Shaun Johnson

Reaction score
Vancent

Vancent

True Bluelever
Contributor
Reaction score
I read a stat on Fox Sports that said that Johnson was involved in 44% of our tries last season. Considering he missed 6 games last year that is one hell of a hole to fill
He was a halfback - I would have expected more.

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Seen a Regular NRL first grade half on 200k before?
Yeah I thought that one over and was going to put $300 but remember Lino would have had no NRL experience at that stage, despite being part of winning sides including the y20s.

This is another F up the warriors made, letting John Ackland go.

RE SJ, there are those who say he was a Warriors great, perhaps, but not a half back great, this is where its hard for some to understand why people expected sooooo much more from Johnson. People I dont think, well I didnt, expect him to be Magic Johnson every game, but I did expect someone one ridiculous money to be able to work a pack around, have a better attacking strategy and have a much much better kicking game ie grubber, bomb and touch finding accuracy. Its being a number 7 he just seldom turned up as. Remember the Jones vs Johnson poll, it was 85% Jones still. Why? He was a great 7. Johnson is a first 5 and should never have had the influence or the warriors should never have had the crazyness to put him in at 7. He plays an amazing 6. I think initially size had a lot to do with it, he was pretty skinny, if you look at him now hes still got chicken calves and ankles. You need some meat on you to play 6 as you get tackled with the ball a lot more, ie Foran.

Thats why I kept harping on Lino is more like your classic 7, slower but manages a pack well and has the most accurate kicking game. He for me looks more like Jones on the field than Johnson does (not comparing there ability). Jones and Johnson are apples and oranges as is Jones and Foran.

Last edited:
Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So many people unrealistically think that if SJ didn't sidestep his way through the opposition defensive line a couple of times and score tries then that constituted a bad game. Who in the comp has consistently been able to do that over a long stretch of games - answer is nobody. Hayne had periods of being able to do it, Valentine Holmes late last year, Barba for a bit, and of course SJ.

What he did consistently do was deliver try assists to the team, more frequently than nearly any player in the comp, and we will miss that big time in 2019. Anyone with half a brain can see that.
Agree with all that but a great half puts the TEAM consistantly in a great position and I think that’s what many got frustrated about. His job was to take a holistic view in directing the teams strategy, kicking ourselves into attacking position, working out and playing the percentages, playing to the teams strengths, building pressure, following the game plan, etc and was much more than coming up with amazing individual plays.

Ultimately, despite having a team full of attacking weapons, our overall team attack was never above average and our for and against was always in the negatives, which while reflecting the whole squad, does reflect on the playmakers control of the game.

He was a 7 and should be compared to the Cronks and Thurstons not the Haynes, Holmes and Barba’s.

Ironically I felt last season was his best yet and he was really maturing with his best years ahead of him. He will be missed.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
I read a stat on Fox Sports that said that Johnson was involved in 44% of our tries last season. Considering he missed 6 games last year that is one hell of a hole to fill
how do they define involved in? we scored 80 trys with SJ Assisting 18 and scoring 4 (which is still impressive) but that's not 44%

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Totally agree, I don’t think putting any legend half in our team would have made a difference. IMOthe closest we came to getting the balance right was 2002 and Stacey.
Some need to think of a half as a missing piece rather than the whole puzzle, Thurston did manage eventually to lift the cows from being absolute trash but that took quite a few seasons
i disagree on a technicality. both thurstan and cronk are leaders in their teams. we have no idea what they would have done to improve the culture in the team and club.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Agree with all that but a great half puts the TEAM consistantly in a great position and I think that’s what many got frustrated about. His job was to take a holistic view in directing the teams strategy, kicking ourselves into attacking position, working out and playing the percentages, playing to the teams strengths, building pressure, following the game plan, etc and was much more than coming up with amazing individual plays.

Ultimately, despite having a team full of attacking weapons, our overall team attack was never above average and our for and against was always in the negatives, which while reflecting the whole squad, does reflect on the playmakers control of the game.

He was a 7 and should be compared to the Cronks and Thurstons not the Haynes, Holmes and Barba’s.

Ironically I felt last season was his best yet and he was really maturing with his best years ahead of him. He will be missed.
Yeah I recon SJ left us when he was peaking mentally as a footballer. His defence is outstanding, his kicking game matured, he really slotted nicely into set moves.
He was very settled.

I was really impressed by his Sharks début, he showed the kicking game we rarely ever saw.

Leaving the Warriors was the best thing for him.

Reaction score
Fearmuss

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don't think anyone really wanted SJ to do highlight real shit 24/7, they just wanted consistent effort and actually acting like a marquee player when it counts. RTS showed us what the benchmark needed to be, SJ was probably at 75% of RTSs effort (being generous here) and that simply was not acceptable for his role and pay cheque.

Long term that is cancerous for a team.

Reaction score

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
how do they define involved in? we scored 80 trys with SJ Assisting 18 and scoring 4 (which is still impressive) but that's not 44%
You only get an assist if you were the last person to touch the ball before the tryscorer. So i’m presuming they are counting all the times that SJ has touched the ball in the try scoring play.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club President
Contributor
Reaction score
You only get an assist if you were the last person to touch the ball before the tryscorer. So i’m presuming they are counting all the times that SJ has touched the ball in the try scoring play.
so would Isaac Luke playing dummy half have about 70% try involvement then?

Reaction score

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
so would Isaac Luke playing dummy half have about 70% try involvement then?
By that definition very possibly, although given all the tries we scored down our right hand side I think there would be a large number that he did a lot more than just handle the ball.

My two concerns about Johnson leaving are where the points are going to come from on attack, and secondly a lot of the opponents attacking plan was to run at SJ to tire him out. With him gone I would expect Green and Hiku to get a good working over on the left and that concerns me.

Reaction score

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie. It still really twinges my heart seeing him in Sharks colours. Similar to seeing a ex you still have feelings for around town happy with someone else.

There was one gross exchange between Gallen and SJ that made me want to vomit (Gallen using the love heart emoji saying he loves having SJ at the club)

I have a feeling they're gonna win it all this year too...

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
So many people unrealistically think that if SJ didn't sidestep his way through the opposition defensive line a couple of times and score tries then that constituted a bad game. Who in the comp has consistently been able to do that over a long stretch of games - answer is nobody. Hayne had periods of being able to do it, Valentine Holmes late last year, Barba for a bit, and of course SJ.

What he did consistently do was deliver try assists to the team, more frequently than nearly any player in the comp, and we will miss that big time in 2019. Anyone with half a brain can see that.
i object to this, some of us were critical of things other than just his lack of pulling out miracle plays. For a start his kicking, note not goal kicking, and his last play options. i never wanted a 7 to play miracle ball, i mean how the hell does a team know what to do when the player doesnt know himself. You can say that he needs support runners, but half the time he runs backwards and sideways, where the hell does a support runner go.

I always wanted a player that could create structure that the team could work with. Well very soon we will have a situation where we will see what works best. But his leaving has created a hole that is being patched with players that werent ready or expected to be there. This season has a high risk of going tits up, or explosively successful

Last edited:
Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
i object to this, some of us were critical of things other than just his lack of pulling out miracle plays. For a start his kicking, note not goal kicking, and his last play options. i never wanted a 7 to play miracle ball, i mean how the hell does a team know what to do when the player doesnt know himself. You can say that he needs support runners, but half the time he runs backwards and sideways, where the hell does a support runner go.

I always wanted a player that could create structure that the team could work with. Well very soon we will have a situation where we will see what works best. But his leaving has created a hole that is being patched with players that werent ready or expected to be there. This season has a high risk of going tits up, or explosively successful
Haven't you always been quite critical of SJ's midfield bombs on the last play? I reckon you'll see exactly the same tactics from the Warriors this season.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Interestingly the main criticism is that he’s inconsistent. Which debatably is true from game to game. However he’s never really had a bad season. As far season to season goes he’s actually been very consistent. He never had a break out year where he dominated in a Barber type way but never had a shocking season either.

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Interestingly the main criticism is that he’s inconsistent. Which debatably is true from game to game. However he’s never really had a bad season. As far season to season goes he’s actually been very consistent. He never had a break out year where he dominated in a Barber type way but never had a shocking season either.
Would that mean he was consistently inconsistent....?

Top Bottom