Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Come to think about. Metcalf must be one of the ones mentioned in a skipworth article of considering a request
The dragons LU forum has identified him as a target. He’s a good bargaining chip for a player we could use with Ben Hunt’s future still shaky there. Will be tough if this is his second better deal that the club he’s with won’t release him like the sharks, but as they all concede it’s a business.

Compared to Metcalf, CHT is a superstar defender.
Based purely on stats, and I appreciate they can be misleading in isolation, that is not correct. Metcalf has a superior tackle efficiency. However my comment was CHT relative to playing in the forwards, which a couple of posts have suggested. I’m not saying he can’t improve & play a role for us there, however his defence would need to improve to do so.

CHT has great tackle technique & when he times it right he can stop the opposition dead in their tracks.
The information got wiped from this site from the cyber hackers but in 2022 the side conceded less points per game without CHT in the team. Lots of things to factor in such as cohesion on the edges & strength the opposition, but they were the facts. Personally I see him as Walker's understudy although his kicking did improve markedly in his last season & he's our only lefty so wouldn't be surprised if Webby thinks he a legitimate option at #6

Last edited:
Based purely on stats, and I appreciate they can be misleading in isolation, that is not correct. Metcalf has a superior tackle efficiency. However my comment was CHT relative to playing in the forwards, which a couple of posts have suggested. I’m not saying he can’t improve & play a role for us there, however his defence would need to improve to do so.
Metcalf is a speed bump that at least slows them down for others to arrive and assist him with the tackle. Our whole left side defence suffered because of this when he played. For all we know, Metcalf might not be content with where he sits in the squad? I personally don’t think he’s done enough to start over TMM, haven’t seen CHT play recently to say I think he also would be ahead of Metcalf but with CHT able to fill more roles in the team off the bench, I’ve probably got him also ahead of Metcalf in my mind.

You are comparing apples with oranges when looking at tackle efficient. Metcalf in a top 4 side got 85.89% this year. CHT in a bottom 4 side got 84.38 in his last year. The year before that and still a crap side he got 89.57. Put him in the same defensive structure as Metcalf and defensively he will be better than Metcalf. As an attacking threat CHT will not beat Metcalf.

Trying to follow what’s happening with Luai, but like a soap opera. Sounds like he’s definitely signed with the tigers but the bulldogs and dragons came in really late, like the cooling off period late. He’s apparently been told to have the week away from training, which apparently why he’s not there and not the speculation that he’s just not showing up. Latest is, whether there’s any truth to it that he’s getting cold feet about the tigers as there have been a lot of leaks regarding him and the panthers are denying being the source.

You are comparing apples with oranges when looking at tackle efficient. Metcalf in a top 4 side got 85.89% this year. CHT in a bottom 4 side got 84.38 in his last year. The year before that and still a crap side he got 89.57. Put him in the same defensive structure as Metcalf and defensively he will be better than Metcalf. As an attacking threat CHT will not beat Metcalf.
I only even mentioned Metcalf because someone else raised his name. My point is that CHT hasn’t yet showed strong enough defence to be comparable to that of a forward - despite what some on here think.

Metcalf is a speed bump that at least slows them down for others to arrive and assist him with the tackle. Our whole left side defence suffered because of this when he played. For all we know, Metcalf might not be content with where he sits in the squad? I personally don’t think he’s done enough to start over TMM, haven’t seen CHT play recently to say I think he also would be ahead of Metcalf but with CHT able to fill more roles in the team off the bench, I’ve probably got him also ahead of Metcalf in my mind.
Don't forget that Shaun Johnson was also a speed bump until recently, so it can be coached. Many halves including Maloney were speed bumps their whole career. Metcalf has genuine speed (something our team lacks) and I personally would invest in him as we now have a decent coaching staff. I see CHT more inclined to be like Walkers role.

Don't forget that Shaun Johnson was also a speed bump until recently, so it can be coached. Many halves including Maloney were speed bumps their whole career. Metcalf has genuine speed (something our team lacks) and I personally would invest in him as we now have a decent coaching staff. I see CHT more inclined to be like Walkers role.
Thats fair, though I think SJ has had his defence under control for a while now. I’m not sold on Metcalf’s speed, he didn’t factor in this seasons top speeds reached, though he was injured and learning another style to put less impact on his hamstring but then injured the other. This could be an ongoing thing like Papenhuyzen? Not disputing he’s got pace but sometimes that can cause injuries for some. I also thought some of his decision making wasn’t great at times and seemed to back himself when space was clear wider. Hanson around the squad now could be looked at as someone in waiting?

Does that play into who Webster picks for round 1?

Why invest game time into someone who’s heading out the door when you have TMM and CHT that are longer term?
I don't necessarily think that would effect his decisions in the next season 2. We're not in our development phase. This is our premiership window.

The bits I've seen of tuaupiki his nimbleness and acceleration reminds me of Reece Walsh. Has a lot of potential. Don't know too much about his defense with his size but I think I do remember him making a pretty good tackle or 2 on someone.

We rated 2nd equal best forward pack going into next season.
Their analysis was
Of yeah AfB plays there
Mark them 2nd
Sydney club has to first remember

We are nowhere near second best

We rated 2nd equal best forward pack going into next season.
The article is just one person's opinion but I fail to see us 2nd=. As it doesn't take into consideration the bench I think it exaggerates our strength & lessens how powerful someone like the Roosters are when it doesn't factor in any of Leniu, Crichton, May & Tupouniua

Back