1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

Selestino Ravutaumada
    Rotorua Boys' first XV star signs with NZ Warriors
    4 Aug, 2018 8:10am
    4 minutes to read
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Rotorua Boys' High School first XV star Selesitino Ravutaumada has signed with New Zealand Warriors. Photo / Stephen Parker

Looking through file photos of Rotorua Boys' High School First XV star Selesitino Ravutaumada, it is no coincidence that in most of them he is slipping out of tackles and leaving opposition players in his dust. It's just what he does.

Blessed with an overwhelming amount of speed and X-factor, the 18-year-old has taken the first step towards a career in sport after school, signing with the New Zealand Warriors this week.

Ravutaumada's story is one of drive, determination and a willingness to support his family. He moved to Rotorua from Fiji two years ago on a rugby scholarship at Rotorua Boys' High School with the long-term goal of forging a professional sporting career so he could afford to bring his family over from Fiji.

Signing with the Auckland-based NRL side is a massive step in the right direction. He follows in the footsteps of his 2017 first XV teammates Hayze Perham and Tom Ale who signed similar contracts last year. Ravutaumada will make the move to Auckland in November, when he finishes school.

He said he was happy about the move and grateful for the opportunity.

"It's pretty cool, I'm excited. The Warriors gave me the best deal. I played league last year for the New Zealand schools team, league is probably easier, you play more structure.

Rotorua Boys' High School first XV fullback Selesitino Ravutaumada on his way to scoring a try against Gisborne Boys' High School in the Super 8 competition. Photo / File

"My family were freaking out when I told them. My goal is to get them over here in three years, so they can stay here. I just want to help my family."

He will start off with the Warriors' development side and is likely to ply his trade in the centres or on the wing where his tackle-breaking ability should shine. He said his favourite thing about rugby - union and league - was running around with his team-mates and "gassing people".

As well as linking up with former teammates Perham and Ale, Ravutaumada was looking forward to learning from some of the world's best players, such as Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Shaun Johnson.

While blessed with natural attacking flair, he has worked hard on his game in the last two years and credits the school and his coaches for helping him get to this point in his career.

Selesitino Ravutaumada makes a break against Tauranga Boys' College. Photo / File

Rotorua Boys' High School principal Chris Grinter said: "This is a wonderful opportunity for Selesitino, he is definitely a talented sportsman, with a very bright future. This opportunity with the Warriors will give him every opportunity to build a successful career.

"The fact that two of our first XV players from last year are with the Warriors this year also provides further support for a young man who is living away from his homeland of Fiji."

Grinter said Ravutaumada had worked hard on his overall game since arriving at the school.

"Selesitino, like most of the young men we get from the Pacific Islands, arrived with good skills, lots of speed but lacked the understanding and pattern of the New Zealand game of rugby. This takes these boys at least a year, sometimes even two years, to become fully confident and comfortable with how New Zealanders at high school play rugby.

"Selesitino started to shine last year and this year in Year 13 is excelling now that he's built that confidence and understanding. His potential was widely recognised and he indeed had a number of opportunities in both rugby and league to consider, which he did carefully before making this final decision."

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Just reminded me about some stuff I had heard about this kid. Thought I'd start his own thread.

He's now living at the Warriors house and has settled in really well. Humble kid from Fiji who just can't believe he is living in a 'mansion'. Has adapted to Carmine and Spencers routine quite quickly and maintaining their high standards.

The raps on this kid are incredible and its thought he will be the fastest in the club when preseason tests are done. Hayze Perham is meant to be at the moment and Sele is faster than him.

Can't wait to watch him in action...

3. BiggerD
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

BiggerD 1st Grade Fringe

He looks "friggen " Awesome

Heck , I wish I was 20 something again.. I would be a professional Rugby or League player.

Keep playing BULLRUSH.. Kiwi kids.. your time may come.

I went to Palmerston North Boys High btw.. a Good Rugby team in the 80s

Manawatu born & bred

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  4. ForTheLoveOfGod
    Join:
    Sep 5, 2017

ForTheLoveOfGod 1st Grade Fringe

Incredible potential this kid. I know this gets said about every 2nd player these days but the hype of this guy is legit. Extremely quick with to die for balance. He is a certainty to play NRL at some stage.

Footage from the game he played today. To say he owned it is an understatement - 5 trys I think.

5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Yeah gets said about every kid doesn't it but the hype was very real. This kid has the lot. Speed, balance, step without losing speed, situational awareness, spatial awareness and more importantly he's got his head screwed on and trains the house down.

Guys like Christian Tuipulotu, while just as precocious, want it all now and are lazy trainers. Sele is prepared to work his way up and do the hard work.

Brian Smith and Peter O'Sullivan are excited as hell about him. That should tell you everything...

6. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Spence an Carmine ?
    Do they run the house .Iv only seen one article about it
    And it was more talking about Sam Lisone .

7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Yep. And what I've heard they are not to be fucked with lol. Run a very tight ship and set very high standards. Lost a few boys this year because they couldn't or wouldn't aim high. They are still signed to the club and live in Auckland but can no longer live in the Warriors house where they are taught how to become adults and professional athletes...

8. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Sounds good .
    I was kind of thinking it was run by some
    Sympathetic arm of the club .With instructions
    Not to upset our boys .
    Its good there is still some discipline an
    Expectations around .
    Saying that I would get kicked out for sure .
    But that's the point. I'm thinking

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Big, skillful and FAST!

Got a definite GI, Latrell Mitchell vibe. Better learn how to say his name haha.

Hope O'Sullivan spends some time in Fiji in the near future.

PS Those Rotorua Boys High Jerseys are dope!

10. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Not sure if anyone should know, but how tall and heavy is he?

11. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

He has freakish speed that’s the most exciting thing about this kid, throw his other attributes and I can see why there’s so much hype.

The Ponga step for his 4th try, how good was it!

It’s looking like it’ll be log jam of talent in the ISP backline next season, Ayshford may be coming off the bench.

1. Perham
    2. Klokstad
    3. Pauga
    4. Ravutaumada
    5. Soosemea

12. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

didnt realise all 3 guys came from RBHS, thats awesome.

the youngest Naholo was in the same side last year but already playing mitre 10 cup for the naki !

13. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

One for the good guys.

We have a lot of good things but we actually don't have electric speed.

Thank you Fiji.

14. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Be fun hearing the commentators different versions of his name.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  15. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Madd Dogg would have eight versions just in one half of a game ;)

16. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Ayshford is a professional club man, just the example young guys need.
    How about a trip up North first?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

I see he scored 2 more tries today in a 22-12 win for Rotorua BHS over Otahuhu College (who were previously unbeaten).

18. Uncmase
    Join:
    Mar 12, 2016

Uncmase 1st Grade Fringe

I've been waiting for a big, fast fijian for a long time! Yuuuss! Lol

19. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

Jesus, what a freak.

He didn’t get tackled once that whole game.

Also should of been 6 tries, he gave the ball to another player over the line like he was playing under 7s

20. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

Is he Addo hyphen Carr fast?
    Jimmy the jet fast?
    Vunivalu fast?

He looks faster than everyone else in the videos but that should even out in man grade shouldn't it?

Or?