Shaun Johnson

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
No I would say more likely needed to get some match fitness after a lengthy injury layoff. Anyway awesome we got rid of SJ, he was clearly the problem at the club - well done ‘brains trust’
well he definitely wasnt the solution

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Reaction score
On that logic then neither is RTS. Who do you propose would be?
wrong logic, RTS hasn't had 8 years to solve the problem unlike SJ. As to what they need, well a fair shake of the stick from the refs would have the warriors in the 8 and ahead of the sharks so you tell me.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
wrong logic, RTS hasn't had 8 years to solve the problem unlike SJ. As to what they need, well a fair shake of the stick from the refs would have the warriors in the 8 and ahead of the sharks so you tell me.
Give RTS 8 years and the outcome will be the same so long as the current culture at the club, the coaching instability and incompetence and the deficiencies across the broader playing squad continue. The likes of SJ and RTS will strengthen any NRL team however individuals can only do so much. SJ was never our problem, he was one of our few strengths, however I don’t expect you to ever acknowledge that.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Mannering did though.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
SJ was never our problem,
No his salary was, but he didn't have that on his own. Blair's salary is almost as bad and look how little he brings to the club. At least the other coaches worked their defences for SJ. With Blair they probably plan their attacks.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
No his salary was, but he didn't have that on his own. Blair's salary is almost as bad and look how little he brings to the club. At least the other coaches worked their defences for SJ. With Blair they probably plan their attacks.
I would suggest that vs nearly every major Warriors signing over the last few years other than RTS his salary looks fine. Even Tohu Harris, assuming he doesn’t get on the field again in 2019 will have only averaged 13 games a season across 2017-19 - where’s the value in that?

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Reaction score
Give RTS 8 years and the outcome will be the same so long as the current culture at the club, the coaching instability and incompetence and the deficiencies across the broader playing squad continue. The likes of SJ and RTS will strengthen any NRL team however individuals can only do so much. SJ was never our problem, he was one of our few strengths, however I don’t expect you to ever acknowledge that.
Actually I agree that as an individual he was great, pity it isnt a game for individuals. I personally think we already have a very different culture in the club. It sure aint perfect but tries now come all across the park, and SJ could have been part of that, but he was the one who threw his toys, not me. Would the outcome this year have been different if he had stayed, who knows. given that they are out of the eight because of refereeing issues and not their gamemanship, I seriously have no idea if he would have made a positive difference or not.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Actually I agree that as an individual he was great, pity it isnt a game for individuals.
This is where I circle back to SJ’s excellent try assist stats in 2017and 2018 - typically something that requires more than just individual effort and execution.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Reaction score
This is where I circle back to SJ’s excellent try assist stats in 2017and 2018 - typically something that requires more than just individual effort and execution.
Yep I agree. And imagine what it might have been like this year if he had stayed.
But he didn't.
The team was on the up, a real change in direction. He represented stability. He threw that away to take a risk for another team trying to make the eight. It looked like a sure thing at the time, but shit happens and I have yet to see him add more value at the sharks than Nikorima here.
It may happen. He is a good player. But he needed to go to another team to accept a kick in the arse without getting the sulks.
Like I said the culture in the warriors has changed. He is also changing. The separation may be the best thing for both, or not. This year the warriors got shafted and one of the teams that benefited from that is the sharks, who would already be out of the eight With better refs.
What the warriors need is a cam Smith, or a cooper cronk, not another Cherry Evens. Which is what he reminds me of.

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Apologies if this is old news, it I haven’t heard this angle before.
This from our old forum mate Budgie
Read into it what you will, but it explains why the club made this so public, as to engineer SJ wanting out.

Reaction score
OMG

OMG

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Read into it what you will, but it explains why the club made this so public, as to engineer SJ wanting out.

You'd have to be quite naive to believe it was anything other than the office trying to get the Cap down, they are spending ridiculous money on a piss poor squad bar RTS and Harris.

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
You'd have to be quite naive to believe it was anything other than the office trying to get the Cap down, they are spending ridiculous money on a piss poor squad bar RTS and Harris.
I thought the original story was that they only offered a 1 year extension pending results and he wasnt happy with that so it all deteriorated into him wanting out and them saying ok

Reaction score

Noitall

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score

I can remember a news article a couple of years ago headlined Johnson may need to take a pay cut to win a premiership with Warriors or something to that effect. Was just before he signed that last contract and to do with not being able to recruit in a position or two they were lacking in because of no spare money in cap

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Hands up if you are a shit coach
Reaction score
Was just before he signed that last contract and to do with not being able to recruit in a position or two they were lacking in because of no spare money in cap
Wasn't SJ resigned before they threw away money by signing Blair and green?

What I heard was similar to what budge said. Gavet was let go as they would have been over the cap this year (his backended deal was another piece of madness by this club).

Salary cap management has been and continues to be grossly incompetent for the mess we are in right now.

We are just now gambling by throwing big money offers and crossing our fingers that it will get us out of this mess.

Reaction score

Noitall

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Wasn't SJ resigned before they threw away money by signing Blair and green?

What I heard was similar to what budge said. Gavet was let go as they would have been over the cap this year (his backended deal was another piece of madness by this club).

Salary cap management has been and continues to be grossly incompetent for the mess we are in right now.

We are just now gambling by throwing big money offers and crossing our fingers that it will get us out of this mess.
Think it was around the 2017 resigning. He had some bartering room as the Warriors were trying to keep Kieran Foran but missed out to dogs. They were rumoured to be chasing the pair of them.

Top Bottom