General Season 2012 - End Of Year Thoughts

Xt1ncT

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 29, 2012
North Shore
Well that was horrible.

A couple of things are evident following our abject displays this year

-Bluey was clearly the wrong man for the biggest job in NZ League
-We have to get fitter next year. It was clear early on that we weren't as fit as other teams.
-We can't rely on the Jnrs to fill our team. Whilst they have been great, the guys promoted this year haven't been up to it. I'm talking about Hurrell - can't defend. Henry- I think he'll become a good first grade player but he needs a position. If he's a back rower he needs to make more of an impact or his career will be very short.
-The NRL contract situation needs to be mended. Having players in your team hove signed elsewhere for the next year has been shown this year to be a nightmare. Maloney checked out ages ago. Brown has been awful. These transfer talks etc should be kept until much later in the year
-We can't have two halves who can't tackle. Both JM and SJ have been a huge liability. Add in the penalties JM gives away constantly and tbh I'm glad he's going.
-We need a top coach. Not someone going Ito his first role. For me it has to be Bellamy.

Those are my initial thoughts on the year. Will add more wen my heads a bit clearer.

What are yours?

smac19

NSW Cup Player
May 18, 2012
we had the high last year and absolute nose dived into a train wreck this year
neva thought this was possible looking at our roster
under estimated the 'bluey' influence

hesitant to get excited about next year cause its largely the same team
wont be bellamy...cant see him leaving his home
we are the new cronulla come winning premiership title

NFL starts soon...swt

Kalcod

1st Grade Fringe
May 13, 2012
We need to play 2 halves. First half today was excellent, looked like a finals team again, but the 2nd half was abismal. Even taking into to account the wind, there was no reason to have that many points scored against us.

Reactions: Weno

ramraider78

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 24, 2012
Auckland , New Zealand
Well that was horrible.

A couple of things are evident following our abject displays this year

-Bluey was clearly the wrong man for the biggest job in NZ League
-We have to get fitter next year. It was clear early on that we weren't as fit as other teams.
-We can't rely on the Jnrs to fill our team. Whilst they have been great, the guys promoted this year haven't been up to it. I'm talking about Hurrell - can't defend. Henry- I think he'll become a good first grade player but he needs a position. If he's a back rower he needs to make more of an impact or his career will be very short.
-The NRL contract situation needs to be mended. Having players in your team hove signed elsewhere for the next year has been shown this year to be a nightmare. Maloney checked out ages ago. Brown has been awful. These transfer talks etc should be kept until much later in the year
-We can't have two halves who can't tackle. Both JM and SJ have been a huge liability. Add in the penalties JM gives away constantly and tbh I'm glad he's going.
-We need a top coach. Not someone going Ito his first role. For me it has to be Bellamy.

Those are my initial thoughts on the year. Will add more wen my heads a bit clearer.

What are yours?
Look I know Bluey got it wrong but he had factors working against him from management, but when the owner asks you who you want to buy, and you say no one, bad move.
I would always blood in juniors but not that many that fast without having veterans outside of them helping along.
Maloney signing for 2013 in 2011 really effected us IMO you can tell he was off during some games this year, We need a couple more signings in the backs where we struggle e.g. centre. the forward pack have been the shining light this season for me.
The coach question is going to be a talking point until he gets announced, but whoever it is needs to work on fitness and a solid defence structure. DEFENCE WINS GAMES, imo....

Xfactor

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Sydney
Positives for 2012....it's finally over!
Positives for 2013....there's 7 months to learn to love a new team :p
But seriously folks.......
From where I'm sitting, the best coach in the world couldn't do much with this team short of dropping several of them, and as we're all toooo painfully aware...WHO THE FUCK ELSE IS THERE????
If Lewis Brown carves it up for the Panthers next year i'll fucken kill him! Centrebet stadium is only 20min's from here!
Strip them all bare (except Mutts) and start again from the beginning. Fitness fitness fitness first, and when they're all puking their guts out, shove some more fitness down their throats.
Play the best players....not the teachers pets....and play them in a position they KNOW!
Manu (and Billy Tuyards god willing) MUST come off the wings....But again, who else is there?
It pains me to say this, but Konrad needs to spend some time in the Vulcans. He WILL be an awesome talent but, atm, he's just too green. A couple of others should go with him.
As Enigma has stated, Godinet will likely be passed over again, along with Mara, and will rot in the Vulcans frequently thinking to themselves " What's the fucken point?"
Many, many mistakes were made this year and most of them were made by management who, for the most part, have not been held accountable.
I will be nervously awaiting the start of 2013 like a 16 year old about to dip his wick for the first time.
If the 1st 5 rounds show me none of the issues have been addressed, like that 16 year old, I'll prematurely blow my load and will probably end up permanently banned from this site!!!

'WARRIORS4LIFE'

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
I would always blood in juniors but not that many that fast without having veterans outside of them helping along.
The problem with that is that Bluey didn't really have any choice since Ivan chose to release all the experience before he left. The club weren't about to sign mid-season contracts, and the only experience was on the sidelines with players like Ropati, Luck, Mannering, Rapira and the likes. You don't blood the Juniors, then you don't have the numbers to play.

