Player Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson 2011 Tigers.PNG

Great story, aint no secret I think so..

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/he-can-become-a-great/

WE all know he has an abundance of flair. But Warriors half Shaun Johnson is now proving he has the toughness and level head to go with it as he strives to be the leading halfback in the NRL.

And he has received the backing of the best Kiwi No.7 of them all, with Stacey Jones insisting the 23-year-old is now the complete package. Jones says toughness was the final piece of the Johnson puzzle and he now has all the tools to enter the realm of greats.
Johnson played with a groin strain in the Warriors’ 24-16 win against the Titans last Saturday and then battled through an ankle injury to steer his side to victory.
“He is definitely showing a new toughness and that completes the package,” Jones says.
“He has the ability to read the play, the speed, the flair. . . he could become one of the great halves.
“Let’s not forget he is still only 23 and his best footy is still ahead of him.
“I spoke to him last week and he was filthy on himself for not winning us the game against the Bulldogs in round 10. That shows the hard edge he has developed to his game.”
Johnson reveals how new coach Andrew McFadden, a former halfback himself in his NRL playing days, laid it on the line to him about what he expects from  his chief playmaker.
“‘Cappy’ (McFadden) is straight to the point and he really gives it to me, which is what I need,” Johnson says.
“He understands that I am a different style of player to what he was, but he is getting the best out of me every week. He said he doesn’t expect me to score the flashy 100 metre tries or take intercepts. But he does expect me to be in every play in every game, and to play tough.
“You get a good indicator of how every NRL side is going by how the halfback is performing.
“I am getting there, and the team is really starting to find its feet.”
McFadden hails Johnson’s toughness and says the Kiwi Test half has taken his advice on board.
“Shaun didn’t have any training sessions until our last captain’s run, and for young players that can sometimes really put them off,” he says. “So to go out and perform like that against the Titans under duress was really special.
“Sometimes you have to play hurt, and it is good to see him doing that.
“Shaun gets judged on whether he scores tries and makes breaks. But we really focused on the simple things that make him a good player, which is getting his hands on the ball and finding ways to get into the game through basic things like support play . . . and just running when the team needs him to.
“On the back of that comes all the things that people love to see, but we just want a consistent effort from him each week.”
Johnson has made no secret of the fact he wants to be one of the great halfbacks and McFadden is backing him every step of the way.
“Shaun wants to be the best. He is determined to do that, and I want to help him get there,” McFadden says.
“He is a real student. He likes talking about halfback play and how to develop that. He is very skilful and talented, but he still needs that direction.”
Johnson insists playing through injury is a necessity for him if the Warriors are to reach their potential.
“I want to be out there every week with the boys, and be part of something that I think can be pretty special,” Johnson says. “No NRL player takes the field 100 per cent. It is just the nature of what is a really tough comp.
I didn’t have any needles. That probably would have made it worse.”
- JOEL GOULD & TONY ADAMS

Panther

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016
Being a lazy cu** working from home so decided ill watch some classic matches on Foxtel. As much we use to hate on SJ that bloke use to either set up or assist on soooooo many of our trys.

Fuck I feel guilty now because I never thought he was anymore inconsistent or softer than any other halfs in the comp but I deff used him as a scapegoat for wider failures when the going got tough.

We should never have challenged him like we did, look at the half's market now, he was deff worth his value. Were such shit cu**s.

How did we not win anything with SJ, RTS, Luke, Tohu vintage Fus, Ken etc

PS: I became a warriors supporter like so many other because of him.
It’s abit like the reference to the Manu and Cleary era as simply “kick it to Manu” attack, gosh I dream of the excitement gained from long range tries back then. Imagine this Sunday if Maumalo steps inside his man 50 out and feeds Nikorima to score in the corner after raising the ball above his head🤞

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I also think SJ completely over inflated Fus's value and Hiku the same for Ken.

Pay penny's to wingers and get better half's and centres who will make anyone look good.

you’re talking good sense for once brother!

well done!!

absolutely wingers are only as good as the guys inside setting them up for success.

