Shaun Johnson

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
FAN, I hope you're right about him just needing time but on the other hand, given all the time he's had over the years, I think this SJ is, unfortunately, the finished article.

For example, is Blair playing any better for us than he did at the Broncos, or are the same habits/errors once again showing up? Did Hoffman play much better at the Storm than he did when he was a Warrior?

Last edited:
Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Looks like he won't be playing this weekend. Likely to be sidelined with a suspected syndesmosis injury. We play them again in round 23 so the media hype in the build up on when we play our former star half may have to wait until then.

Reaction score

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Looks like he won't be playing this weekend. Likely to be sidelined with a suspected syndesmosis injury. We play them again in round 23 so the media hype in the build up on when we play our former star half may have to wait until then.

Just like the 7-11 ad....How Convenient...:rolleyes:

Reaction score
FuNQie

FuNQie

Mr Spock
Contributor
Reaction score
My take on SJ. I don’t think “we fucked him up as we do with everyone”. But on the other hand... There are few clubs, if any, which have the capabilities to deal with the mercurial almost once in a lifetime talent that was SJ when he was at his best. He had all that. And he knew it - big problem. The ego was there, big time. So he needed not just a first class but a platinum class sports psychologist working with him. We weren’t set up for that. (Maybe we should have made sure we were way back in 2009 or whenever it was that he burst into the scene and Joey Johns said what he said, better still before even then.)

It’s true also that other talent has gone by the wayside with us. The boys coming thru have had talent in spades and then some, it’s why we were able to dominate the U20s. But how many clubs have the backroom staff able to work with the young talent on their roster and really get the best out of them? The Storm (I assume) do, but who else? It’s a shortcoming the club has - that’s fairly obvious.

SJ himself - was he always a flawed talent, always having bad days or weeks? Could that be counselled out of him? Making him the complete player? There’s no question he had the desire to learn and put things into practice, as he couldn’t tackle to start with and learned that pretty well. Anyway, could he have been made into the complete player, and that means, in his case, without any psychological flaws? We’ll never know, and sadly it may well be too late for there to be any change now.

Reaction score
FuNQie

FuNQie

Mr Spock
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I’m sure SJ was very worried about playing such an incredible side as ours. Must have made up the injury.
Well it could have been very embarrassing if the Sharks had lost. Our first win at home for yonks and it’s against Shaun’s Sharkies. The media and Sharks supporters would have gone bananas.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well it could have been very embarrassing if the Sharks had lost. Our first win at home for yonks and it’s against Shaun’s Sharkies. The media and Sharks supporters would have gone bananas.
Sure however insinuations from muppets on here that he might intentionally avoid playing the Warriors by faking an injury is laughable.

Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
FAN, I hope you're right about him just needing time but on the other hand, given all the time he's had over the years, I think this SJ is, unfortunately, the finished article.

For example, is Blair playing any better for us than he did at the Broncos, or are the same habits/errors once again showing up? Did Hoffman play much better at the Storm than he did when he was a Warrior?
Yeah mate I hear what your saying.
I do feel he will never fully return to the game breaking lightning fast side stepping majic Johnson. Those days IMO are long gone.
However, I still think the guy has something left in the tank, unlike Blair and Co.
SJ just needs to adjust with the times/body/age/injury that has happened to him, and adapt his new game around what he can still do now.

Top Bottom