General Secret Auction Draft (Game Thread)

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Im not 100% sure what I am signing up for but I'm am keen (at least to read the rules for a start!)
Awesome Samo thanks for joining
You will love the game
And of course you may graciously withdraw due to the rules not appealing once I publish them

Reactions: samo3987

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Ill be in if u need players wrighty wrighty
If u have enough already or if someone who didnt play last time wants a turn im happy to let them have a go- u probably have an optimum number of players in mind.

wrighty

Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Ill be in if u need players wrighty wrighty
If u have enough already or if someone who didnt play last time wants a turn im happy to let them have a go- u probably have an optimum number of players in mind.
You're in. Thanks for playing Defence. Welcome to the game :)

wrighty

Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Hi Team

Due to having 14 entrants am now closing the gates on entry. Anyone who registers now will go on to a waiting list to take the place of anyone who withdraws (a few people said they might after reading the rules).

Confirmed Contestants
1 Wizards Rage
2 YeahNah 4020
3 Hardyman's yugo - subject to reading the rules
4 TajHay - tentative yes
5 Pullin Teeth
6 WarriorNation
7 Naumaifooty
8 Offthebench
9 Mr Brownstone
10 samo - subject to reading the rules
11 Bringmethehorizon
12 Defence
13 WellingtonWarrior
14 Chchfanatic

Reactions: Off The Bench

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Awesome cheers for giving us something to do .
Alrighty writey where do I find the rules .

• Haha
Reactions: Defence

wrighty

Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Start with a core basic rules outline and leave the detail in the terms and conditions in fine print that nobody reads 😉
That's really good advice as my mind, as it always does, has already turned its attention to mitigating minor issues such as two contestants bidding the exact same amount for a player. By the time list all of those minor detail rules it will get lengthy so will follow your advice and have a basic rule outline and then detailed rules that people can either read or not read as they choose.
GOOD SUGGESTION !!

tajhay

👻
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Also edit first post with all required information and link to it rather than having number of posts outlining rules and decisions. Makes it hard to follow. Message me when ready and I'll to help you out.

wrighty

Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Also edit first post with all required information and link to it rather than having number of posts outlining rules and decisions. Makes it hard to follow. Message me when ready and I'll to help you out.
Cool. Will need some help defo Tajhay as don't know how to link to posts. Good idea.

Reactions: tajhay

wrighty

Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Tajhay

when you get a moment would you be able to change the thread title so it ends with “game thread” rather than “sign up thread”

may get on to these rules soon as have a free evening suddenly.

Reactions: tajhay

wrighty

Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
Thanks TajHay for your help including changing the thread title.

Here are the preliminary rules. Will post them in the opening post after we have fine tuned them and ironed out any kinks.

GAME CONCEPT

There are 14 contestants. Each contestant tries to compile the best rugby league team they can by acquiring/successfully bidding on players I will offer up each day. A rugby league team will be 13 dudes as opposed to 17.

I will offer X players each day for bidding (perhaps 10 to 15?? (we will discuss how many X should be in this thread in the next few days – would like your advice)

The players will be from any part of the world who have played at least ten test matches and appeared in at least once in a test match between 1980 – 2020.

I will come up with some type of system of either programming my computer to randomly choose X players each day. I may if I can figure out the coding ensure the computer picks at least one or two marquee players are on offer each day.

Each contestant will have a war chest of $10M to acquire their 13 players.

We will use a silent auction process.

Contestants will look at the daily list of X players and bid on a minimum of one player each round.

The highest bidder wins each player

We will have 2 or 3 super rounds. These will be open auction rounds where you bid in the thread instead of PM'ing me.

DETAILED RULES

• Wrighty will be the administrator/owner/adjudicator and rule maker of this game. I will post the rules in advance but also potentially invent and even change rules as required during the game and decide disputes by making a judgement call.
  • If a tie on bids no one gets that player. Contestants encouraged to give granular bids rather than round bids e.g $56,537 reduces chance of tie vs $100,000 on the nose.
  • Each round will be announced during the day - All bids due by 7am the following day New Zealand time. This will allow for overseas people in different countries to participate.
  • Send in your bids via personal message.
  • If you PM your bids and have a change of heart. You may send ONE edit/revision before the 7am deadline.
  • Minimum bid is $1
  • Must bid in dollar units ie can’t go down to cents to bid.
  • No bid or group of bids you make can be more than the balance of your war chest.
  • If you run out of money. Wrighty will allocate you some fillin players who have between 10 to 20 test matches to make up your 13. They won’t be great players.
  • You may acquire up to 15 players and name your top 13. This rule is there in case you acquire someone you don't really want that much upon review.
  • If you go inactive and don't bid on at least one player in a given day you get a strike. Two strikes and you are eliminated.
  • The number of rounds / daily drafts will continue until all contestants have at least 13 players. When the last dude gets to 13 we stop. If you are the last guy left please don't drag it out if you need three or four guys. When the game gets down to only 3 or fewer players left to acquire a minimum 13 guys all of those remaining contestants must bid on enough players each round where by if they win those bids they will have 13,

QUESTIONS

What should X be?
Does 15 max sound good or is 16 or 17 better? Maybe 17 upon further thought.
Minimum 10 tests may be too low..may up, this will investigate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings