Shaun Johnson

Reaction score

valpy73

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Guys Shaun has now left the building so is no longer a part of this club. Instead of wasting our breath talking about him we should focus on the 2 new kids on the block for the Warriors and the exciting times we have ahead.

People seem to be stuck in the past about our post poor performances. Times have changed and we now have great structures in place so let's see what happens moving forward.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Guys Shaun has now left the building so is no longer a part of this club. Instead of wasting our breath talking about him we should focus on the 2 new kids on the block for the Warriors and the exciting times we have ahead.

People seem to be stuck in the past about our post poor performances. Times have changed and we now have great structures in place so let's see what happens moving forward.
Let's see how our attack fires up in 2019 before we all sit around the camp fire together holding hands and singing kumbaya. The reason many are still fixated on SJ leaving is because we are very concerned with what we are left with in the halves. Also it's not just this forum - how many articles have the NZ league media written this year that don't relate back to SJ having departed?

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

You’re going to have a hard time if you don’t want to read about Shaun Johnson in the Shaun Johnson thread. Which interestingly you post in regularly.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel for Johnson, suffered through years of borderline retarded coaching and recruitment, at a club who couldn't or wouldn't deliver him the coaching talent to compliment Johnson's incredible abilities...then when he finally leaves derptown, and heads to a club with some quality coaching, what happens....kid cant catch a break.
Fair comment, and in both cases you would have to say he or his agent cannot pick a decent club. If they could he would have stayed at the Warriors.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Also it's not just this forum - how many articles have the NZ league media written this year that don't relate back to SJ having departed?
Because they cannot think of anything to write about.:rolleyes:
Let's see how our attack fires up in 2019 before we all sit around the camp fire together holding hands and singing kumbaya.
How about let's see how the attack stacks up before we do a Jonestown mass suicide? Just saying like.;)

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't me who's drunk the kool-aid!
Ok let's get real.

The brains trust lost their crystal ball and let both Mason Lino and James Gavet go before they failed to handle SJ as they would have liked.

They could well pay seriously for that but I doubt wooden spoon territory. What they could do is lose a lot of fan support in a notoriously fickle city.

What I fear is that if they have some injuries in key positions a top 8 finish might not be possible, let alone top four. That would put the club back two seasons, which would not be great.

That means the brains trust is relying on luck, when the NRL has always been a competition where one makes their own luck.

What could they do differently? Don't sign superstars to more than they are worth, and average goalkickers are not superstars. Just saying like.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What could they do differently? Don't sign superstars to more than they are worth, and average goalkickers are not superstars. Just saying like.
Would it surprise you to learn Sj has a better goal kicking percentage than Cameron smith and Andrew johns?

Reaction score

valpy73

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Would it surprise you to learn Sj has a better goal kicking percentage than Cameron smith and Andrew johns?
Agree but both were consistently better players overall. That was SJ weakness in that he was to inconsistent. That's what sets really good players from great players.

For example if I had a choice between SJ and Johnathan Thurston I would choose JT every time because he was consistent.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Agree but both were consistently better players overall. That was SJ weakness in that he was to inconsistent. That's what sets really good players from great players.

For example if I had a choice between SJ and Johnathan Thurston I would choose JT every time because he was consistent.
We were only talking about goal kicking.
The fact u would compare him to thurston (one of the best players to ever lace a boot) is a fair compliment tho.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
At the same age that Shaun is now, and as a starting half (so excluding his predominantly bench role at the Bulldogs), Thurston's win percentage stood at 47.9% compared to SJ's 46.9% win percentage. No one is denying that Thurston isn't the better player, as Defence said, he's one of the all time greats. However, just like any half, he still had plenty of poor games and at that point of his career the Cowboys were missing the finals more often than they made it.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I’ve never understood the logic of having a player who’s constantly average like Green is over a player who ranges from average to outstanding.
No one blames Green for losing us the finals match because none of us ever expected him to win it for us.

Reaction score
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

This organisation is absolute quality!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Alright jokes over, you can come back now SJ.

I don't wanna deal with two rookie halves all season, because of Grandpappi Green's dodgy hammies.

I'm onboard with Mr Browns, this "brains trust" have royally fudged up something delux with this decision.

Reaction score

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Jeepers mate, for someone who just told the forum we shouldn't be "wasting our breath" discussing SJ, you seem to not be able to stop talking about him!

He's gone dude, your not the first fan obsessed with him.....yes we're all going to miss those wonderful skills and yes our team is all the more weaker without him......however time to move on :D

Last edited:
Reaction score

PhilsySH35

NSW Cup Player
Reaction score
Alright jokes over, you can come back now SJ.

I don't wanna deal with two rookie halves all season, because of Grandpappi Green's dodgy hammies.

I'm onboard with Mr Browns, this "brains trust" have royally fudged up something delux with this decision.
Agree - jokes over Shauny, you can come back now, I forgive you, why you want to leeeavvveee mmmee!!! lol

Reaction score
mrblonde

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
We were only talking about goal kicking.
The fact u would compare him to thurston (one of the best players to ever lace a boot) is a fair compliment tho.
Well, not necessarily. I could compare Thurston with Carlos Tuimavavae. But Carlos does not fare well in that comparison, does he?

In hindsight, from my perspective, two Warriors failures:
Warriors management should have said to themselves "Last time Shaun re-signed with us, he want and shopped himself around first. Let's assume he'll do it again for 2020 and see what he comes back with. Not say a thing to him or the media because 2019's signed and sealed so let's not rush this.", rather than suggest it to Shaun, which (whether you regard it as a fair reaction or an over-reaction) evidently upset him and/or his manager.
Having made the first error, Warriors management maybe should have refused (if he asked)/ not signed off on (if they told him) Mason's release at the mere hint Shaun was seriously unhappy. I know ML's release was announced late September and this first became public late October, but discussions must have started late season...

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well, not necessarily. I could compare Thurston with Carlos Tuimavavae. But Carlos does not fare well in that comparison, does he?

In hindsight, from my perspective, two Warriors failures:
Warriors management should have said to themselves "Last time Shaun re-signed with us, he want and shopped himself around first. Let's assume he'll do it again for 2020 and see what he comes back with. Not say a thing to him or the media because 2019's signed and sealed so let's not rush this.", rather than suggest it to Shaun, which (whether you regard it as a fair reaction or an over-reaction) evidently upset him and/or his manager.
Having made the first error, Warriors management maybe should have refused (if he asked)/ not signed off on (if they told him) Mason's release at the mere hint Shaun was seriously unhappy. I know ML's release was announced late September and this first became public late October, but discussions must have started late season...
As another poster pointed out. I think the thing that threw out the clubs plans was Holmes leaving for the NFL. Before then there wasn’t any serious title contenders that would have had the cash for Johnson and the club would have known that.

Top Bottom