I hope our next coach goes out and buys half a dozen cheap 30 year old journeymen as backup to sit in the Vulcans and wait for an injury. He should also sign at least one winger, but preferably 2, and perhaps one mid-priced centre. Even a cheap injury cover fullback wouldn't go astray. Carlos has done very well, so did Ropo when he was required and not injured, but Fish is a waste of space, Omar is gone and I would rather use Carlos elsewhere on the park, like centre of standoff.

I would like to see Mateo and Sam Lousi used as a combo. Interchange them in the second row. Lousi could become another Mateo. He is obviously ready to have a decent shot at first grade, since he received Vulcans Player of the Year. He had no chance to prove himself when Bluey played him.

This is what I want to see next year

1 Locke - Ropati as first back up, Carlos as 2nd, but prefer a new signing to play Vulcans and cover first grade
2 (Insert new player here), Tupou to cover
3 Carlos, Neilson to cover
4 Konrad, Ropati to cover
5 Manu, but if we were to buy 2 decent wingers, perhaps move him to the bench as impact at some stage during the year. Manu to cover if we get a new wing.
6 Johnson, Leuluai to cover and Carlos as extra cover
7 Godinet, Leuluai to cover
8 Packer, Sione Lousi to cover
9 Friend, Mara to cover
10 Matulino, Steve Rapira to cover
11 Mateo, Sam Lousi to cover
12 Mannering, Benry to cover
13 Lowrie, Taylor to cover

14 Lillyman
15 Sam Rapira
16 Benry - I'm not convinced I like this but am struggling on how to put 4 on the bench.
17 Sam Lousi to interchange with Mateo

I'm tempted to use Carlos as a utility off the bench but am not entirely sure how I would use him without injury occurring. The more minutes he plays the better. Don't want to bench Friend unless its the only way to get Carlos in, so perhaps play Carlos at centre and shift him around and bring Benry into centre later on.

I would like to see Ruben Wiki giving up his role with the club, if he wants to run his fitness business there is no place for him in the coaching staff. It is a pity Luck is moving home. If he were staying in NZ, I would hire him as defensive coach. I don't mind Iro staying on in some assistants role, but I don't want to see him on the field next year. It is something I feel strongly about. Trainers should only be on the park for injury and to supply water, not putting in 80 minutes. Kearney can have an assistants job as well. I would be very happy to hear Scurrah step aside, and would fully support Steve Price in charge.

Oops, the thread is supposed to be about 2012.

My thoughts, thank God its over!!!!!!!!!

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Well, you know you've got a problem when two of your players - Maloney and Johnson - are in the Top 10 Missed Tackle List.

With 20-20 hindsight:
Should have sacked McLennan after the Manly game - which was the second 18-0 come from in front defeat. Maybe wouldn't have changed the result in terms of finals football, but I think the writing was pretty much on the wall at that point and a change should have been mooted then.

It was obvious from day one that our defence was shithouse. I commented in a half-season review that I thought our scrambling defence had improved but not as much as our first up defence had worsened. Even that scrambling defence disappeared over the last month. First port of call for Mr New Coach has to be a fulltime defence coach or two.

I held out hope for the season probably long than I should have. We had that period of beating two of the Queensland clubs - North Queensland and Gold Coast - and got within two of Brisbane. And we were 18-0 up over Newcastle. I didn't expect a minor premiership at that point and wouldn't have put my heart on a Top 4 spot, but the way we were playing, finals football looked rather doable. Then it turned amazingly to shit....

I hope to never have a season again where a Warriors screwup - usually a defensive one this season but obviously there were a fair few attacking ones - is greeted with silence. Not a groan, a boo, a jeer, a shout of abuse.

Silence.

I was actually laughing at some of the stuff the Raiders were able to get away with today...

Brian McLennan said the only person he listened too about league was his father, Mike.

One wonders what Father's Day gifts were given in the McLennan household today.

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2012
Brisbane
Maybe some posters can practice their grammar for 2013. Lose = not winning, loose = not tight. The sacked coach is named McClennan not McLennan. :)

But seriously that season was a 2009 carbon-copy !

BiggerD

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2012
Sydney
I think NZ Internal Affairs should begin to search Warriors Games for
Betting Movements & Irregularities.

I hate to say it, but I think there is some hanky panky involved.

Please for Warriors fans , Internal Affairs, Check out betting movements on BETFAIR, TABSPORTSBET & other betting sites.

We have live betting here in Australia.. Warriors where very short going into the 2nd half Today...Sportstab..

BiggerD

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2012
Sydney
it seems after watching todays game

"BLUEYS NOT TO BLAME"

Reactions: Jah

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I think NZ Internal Affairs should begin to search Warriors Games for
Betting Movements & Irregularities.

I hate to say it, but I think there is some hanky panky involved.

Please for Warriors fans , Internal Affairs, Check out betting movements on BETFAIR, TABSPORTSBET & other betting sites.

