Player Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

We are going to be lethal - Berry is getting better and better, and Roger is Roger.

Can you imagine RTS in 1 on 1 situations 5m from the line, when he's also got the option to pass to his wing? How the hell is anyone going to stop that!
I hope we put Ali in. He's an absolute gun and has more potential then Berry. Berry has been solid but you can't pass up on a generational talent like Ali.

Your assuming he's a generational talent, I don't see it yet.

If he was that good, he'd already be a first grade regular.
I think it's Webby. He already told the bunch he trusted them and wanted them. He was never going to throw anyone out.

Team selection during there last 7 rounds proved it. Otherwise Montoya definitely should have been dropped and maybe even Pompey.

I'd be pissed if Ali goes somewhere else.

I think it's Webby. He already told the bunch he trusted them and wanted them. He was never going to throw anyone out.

Team selection during there last 7 rounds proved it. Otherwise Montoya definitely should have been dropped and maybe even Pompey.

I'd be pissed if Ali goes somewhere else.
I both understand and don’t understand the hype around Ali. He’s a kid who was signed out of kings rugby union a few years ago. The school I worked at versed him. He was handy, but by no means a generational talent. There’s hype around him, and he debuted brilliantly, but imo he’s not currently better than Pompey/berry. These guys are stacking games, have finals experience & are both improving. Pompey handled his assignment against a SOO centre last week. He’s young, and still only played 40-50 games. Anyway, ali signed a 2y extension, so he isn’t going anywhere, so too Pompey. One thing the warriors have struggled with is depth. We haven’t had 4 centres fighting for two spots, for as long as I can remember. Give them all a pre season, see who performs, reward those & then keep them on their toes knowing we have depth. All this talk about RTS & Ali being our starting centres in 24 is ridiculous imo. Even RTS needs to prove himself (I’m of the opinion he does), and Pompey/berry need to show they’re not deserving of starting before losing their spots. They’re theirs to lose currently & that’s how it should be.

You just know what RTS will bring to what may be one of the most exciting and intense off seasons for the Warriors. We are reinserting one of the most hardest trainers on the park into a system which has already strived under Andrew Webster in 2023. RTS will bring more energy and work ethic which is just awesome.

How strong is fullback promised to CNK? Or is it a loose arrangement until off season kicks off. No doubt CNK should remain fullback, but i think we also have to be realistic about what each player possesses in the position of Centre and Fullback before making the final call.

Lets just consider some of the key stats from both players in their time with the Warriors at a similar age of around 27, and then factor in their best possible positions for the Warriors in 2024 despite what might be the obvious as we have heard from Webster.

CNK - 28 Years of age
Running Meters - averaged 159m with the Raiders and 169m with Warriors which includes 2017 and 2023 (188m) seasons.
Try Assists - 8 total for Warriors and 9 total for Raiders
Line Break Assists - 12 total for Warriors and 18 total for raiders
Defence - lets call it 85% efficiency

RTS - 30 years of age
Running Meters - just focusing on the past 3 years 2019 - 2021 - 200+ average meters and a total average of 195m across total Warriors career.
Try Assists - 38 total for Warriors
Line Break Assists - 64 total for Warriors
Defence - lets call it 69% efficiency

Based on the above, you would think that you are likely to extract more potency from RTS in a fullback position then you would in at Centre. Defensively you trust CNK so can he emulate that in the Centre position as his game is more built of effort and consistency.

If age is a factor then I think you totally squash that because James Tedesco is also 30 and rediscovered his form for the Roosters at the back end of this season.

The way our forwards and attack worked through the middle this year made me think about the amount of opportunities which RTS would have had with his footwork and speed (not that he is that quick mind you).

This off season is sure to be interesting because I don't think that we will see a straight forward plan for the fullback and Centre role.

I both understand and don’t understand the hype around Ali. He’s a kid who was signed out of kings rugby union a few years ago. The school I worked at versed him. He was handy, but by no means a generational talent. There’s hype around him, and he debuted brilliantly, but imo he’s not currently better than Pompey/berry. These guys are stacking games, have finals experience & are both improving. Pompey handled his assignment against a SOO centre last week. He’s young, and still only played 40-50 games. Anyway, ali signed a 2y extension, so he isn’t going anywhere, so too Pompey. One thing the warriors have struggled with is depth. We haven’t had 4 centres fighting for two spots, for as long as I can remember. Give them all a pre season, see who performs, reward those & then keep them on their toes knowing we have depth. All this talk about RTS & Ali being our starting centres in 24 is ridiculous imo. Even RTS needs to prove himself (I’m of the opinion he does), and Pompey/berry need to show they’re not deserving of starting before losing their spots. They’re theirs to lose currently & that’s how it should be.
I agree with what you have said. I'll add a few more things.

RTS is 3x player of the year and Dally M winner. He has been active in the last two years. If you watch him he still has a step and pace. You know he has the best work ethic and leadership skills. He's going to slot straight in.

Ali showed promise in his one and only game at NRL and he's been carving up in NSW cup. While you can't say he's the next Clinton Toopi you have to agree that Pompey and Berry will never be anything near that.

I agree with what you have said. I'll add a few more things.

RTS is 3x player of the year and Dally M winner. He has been active in the last two years. If you watch him he still has a step and pace. You know he has the best work ethic and leadership skills. He's going to slot straight in.

Ali showed promise in his one and only game at NRL and he's been carving up in NSW cup. While you can't say he's the next Clinton Toopi you have to agree that Pompey and Berry will never be anything near that.
I agree with that, too. hence why I can see both sides. But we need to create a culture of it’s your spot til you lose it. RTS needs to prove he deserves the spot (which he will), and Ali too. I’ve actually been really impressed with berry this year, his defence & catch/pass is improving every week. Pompey is rocks and diamonds, but the gaps between his best & worst performances are closing. He is also young & is stringing some games together now, and seeing the benefits. Imo it’ll be Roger & berry starting next year, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s RTS & Pompey. I still think Ali is 4th choice, but again that’s just my opinion. I haven’t seen enough of the kid & carving in nsw cup and being a consistent nrl player are two vastly different things.

I have no concerns at all about RTS being ready to go and I think will be our #1 centre option come round 1 2024.
The second he signed he would have started watching tape of the best centres. All off-season he will be working his arse off to own the position.
There is no way this man is going to come in underdone after the last couple of frustrating union years. He will be doing everything he can to make an instant impact. He will finish the year as a top 10 centre.

In that little clip with RTS on Once a Warrior how cool was it to see him not even thinking of the club and considering taking his family across to Japan which would have been a unique experience for them but instead he gets excited about returning to the Warriors and like he said 26+ weeks of hard football.

Also, Webster instead of a quick chat was prepared with a presentation. I wouldn't be surprised if other potential recruits get a quick presentation on where they are seen as part of the plans or how the club is going, living in Auckland etc. to get them over the line. Each person's needs will be unique.

I hope we put Ali in. He's an absolute gun and has more potential then Berry. Berry has been solid but you can't pass up on a generational talent like Ali.
Not only is he athletic and explosive, he's got fantastic skills that some nrl Centres would kill for!

I especially love how he can switch ball over mid run to use a fend or offload.

I'll say he will will be Dally M rookie of the year next season!

Lucky for him and us, it won't matter in a few week's time, but good to see that they said he would be playing fullback before the NPC season started, only to move him back at second-five :rolleyes:
He was at fullback early in the season.

I don't mind where he plays for union as long as he gets game time and can work on the step and pass.

I have followed Ali closely for some time and on ability alone he looks to be a generational talent. Its been many years since I saw a player in the Warriors system that has athletic ability and gifts like he does.

Ali could literally be anything. I would lock him down as long as I could if I was Warriors management. He will dead set be a superstar and regular match winner if his development continues.

Too good for NSW cup and his talent is a universe ahead of Rocco Berry.

Not a knock on Rocco Berrywho has worked hard but Ali is a generational talent in the making and you can't compare the two.

If I had to lose one of them to keep the other, I know Ali is the guy to keep.

Put him on the Wing next year if need be for Montoya. Just get him into the side ASAP!!!

Back