Player Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson

Shaun Johnson 2011 Tigers.PNG

Great story, aint no secret I think so..

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/he-can-become-a-great/

WE all know he has an abundance of flair. But Warriors half Shaun Johnson is now proving he has the toughness and level head to go with it as he strives to be the leading halfback in the NRL.

And he has received the backing of the best Kiwi No.7 of them all, with Stacey Jones insisting the 23-year-old is now the complete package. Jones says toughness was the final piece of the Johnson puzzle and he now has all the tools to enter the realm of greats.
Johnson played with a groin strain in the Warriors’ 24-16 win against the Titans last Saturday and then battled through an ankle injury to steer his side to victory.
“He is definitely showing a new toughness and that completes the package,” Jones says.
“He has the ability to read the play, the speed, the flair. . . he could become one of the great halves.
“Let’s not forget he is still only 23 and his best footy is still ahead of him.
“I spoke to him last week and he was filthy on himself for not winning us the game against the Bulldogs in round 10. That shows the hard edge he has developed to his game.”
Johnson reveals how new coach Andrew McFadden, a former halfback himself in his NRL playing days, laid it on the line to him about what he expects from  his chief playmaker.
“‘Cappy’ (McFadden) is straight to the point and he really gives it to me, which is what I need,” Johnson says.
“He understands that I am a different style of player to what he was, but he is getting the best out of me every week. He said he doesn’t expect me to score the flashy 100 metre tries or take intercepts. But he does expect me to be in every play in every game, and to play tough.
“You get a good indicator of how every NRL side is going by how the halfback is performing.
“I am getting there, and the team is really starting to find its feet.”
McFadden hails Johnson’s toughness and says the Kiwi Test half has taken his advice on board.
“Shaun didn’t have any training sessions until our last captain’s run, and for young players that can sometimes really put them off,” he says. “So to go out and perform like that against the Titans under duress was really special.
“Sometimes you have to play hurt, and it is good to see him doing that.
“Shaun gets judged on whether he scores tries and makes breaks. But we really focused on the simple things that make him a good player, which is getting his hands on the ball and finding ways to get into the game through basic things like support play . . . and just running when the team needs him to.
“On the back of that comes all the things that people love to see, but we just want a consistent effort from him each week.”
Johnson has made no secret of the fact he wants to be one of the great halfbacks and McFadden is backing him every step of the way.
“Shaun wants to be the best. He is determined to do that, and I want to help him get there,” McFadden says.
“He is a real student. He likes talking about halfback play and how to develop that. He is very skilful and talented, but he still needs that direction.”
Johnson insists playing through injury is a necessity for him if the Warriors are to reach their potential.
“I want to be out there every week with the boys, and be part of something that I think can be pretty special,” Johnson says. “No NRL player takes the field 100 per cent. It is just the nature of what is a really tough comp.
I didn’t have any needles. That probably would have made it worse.”
- JOEL GOULD & TONY ADAMS

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
If they could put their differences aside, i have the feeling SJ would be awesome as i see that it would be that emotional reunion that he deserves and would have come back a more experience top class halfback which was stalled at the warriors. If anyone thinks that he wasnt one of the most influential players of that sharks run to the finals last year theyre blind. Hes learnt a lot since playing for the sharks and as a fan id love for him to come back. Personally i hated his last few years with us. Thought he waay too inconsistent to lead us to finals. I saw a different SJ last year.

Last edited:

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
A draw??
I wouldn’t call it a knock out victory but 2 finals appearances and a player of the year award has him well ahead on points that’s for sure.
Hard to say - but he’s only had one finals appearance, he was injured the second year and they did no worse without him.

The finals game he did play was frighteningly similar to his Warriors vs Penrith no show for us before they were bungled out - where’s the difference?

He won player of the year there you say, could have - and has done here before, in fact he won a golden boot here!

Nah, no points decision yet bro, we’re only in the 6th round of a 10rd bout and his corner man’s attending to a bad cut...

Last edited:

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
When we talk about the senior players from around 2013/14/15 that have since been moved on and we’re part of a bad culture, are we talking about guys like leuleuai, mannering, friend, matulino, hurrell, manu, rapira, lilleyman, mateo etc?

Don’t answer if against the rules

kinda keen to understand the culture behind the scenes as we don’t get a lot of insight into the club we all have so much vested in

Afakasi247

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 5, 2014
When we talk about the senior players from around 2013/14/15 that have since been moved on and we’re part of a bad culture, are we talking about guys like leuleuai, mannering, friend, matulino, hurrell, manu, rapira, lilleyman, mateo etc?

kinda keen to understand the culture behind the scenes as we don’t get a lot of insight into the club we all have so much vested in
I’m thinking more the Vatuvei’s of the world...

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016

We know these six guys were exposed as unprofessional at best, allegedly narked on by a fellow player who should remain nameless because that was total rumour and innuendo from memory. Points to a divisive culture at the club in those years though, with SJ on the outside.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
If they could put their differences aside, i have the feeling SJ would be awesome as i see that it would be that emotional reunion that he deserves and would have come back a more experience top class halfback which was stalled at the warriors. If anyone thinks that he wasnt one of the most influential players of that sharks run to the finals last year theyre blind. Hes learnt a lot since playing for the sharks and as a fan id love for him to come back. Personally i hated his last few years with us. Thought he waay too inconsistent to lead us to finals. I saw a different SJ last year.
Although the Sharks made the finals the knock on them was that they couldn’t beat a top 8 side. That reignited the talk of SJ being unable to command a side against a quality defence

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Hard to say - but he’s only had one finals appearance, he was injured the second year and they did no worse without him.

