General Shaun Johnson - signed until end of 2014

Xt1ncT_old

Vodafone Warriors secure Johnson until 2014

Shaun Johnson, the Vodafone Warriors’ 2011 Young NRL Player of the Year, has today confirmed he’s staying with the club until at least the end of the 2014 season.
After an exceptional rookie campaign which culminated in his appearance in the NRL grand final, the Peter Brown managed 21-year-old has signalled his commitment to the club.
“I’ve had an amazing year and I’m really excited about the future here at the Vodafone Warriors,” said Johnson.
“They’ve developed me, given me the chance to play in the NRL and I want to repay everyone for the support I’ve received.
“I’ve been lucky enough to experience the NRL grand final in my very first season and I want to do all I can to give myself the chance of playing a lot more first-grade games.”
After an injury-disrupted start to the season, Johnson made his NRL debut against the Sydney Roosters in June, going on to play 16 first-grade games.
The announcement of Johnson’s contract extension comes a week after confirmation experienced Kiwi international Thomas Leuluai is to return to the Vodafone Warriors in 2013 and follows the announcement yesterday that off-contract standoff James Maloney will return to Australia after the 2012 season.
“I’ve really enjoyed playing alongside Jimmy and learning from him,” said Johnson.
“Hopefully we’ll have the chance to improve our combination again next year.
“While it is disappointing Jimmy has made the decision to finish up here at the end of 2012, it’s great for us that Thomas is coming back to the club.”
Vodafone Warriors head coach Brian McClennan said retaining Johnson until the end of the 2014 season - when he’ll be 24 - was critical to the club’s future.
“I’ve really enjoyed watching Shaun’s development,” he said.
“He has come right through the club’s system and I’m excited about working with him to help him reach his potential.
“What has really impressed me is what a level-headed young man he is. So much expectation has been placed on him but he obviously has his feet very firmly on the ground.”
Johnson excelled in his two seasons in the NYC in 2009 and 2010, helping the club to its first premiership when the Vodafone Junior Warriors won the Toyota Cup grand final against South Sydney last year. In 45 NYC games he scored 412 points.
Johnson missed this year’s trials with a back injury, making his playing return with the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup before taking the step up to the NRL.
Despite playing only 16 games, he led all Vodafone Warriors players for try assists with 18, ninth best among all NRL players and not far behind the top-ranked Darren Lockyer (26), Jarryd Hayne (24), Benji Marshall (24) and Johnathan Thurston (22).

Source: Warriors email

I didn't realise he had so many try assists in so few games! Great stat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanrrior_old

I hope we don't begin to rely on him though. I would dearly hate to see us turn into a Tigers type of club and really suffer when he gets injured. Luckily we have Mateo etc to help.

sebastian_old

I hope we don't begin to rely on him though. I would dearly hate to see us turn into a Tigers type of club and really suffer when he gets injured. Luckily we have Mateo etc to help.

Can't have it both ways. Can't have a couple average halves that are mediocre, yet easily replacable. Yet at the same time have a super star that isn't missed when injured.

We'll miss Johnson if hes ever injured, lets all hope those games are very far and few between.

Fazz_old

Great news. People can complain that we didn't re-sign Maloney, but the club has covered it's bases pretty well everywhere else.

Northern_Union

If a player doesn't want to sign we can't force him. Good luck to Maloney in Sydney in 2013.

Warrioraholic_old

I really think Friend will help Johnsons game, the club is in a really good place at the moment

Est95_old

I really think Friend will help Johnsons game, the club is in a really good place at the moment

I agree, I wasn't that excited about the Friend signing at the begining but now I think he may be one of the key components in our team, kinda like a Smith/Cronk or Farah/Marshall I think Friend/Johnson could be a great combo.

TBH I thought the club was in a really good place at the end of 2008 and we all know how 2009 turned out! But nah we should be sweet :)

numbnutsnz_old

Not only will Friends combo with Johnson be crucial, the fact he plays 80 minutes is his best attribute I reckon. Lets us have a Ukuma or Steve Rapira on the bench. I like the idea of a big hitter coming on for a few spells a game to rough up the opposition.