Shaun Johnson

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well, not necessarily. I could compare Thurston with Carlos Tuimavavae. But Carlos does not fare well in that comparison, does he?
So why do u think he choose thurston to make the comparison to?
He could have chose anyone.
Could it have been that unless he chose one of the best players ever his point wouldn't stand?
To me that's a compliment ( all be it a backhanded one).

Interesting u mention Carlos tho- I remember being told on here that he was the real driving force in that under 20s side and made Sj look good- he was gonna be better than Sj......
So was issac John, lolohea, Lino...
I get it- some people just never liked him- fair enough.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure why people are so keen to have retained him for the last year when he didn't want to be here - does no one remember Maloney's last season?
I dont understand why there is any debate at all, he checked out, the club got no say in the matter. SJ was not innocently pushed aside or even put in a position where he couldnt continue with the team as it was. He threw his toys when they were still negotiating the next contract. To say the warriors should have kept him, makes no sense. To imply that the warriors should have moved heaven and earth to keep him, makes no sense.

He made his views very clear, he didnt want to be in the team. He had a contract he didnt care, He left.

Any issues with halves this year falls on him. Yes Defense, I am still pissed that the warriors season may go badly because of one over privilaged drama queen. I hope for the best but there are risks this season that all come back to the way he acted.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I dont understand why there is any debate at all, he checked out, the club got no say in the matter. SJ was not innocently pushed aside or even put in a position where he couldnt continue with the team as it was. He threw his toys when they were still negotiating the next contract. To say the warriors should have kept him, makes no sense. To imply that the warriors should have moved heaven and earth to keep him, makes no sense.

He made his views very clear, he didnt want to be in the team. He had a contract he didnt care, He left.

Any issues with halves this year falls on him. Yes Defense, I am still pissed that the warriors season may go badly because of one over privilaged drama queen. I hope for the best but there are risks this season that all come back to the way he acted.
From the outside it seems like he threw his toys because of the way the club treated him. If the club had of been a bit more shrewd in their dealings with him they would still have him for this season and Johnson would be going balls out to get a big contract from the Roosters.
The club have admited they handled it badly and that now they have a reduction in the quality of squad available for 2019.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score
Vancent

Vancent

😔
Contributor
Reaction score

I agree with this completely.

And if it goes south this year - “he’s would’ve got want he’s wunted....” !

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Enough being the crybaby move on
sorry, have I offended you, am i not in the SJ discussion thread?

So if you dont want to read what i think about SJ, then why not fuck off then and stay off this thread or block me, honestly i dont care either way. but try not to be such a douche

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12200262

“But I'm not too big to stand here and say I couldn't have handled it better."

There you go Bruce. I’d be dispointed if you didn’t try to explain how this doesn’t prove guilt when the only one to use that word was you.
Thank you, I haven't caught up with George's quotes THIS month:rolleyes:.

George's fault was to take it public instead of doing a Doyle and shutting his gob. I doubt that was going to make any difference anyway. The problems with SJ started long before George's watch. SJ has cut his nose off to spite his face, nobody can deny that.

My problem with George isn't just his handling of SJ but his "bullish" statements about things like marketing and membership numbers. The NZ press has a long memory for click bait and I fear George might give them too much ammunition if the going gets tough this year.

No matter what he says I doubt he is sorry for the way he treated SJ, probably the opposite. Any future Warrior considering the prima donna approach over contract negotiations should know what to expect.

Reaction score
Kestrel84

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Reaction score
after he said that he would limit his efforts if they didnt.
Certain people seem to gloss over this point.

Just as with players like Ata Hingano and Mason Lino, you plan with what you've got, but if a player comes to you with an opportunity elsewhere and you can't promise them they are likely to get a realistic shot at first grade... what do you do? Be a cunt and tell them "sorry, you're our insurance policy if Princess packs a sad"? That's a dick move, and by all accounts neither of those players stack up to the standards the club was really hoping for.

So maybe the club got a bit too ballsy with SJ, but they had the right idea - in no way should they be paying him as much as they were to turn in those performances. I dont think anyone, including us, thought SJ would be crazy enough to throw his toys and leave a year early. Dude was getting paid serious coin.

Point being - shit happens and you have to roll with the punches. We will cope better now that we are an organization that has become less reliant on individual efforts and more on the team as whole.

Reaction score
Warrior482

Warrior482

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Johnson was never going to stay for anything less than a milli. As our marquee player (sorry Elijah).

He was no longer (ever?) worth that outlay.

Not to say he didn't do great things.. some of my favourite sights on a footy field. Without doubt. Skills up to his ears.

There's a reason why he isn't as good as Thurston, Cronk, etc.
Those players live the game. They strive to improve in every facet they can. They play and train with a champs mindset.

Now, some might say that is an unfair comparison. In some ways it probably is.
Johnson is a different type of player. Can't fault him solely for that.

But now we have a true marquee player. RTS.
He fits the criteria to a T. Worth every cent.
The club saw that, and grew a spine.

Ka kite SJ. Thanks for the memories. Genuinely wish you the best.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
So maybe the club got a bit too ballsy with SJ, but they had the right idea - in no way should they be paying him as much as they were to turn in those performances. I dont think anyone, including us, thought SJ would be crazy enough to throw his toys and leave a year early. Dude was getting paid serious coin.
and he has gone for seriously less money, toys out of the cot again.

Reaction score
Tragic

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
and he has gone for seriously less money, toys out of the cot again.
Is that confirmed? Seems crazy to sign for less after leaving because you felt the club didnt value you enough.

Top Bottom