The finals game he did play was frighteningly similar to his Warriors vs Penrith no show for us before they were bungled out - where’s the difference?

He won player of the year there you say, could have - and has done here before, in fact he won a golden boot here!

Nah, no points decision yet bro, we’re only in the 6th round of a 10rd bout and his corner man’s attending to a bad cut...

My argument isn’t that he’s been so much better at the sharks- he’s been about the same imho- it’s just his results that have been better.
We on the other hand haven’t been traveling so flash.
So I’m not saying he’s better without us- just better off without us.
Have we been better off without him? Be honest now...

ps u weren’t the one who scored the first Lewis Holyfield fight by any chance?😁

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Vancent

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
My argument isn’t that he’s been so much better at the sharks- he’s been about the same imho- it’s just his results that have been better.
I remember that play now, “it ain’t the guy your Honour - it’s his behaviours” lol.

All good bro, 9 times out of 10 you and I agree, this time I just have you splitting hairs before the final bell.

I loved Sj when he was here, but still dirty on both sides it ended like that..

Reactions: matiunz and Defence

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
serious question, with milford looking at the axe at the broncos, do u think they would take a gamble on a returning from injury (again) SJ?
i am sure he would save them a bit of coin and hes out of favour at the sharks, he might have 2 to 3 years left in him, and at the right price, ie cheap i can see a few clubs thinking about him

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
serious question, with milford looking at the axe at the broncos, do u think they would take a gamble on a returning from injury (again) SJ?
i am sure he would save them a bit of coin and hes out of favour at the sharks, he might have 2 to 3 years left in him, and at the right price, ie cheap i can see a few clubs thinking about him
Possible - wouldn’t put anything past the Bronx at this point. What makes you say Sj is out of favour at the Sharks?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
I remember being very critical of Johnson at the time but then all the intel I had was coming from within the club so it was nice to hear the otherside of the debacle.

The way I see it now in hindsight it was handled very poorly from both ends. Pays to remember the club fired the first shot. It is disrespectful to players to hear of such things from the media first.

Im sure there are regrets on both ends but both parties have moved on.

For those thinking there will be ever be an opportunity for Johnson to come back its best you not get your hopes up. Dont forget that the same management that started this are still at the club.

Not going to get into any more of it. Its done and dusted and I prefer to remember the highlights he gave us over anything else now.

Good luck Shauny...

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I remember being very critical of Johnson at the time but then all the intel I had was coming from within the club so it was nice to hear the otherside of the debacle.

The way I see it now in hindsight it was handled very poorly from both ends. Pays to remember the club fired the first shot. It is disrespectful to players to hear of such things from the media first.

For those thinking there will be ever be an opportunity for Johnson to come back its best you not get your hopes up. Dont forget that the same management that started this are still at the club.

Not going to get into any more of it. Its done and dusted and I prefer to remember the highlights he gave us over anything else now.

Good luck Shauny...
Yeah mate .That ship has sailed

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020

Good luck Shauny...
Nah mate, he’s a Sharky for now but I’m still leaving the porch light on for him...

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Possible - wouldn’t put anything past the Bronx at this point. What makes you say Sj is out of favour at the Sharks?
i have no inside knowledge, thought i read on here that his contract was not likely to be renewed at sharks. might have read into something, but could understand if they were looking for greener pastures.
my thoughts are based on:
his contract with the sharks ends this year.
he has failed to finish 2 out of 2 seasons so far and has yet to begin his third.
results at the sharks so far resembles that at the warriors and sj is 3 years older with a worse injury record
flanagan gets to be a head coach again in 2022.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
What guts me is, Warriors had an amazing spine 2018, with Luke starting to get fit. Making the 8, I was expecting to make the 4 the next year. Management decided letting all the Halves go including our number 1 X factor player (even if he had a big part to play in that mess up, immature) who we desperately need back at #6. We havnt got a 5/8th who can draw and pass, kick the ball into the in goal for a repeat in red zone etc and his kicks suck. IMO he is a great individual player Kodi, but he was simply a knee jerk reaction from management. For our amazing offensive FB next year, if we do not have an X factor 5/8th, he is not going to get the holes or ball that he needs. RTS is not slow, even when in the line, there just isnt any x factor happening to get him in the hole. Same will happen next year, but we will lose the Defensive vision of RTS.

I though the amount of "Bros" from a kiwi (of 1/2 phillipine decent?) player and back from an aussie was the most of heard in a conversation. Sometimes I feel like SJ is trying to be kiwi in Aus and I get it, I have been there, but its actually best to just fit in haha, way less flack. But good interview none the less.

$2m for Green, sack the rest and get the best, could easily move to 5/8th.

Last edited:

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Last Game

09 Apr

12 - 13
5.0 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 22 ratings