Reactions: Swanley and Aman

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
Just listened to some of the interview and I’m confused about his relationship with Kearney. In the interview he says that Kearney made contact with him and was looking out for him but in the media after he left he said something along the lines of “I’ve had 6 coaches and I guess the 6th one didn’t like me”.

Reactions: bruce and Kestrel84

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Just listened to some of the interview and I’m confused about his relationship with Kearney. In the interview he says that Kearney made contact with him and was looking out for him but in the media after he left he said something along the lines of “I’ve had 6 coaches and I guess the 6th one didn’t like me”.

Reactions: Swanny

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I'd say SK didnt like him

Do you guys remember that time in 2017 when SK binned both Foran and SJ for one game.......

It was towards the end of the season....... we were playing absolutely terrible the week before - cant remember who flogged us, but I definitely remember both Foran and SJ getting dropped by SK.. that was a defining moment for me...

Reactions: bruce

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Being a lazy cu** working from home so decided ill watch some classic matches on Foxtel. As much we use to hate on SJ that bloke use to either set up or assist on soooooo many of our trys.

Fuck I feel guilty now because I never thought he was anymore inconsistent or softer than any other halfs in the comp but I deff used him as a scapegoat for wider failures when the going got tough.

We should never have challenged him like we did, look at the half's market now, he was deff worth his value. Were such shit cu**s.

How did we not win anything with SJ, RTS, Luke, Tohu vintage Fus, Ken etc

PS: I became a warriors supporter like so many other because of him.

When you can't think of anyone other than Fus and Ken after RTS, SJ, Luke, Tohu, that's probably the reason why they didn't win anything.

Team sport needs more than 4-5 players even if they are in key positions.

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
When you can't think of anyone other than Fus and Ken after RTS, SJ, Luke, Tohu, that's probably the reason why they didn't win anything.

Team sport needs more than 4-5 players even if they are in key positions.

I mean they were the dally m wingers of the year or some shit weren't they? Wasn't jazz bench player of the year as well ? We also had Blair and Foran as well at some point. We should have done fucking something.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
I mean they were the dally m wingers of the year or some shit weren't they? Wasn't jazz bench player of the year as well ? We also had Blair and Foran as well at some point. We should have done fucking something.

Who cares about dally m. They've been a joke of an award for years.

They were dally m wingers of the year because they fell over the line from less than 20m out getting fed the ball by Hiku and made a lot of run metres coming out their own end.

Go look at their run metre stats this year compared to their Dally M years. There's a miniscule amount of difference.

They weren't doing things in those years that they're no longer doing now. They've always been what they are, people are just less tolerant now because there's a better team around them when at full strength and no longer blinded by pointless run metres.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Every great players footy life dies.

SJ burned so very brightly....I hope he realises it is one minute to sunset.

At this point in your career you need friends....just ask Benji Marshall what that is about.

One of the truism of employment cliché is to never burn your bridges....what might have been....SJ should have enjoyed a triumphant return to the Warriors in his twilight....as much as one Ali Lauitiiti enjoyed....except Shaun still has some first grade miles left on his odometer.

He could have rightly claimed a job for the boys courtesy of the Warriors for life had he played the game....

Last edited:
Reactions: Akkerz and gpred

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
I could see SJ heading to the dogs
SJ Burton Fox Crotic Allen it’s a team of ok names if they can gel

Flano jnr on the out but is he any better than what we already have ?

We need a half with experience

j-bob

1st Grade Fringe
May 21, 2014
I don’t care where Johnson goes as long as it is not the warriors.
There is no room for petulant children in a footy team.
As fans we have endured a long run of shit teams built around the wrong players and I was glad this one left when he did.

we are building something genuinely special here. We just need to wait a little longer and we will have our time to shine.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Apparently the rabbits are in the mix for SJ. The article i saw said he’s after $900000 for 2 years. The raiders pulled the plug and it also said the asking price was why we declined. Seems strange to let Reynolds go, thought they had juniors coming through to replace him.
Reynolds wanted three years and they wouldn’t budge- Sj would probably be open to a shorter term deal.

Reactions: Noitall
Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings