General Seibold steps down from Maroons duty

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015

After months of intense speculation about his coaching future and personal life, Anthony Seibold could barely bring himself to leave his daughter in Sydney to return to Brisbane.

That was the straw that broke Seibold's back.

The Brisbane coach fronted reporters at Red Hill on Wednesday morning to provide a statement and take questions about his tenure alongside chief executive Paul White.

Seibold used his time in a COVID-19 hold to reflect on the position the club is in and ultimately decided to approach club chair Karl Morris late last week to discuss a settlement.

That settlement has now been reached and Seibold shed a few tears on Wednesday while telling his players he would no longer be the man to lead the club.

"I thought it was best for the Broncos and myself that we separate and I stand down," Seibold said.

Seibold was placed in isolation after staying in Sydney to be with his family following the club's loss to the Rabbitohs a fortnight ago.

Leaving his daughter to return to Brisbane was the trigger to seek a settlement.

"I think the final straw was hopping back on a plane from Sydney when I wanted to be with my daughter," Seibold said.

The vile social media rumours which have rocked Seibold in recent weeks have seen the coach engage a lawyer and European cybercrime experts to try and find their source.

While his time at the Broncos has come to an end, his hunt for justice has not.

"Yeah, it is my intention," Seibold said when asked if he would take the investigation "as far as he can".

"I've been in a bubble, remember guys. I haven't been able to get in front of a solicitor, I haven't been able to speak to the police and today's not the day to be talking about that, either," Seibold said.

"But I've had some really good people reach out to me about it. There is some change needed with regards to legislation and cyber bullying and social media commentary and so on. But that's for another time.

"I'll certainly be making a considered decision - but my decision-making is that I'll be going to police and giving them some names and let them deal with it as they wish."

White said he would be accountable for the decision to sign Seibold - who at the time had just one year of head coaching experience under his belt - to a five-year deal and turf Wayne Bennett in the process.

"We're totally accountable. I'm as accountable today as I was when I appointed Anthony," White said.

"To qualify that, we fought hard to get Anthony at our club. He was the reigning Dally M coach of the year and his incumbent club South Sydney had offered him a four-year deal.

"We saw him as the right man to guide what was a young roster in building a team for the future.

"He had history with our club, he knew our elite player development systems, so we thought he was the ideal candidate. And we made a long-term investment decision in Anthony for the future of our club.

"We were accountable then and we're accountable now."

Reactions: Worried2Death

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
"White said he would be accountable for the decision to sign Seibold - who at the time had just one year of head coaching experience under his belt - to a five-year deal and turf Wayne Bennett in the process.

"We're totally accountable. I'm as accountable today as I was when I appointed Anthony," White said."

Sort of makes Cameron George look like a genius.

Flaco

Warriors Bench Player
Jan 7, 2020
If you are a coach, it has to make you wonder: How can a guy go from being coach of the year two years ago to rock bottom today? He cannot be a bad coach. He did not win coach of the year in a raffle. He cannot have forgotten how to coach, surely. Maybe the "fit" wasn't good. But that only begs more questions: Could the poor fit have been anticipated? What, exactly, was poor about the fit? Did the players not care about him or their own performances? Why did things spiral into disaster? What were the problems and why could no one solve them? Man, coaching is one complex job.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
If you are a coach, it has to make you wonder: How can a guy go from being coach of the year two years ago to rock bottom today? He cannot be a bad coach. He did not win coach of the year in a raffle. He cannot have forgotten how to coach, surely. Maybe the "fit" wasn't good. But that only begs more questions: Could the poor fit have been anticipated? What, exactly, was poor about the fit? Did the players not care about him or their own performances? Why did things spiral into disaster? What were the problems and why could no one solve them? Man, coaching is one complex job.
Makes you wonder if he walked into a good rabbits team left by Maguire and inherited a mess left by Bennett. Should have taken the four year deal at the rabbitohs.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
If you are a coach, it has to make you wonder: How can a guy go from being coach of the year two years ago to rock bottom today?
Very good question.

Siebold picked up a well drilled squad from Madge. Coaches have a bad record following Bennett.

Bennett has a very basic style of coaching. Seibold had studied coaching at Harvard (or somewhere like that) and was into computer presentations and gobbledegook.

That is not saying he was a bad coach, just a hell of a change from Bennett.

Maybe like John Mitchell, presents better to the board than the players.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
If you are a coach, it has to make you wonder: How can a guy go from being coach of the year two years ago to rock bottom today?
Would you want him as a Warriors coach? I wouldn't.

Reactions: Noitall

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
"White said he would be accountable for the decision to sign Seibold - who at the time had just one year of head coaching experience under his belt - to a five-year deal and turf Wayne Bennett in the process.

"We're totally accountable. I'm as accountable today as I was when I appointed Anthony," White said."

Sort of makes Cameron George look like a genius.
Nice quote from the CEO about being accountable. Isn't he finishing up at the end of the season. A career in politics awaits.

Reactions: bruce

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Didn't Seibold want to move to Brisbane for family reasons? He now has to move away as in Brisbance his career options are limited.

His whole tenure has been a mess since the start will he or won't swap with Bennett and the accusations of the both of them screwing with the others pre-season. Trying to carry on a fued with Bennett wasn't smart.

He inherited a squad with some of the most exciting up and coming forwards. Not sure if they played to their strengths or not.

The 50-0 thrashing in the semi final wouldn't of left anyone in the club with much confidence.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings