn to be moe assertive in game management and Shaun Johnson can teach this in spades now he has become more mature..

Good times next year imo, im not going to say premiership, but my minimum expectation is top 4 or its a total balls up in coaching, or lack of or too much (ie SK)

I’m starting to like the way you think.

With 2 alpha props, Harris, Katoa, Jazz and Ben Murdoch-Masila, Egan (or Kodi!!)with his distribution skills, there is absolutely no reason why we can’t get forward momentum to give the backs what they need next year.

I would say next year will be one of the most dominant packs Shaun Johnson will have the pleasure to play under.

It’s exciting just thinking about it.

It’s a pity Harris is out today, otherwise we could get a look it at how good these blokes play along side each other.

Pity we can’t erase this season and fast forward to 2022. Next year. Our year.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

Now the big question- why the fuck did we get rid of him in the first place?????

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
He is one of the few players in the team who will halve his worth/existing salary just so the Warriors can sign other major talent so that as a team man hes forfeiting a lot of money just to give his/our team the best team it has ever fielded and a real chance imo.

That is commitment, regardless of his situation, he could easily get more than what we paying, he wants that fn ring so bad like us fans. Thats the sort of X factor player you want leading the offensive drive.

if you could only throw a top #9 in the spine and it is possbly the bet spine in the NRL. even if its early days for Walsh. I think Taniela will do a good job replacing Egan, just what im sensing. A bit of coaching (from the other players lol) and he could be an X factor 9 next year onward.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
He is one of the few players in the team who will halve his worth/existing salary just so the Warriors can sign other major talent so that as a team man hes forfeiting a lot of money just to give his/our team the best team it has ever fielded and a real chance imo.

That is commitment, regardless of his situation, he could easily get more than what we paying, he wants that fn ring so bad like us fans. Thats the sort of X factor player you want leading the offensive drive.

if you could only throw a top #9 in the spine and it is possbly the bet spine in the NRL. even if its early days for Walsh. I think Taniela will do a good job replacing Egan, just what im sensing. A bit of coaching (from the other players lol) and he could be an X factor 9 next year onward.

We’ll have Shaun Johnson, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Walshy, Lodge, Addin Fonua-Blake and Tohu Harris. We need to realise that is already 6 marquee players. Most teams have 2-3. We have 6…… there can be no more excuses next year.

Burncity warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 11, 2021
We’ll have Shaun Johnson, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Walshy, Lodge, Addin Fonua-Blake and Tohu Harris. We need to realise that is already 6 marquee players. Most teams have 2-3. We have 6…… there can be no more excuses next year.
So true..I did say earlier if we had any weaknesses I think it is hooker and centre and if we could fill those positions we'd be a gun team "on paper" lol, but even if we used who we have now and with those players you named we shouldn't be happy with anything less than a second week finals appearance next year. Done with the excuses. Sick of being a mediocre club, us fans need to start demanding more and not putting up with their shit

Reactions: BeastMode

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
A million reasons.

He wanted a million bucks we wanted to pay seven fifty, agree to that and he stayed.
I think he may well have. But I still think his nose was rubbed into that 25% paycut far too enthusiastically by You Know Who Who Isn't The You Know Who AusWarriorsFan Blames For Walsh Not Being 6 :).

Reactions: Defence

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
So true..I did say earlier if we had any weaknesses I think it is hooker and centre and if we could fill those positions we'd be a gun team "on paper" lol, but even if we used who we have now and with those players you named we shouldn't be happy with anything less than a second week finals appearance next year. Done with the excuses. Sick of being a mediocre club, us fans need to start demanding more and not putting up with their shit

I really hate the injury excuse the most. It’s always seems to be the free ticket / get out of jail card.

Every team has injuries. Look at the Storm. Munster was out for a good month. Papenhouzen has been out for most of this season. Bromwich has missed games. They’ve had multiple players out due to Origin. Yet the team shows up to win every single week…

I remember we had Chanel Harris-Tavita out early in the season, and everyone saying we’ll be better when he’s back. Ironically he comes back and we play WORSE… now we can’t wait to get rid of the poor kid….

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings