Shaun Johnson

Reaction score
Geoffpublic

Geoffpublic

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Is that confirmed? Seems crazy to sign for less after leaving because you felt the club didnt value you enough.
SJ is on record saying if he was motivated by money he would still be at the Warriors. .
Also the salary cap has increased since he signed his last Warriors contact, so the the Sharks are paying him less from more.
If we are paying more for the same player than other teams how are we ever going to compete? The salary cap prohibits us outspending our opponents.

Reaction score

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It’s clear management had a bigger ego than SJ.

SJ just wanted love and management wasn’t willing to give it.
For me the major problem in all of this is the ridiculous rule allowing contracts to be negotiated whilst one year is still remaining on the current deal.

The Warriors management were only 50% of the way through their current multi million dollar investment in the player when they were being told to put a new deal on the table. As with all players there is then an extended time frame in which they can shop around in the knowledge of this offer and the Warriors can then miss out on other targets. The Warriors were also in danger of committing to a player whose games played per season has diminished to around 17 and could have further wear and tear by the time the new offer commences.

If SJ only had the ability to start negotiating at the expiration of his current deal then none of this would have been an issue and everyone would have had a clearer indication of his value (whether that had increased or decreased) when negotiating.

I don’t believe the management handled it perfectly but given the current rules what other options did they have?

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Isn't saying u couldn't have handled it better giving yourself a wrap?
If he said he could've handled it better that would be admitting "guilt".
His exact quote: "But I'm not too big to stand here and say I couldn't have handled it better". Cameron is, quite rightly, admitting that if he had that situation over again, he'd have handled it better than he did. That's not to say that we'd still have Shaun, given the Valentine Holmes situation (which is obviously beyond CG's control), but the Warriors management would have done things differently.

Swanny: I'm not sure if there's a better alternative than what the NRL have: As of November 1 of the last year of a player's current deal, that player can start negotiating with his current club and other clubs who show any interest. Admittedly it leads to the James Maloney Situation, where he'd signed for the Roosters for 2013 before the start of 2012 and it led, rightly or wrongly, to fans claiming his performances were poor because of an an attitude of "I don't give a shit, I've signed for another club for 2013 so so what?", but I'm not sure if there's a better alternative. In the EPL, for example, with the Winter Transfer Window, there's a month where you're not sure: Is your team's best player suddenly going to up-sticks for Barcelona? or another player from your team is going to up-sticks for Juventus at the end of the season (ie June) so is he really going to put in in the interim knowing he's fine anyway? etc etc

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Is that confirmed? Seems crazy to sign for less after leaving because you felt the club didnt value you enough.
Somebody around here will have more specific details but I hear it isn't even close to what he was getting here. They got him cheap. They aren't called the Sharks for nothing.

Like I have said before his agent is a dickhead. It sort of excuses any mistake Cameron George made in his dealings with him. With the Sharks getting him cheap what is going to make the Rorters or any other club pay over the odds for a very talented but aging, injury prone, petulant, prima donna Kiwi with a dickhead manager?

Honest question and over to you Mr. Brownstone.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Somebody around here will have more specific details but I hear it isn't even close to what he was getting here. They got him cheap. They aren't called the Sharks for nothing.

Like I have said before his agent is a dickhead. It sort of excuses any mistake Cameron George made in his dealings with him. With the Sharks getting him cheap what is going to make the Rorters or any other club pay over the odds for a very talented but aging, injury prone, petulant, prima donna Kiwi with a dickhead manager?

They won’t pay overs for him. They will pay around $1m per year. Same as the Warriors were and the Sharks reportedly are.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

The only numbers I've heard re SJ was that we were paying him around $1.1m and the Sharks got him for slightly under $1m, say $950k. I guess that might seem like a decent pay cut, however if he feels valued at the Sharks then I'm sure it all makes sense to him.

However it doesn't bother me one bit what you want to call him bruce. If calling SJ names makes you feel better about our prospects for 2019 with 2-3 rookie halves battling it out to be mentored by a 32 year old half who has never led a team around the park for more than a couple of games in a row then I'm happy for you.

Reaction score
Geoffpublic

Geoffpublic

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
I can't get behind the paywall but here is a search engine result about SJs pay

Cronulla Sharks, Shaun Johnson took pay cut after Warriors ...
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/sharks/shaun...
Shaun Johnson took a six-figure pay cut to join Cronulla for a shot at winning an ... The Sharks have been engulfed by a salary cap investigation and financial

David Long in Stuff has reported SJ being on 1.1 mill per year. I seem to remember reading somewhere hes on about 970 thou per year at Cronulla. Assuming everyones talking the same countrys dollars , thats a sizable amount.
It appears to be just another workplace resignation where someone walks out of a meeting with management. They happen every day, create great gossip at lunch time and are normally (with hindsight) the best thing for everyone.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Funny how some think that taking a reported $130,000 pay cut isn’t that much. I think most of us would like to make $130K per year let alone be able to afford take a pay cut for that much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rilakkuma

Rilakkuma

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The difference in his pay amounts are probably the foreign exchange conversion. So same pay... Different numbers.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
The difference in his pay amounts are probably the foreign exchange conversion. So same pay... Different numbers.
When SJ signed for the Sharks (early Dec. 2018) the exchange rate was 0.94 AUD to 1.00 NZD which means he was on either $1,100,000 NZD or $1,035,000 AUD at the Warriors but signed on for a reported $970,000 as reported in a NZ paper. If the $970,000 was in NZD then he took a $130,000 NZD pay cut or if the $970,000 was in AUD, taken into account the exchange rate, he took a $65,000 AUD pay cut.

Personally, I don't think that David Long would know what SJ was on here in NZ let alone what he signed on for. Only that SJ himself has said he signed on for less money.

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Say NO to Kool Aid!
Reaction score
Only that SJ himself has said he signed on for less money.
His quotes were to the effect that if he wanted more money he would have stayed at the Warriors. He then said he was there to have a shot at winning a title possibly implying the shortfall is worth it to have a decent crack at the title. If he thinks the $$$ sacrifice is worth a better shot at a title, good on him. Sharks are shorter odds at the title than the Warriors so if that's his prime motivation, good on him.

Plus he probably has far better options for 3rd party,endorsements and post career in Sydney than Auckland.

Seriously though if you were him, what would you do? I think it's time for him to challenge himself at another club and Sharks with a good pack is a nice move. Like it or not, but Sharks despite their offield distractions is not a bad fit for him. Far better than going to Parra who were also interested. People get content the longer they are in a system. He will be a better player for it.

Plus can you imagine what would have happened had he stayed "and taken the $$$"? After every average performance Bruce and his merry men would have come on here bemoaning how he just took the easy option by pocketing the cash and staying and putting in the same as he has previously done. They would claim that if he was a honourable man, he would've left in the off season. It's a no win situation. Some people will whinge irrespective of what a person does.

Just wish him the best. He doesn't care about his lost earnings yet so many on here do.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
When SJ signed for the Sharks (early Dec. 2018) the exchange rate was 0.94 AUD to 1.00 NZD which means he was on either $1,100,000 NZD or $1,035,000 AUD at the Warriors but signed on for a reported $970,000 as reported in a NZ paper. If the $970,000 was in NZD then he took a $130,000 NZD pay cut or if the $970,000 was in AUD, taken into account the exchange rate, he took a $65,000 AUD pay cut.

Personally, I don't think that David Long would know what SJ was on here in NZ let alone what he signed on for. Only that SJ himself has said he signed on for less money.
Don’t they all get paid in AU$ regardless?

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Say NO to Kool Aid!
Reaction score
Don’t they all get paid in AU$ regardless?
Warriors get given the salary cap grant on Nov 1. It is converted from AUD to NZD at the exchange rate at that point. The Warriors players get paid in NZD.

Not sure what the Warriors contracts stipulate though...NZD or AUD equivalent. Can imagine it could get quite messy if it is in NZD.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Funny how some think that taking a reported $130,000 pay cut isn’t that much. I think most of would like to make $130K per year let alone be able to afford take a pay cut for that much.
It's not making $130k that's an issue, it's the government taking $40k that cuts me up..

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Just in case I have been identified as one of the merry wingers. Let me be clear. I dont give a shit about his pay. I care that his exit has put a season I was expecting to be awesome at risk of ending very badly.

The sooner the season begins the sooner I will lose interest I discussing SJ. in the mean time I see that Mason Lino has been labelled the best kicker at the knights.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
They won’t pay overs for him. They will pay around $1m per year. Same as the Warriors were and the Sharks reportedly are.
You know the Sharks are paying him a million?o_O I am calling you out on that brother. Not even SJ is claiming that and the word is it is significantly less than than a million.

Hypothetically if he is only getting paid what the Warriors wanted to pay him in 2020 then I say he and his manager have stuffed up big time. He appears to be out of pocket for a six figure some, which some may say is clever, but I couldn't possibly comment.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
The only numbers I've heard re SJ was that we were paying him around $1.1m and the Sharks got him for slightly under $1m, say $950k.
I would check your sauces Mr. B. The oil is that it is nowhere near $950, no even close, and why would it be? Who were the Sharks bidding against? Think about it.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
David Long in Stuff
He was the guy that wrote many times the club had been sold to that Hawaiian dude Fale.o_O:rolleyes:. He obviously still has very good inside information.:D:D

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Plus can you imagine what would have happened had he stayed "and taken the $$$"?
Since he said he wasn't going to put in, I am glad he has gone.

Top Bottom