We have live betting here in Australia.. Warriors where very short going into the 2nd half Today...Sportstab..
No offense mate, but that's probably the most absurd thing I've ever read on here. That's putting it mildly, too. Calling them peahearts is one thing, but implying that the team is collectively trying to throw games is a bit ridiculous. We lose games because not a enough hard yards were put in during the off season, and the team simply didn't have enough experience on the park at any one time. On friday the commentators mentioned that Manly's team AVERAGE for NRL games played is 132. I wouldn't be surprised if our average is less than half that. Probably something like 64. That's a pretty massive stat when you think about it.

Reactions: Pozza and Sparky

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Anyway, to back up my little spiel about experience. I took the total games from todays team, and came up with our GPP (Games Per Player) average. Based on today our average was: 83 games per player. Now on paper that looks alright. But consider that Luck (223 Games) Mannering (165 Games) and Lillyman (140 games) have all missed time this season season, and things get a little uglier because our average drops all the way to 63 games per player.

Even then, the average is a bit skewed since Manu is still making rubbish rookie errors 150 odd games in (Without him the average drops again to 56 games per player) Taking into account that Bennett says you're only really a player 50 games in, and it's no wonder we're struggling.

Reactions: Mr Frank White

Raurimu Massive

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Whangarei
I don't think I'd ever entertain the notion we deliberately lost games, but I do think the players and Iro seem to have instigated a kind of 'work to rule' approach. Only a theory, but it looks like they've thought "Hell if this is the way Bluey wants it, we'll stick exactly to it, even though we know it won't work."

When you think about it, player fitness has been an issue for most of the year, and the players could have rectified that personally; they could have rectified Bluey's non-effective defensive approach by using ones they knew would work, but obviously didn't.

I don't think they tried to lose, but I don't think they did everything they could to win, because if they had, it meant that Bluey would have been kept on board.

Again, with the stories of huge levels of dissent and dissatisfaction within the squad, I find it impossible to think the club hierarchy was ignorant of it, and are grossly negligent in their handling of the season.

Slash Razor

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2012
it seems after watching todays game

"BLUEYS NOT TO BLAME"
Bluey may have gone, but he was there in spirit...I would chop every gangrenous, cancerous infected part of Blueys regime out, so sorry Iro and Wiki, even that waterboy that brushed past Bluey arm hes...GONE...in Fatty Vautin voice

Reactions: taika

taika

Waterboy
Jul 30, 2012
Drop em like its hot ...

DROP - Hurrell he needs half a season in Vulcans , he stresses out the other players cos they know he isnt going to make his tackle
DROP Billy Tuyards - He gets good stats by running after Manu who hits it hard playfast ball then Billy gets yards but slow plays balls cos he too weak and gets put on his back .. our most BORING player
DROP Henry - he aint a centre , do you rate him to the games best centres even average centres for eg ..even Willie Tonga miles better then Henry and its a joke isnt it to compare him to Hodges and Lyon ay..
DROP - Locke , poor first hit ups all season, not sniffing enough , looking like an old man with that shit on his leg
DROP - Shaun JOhnson - a man who cant tackle has no spot in League, full stop
DROP - Russell Packer to the bench - plays as an individual if he gets done over good he will get retribution and give away penalties, no heart aswell ...
DROP - Elijah Taylor to the bench , he gets his stats up by being the third man in the tackle

And what do you know most these players have been bred and bled by Dean Bell so yes DROP Dean Bell .

DROP it DROP it low .......

Reactions: Eva and Sup42

Numbnutsnz

1st Grade Fringe
May 4, 2012
Drop em like its hot ...

DROP - Hurrell he needs half a season in Vulcans , he stresses out the other players cos they know he isnt going to make his tackle
DROP Billy Tuyards - He gets good stats by running after Manu who hits it hard playfast ball then Billy gets yards but slow plays balls cos he too weak and gets put on his back .. our most BORING player
DROP Henry - he aint a centre , do you rate him to the games best centres even average centres for eg ..even Willie Tonga miles better then Henry and its a joke isnt it to compare him to Hodges and Lyon ay..
DROP - Locke , poor first hit ups all season, not sniffing enough , looking like an old man with that shit on his leg
DROP - Shaun JOhnson - a man who cant tackle has no spot in League, full stop
DROP - Russell Packer to the bench - plays as an individual if he gets done over good he will get retribution and give away penalties, no heart aswell ...
DROP - Elijah Taylor to the bench , he gets his stats up by being the third man in the tackle

And what do you know most these players have been bred and bled by Dean Bell so yes DROP Dean Bell .

DROP it DROP it low .......
This would be all good if you could name any players to replace half the team.

taika

Waterboy
Jul 30, 2012
This would be all good if you could name any players to replace half the team.
Can give it a go , but i was more saying who just aint NRL grade ..

Dane Neilson and Ropati back to centres ..yes I'll take Ropati he didnt let in that many tries like Conrad
I'd let Godinet take the helm over SJ, he had his hands on the ball alot more yestreday and would be hungry for it not 'self entitled' like the way SJ seems to be , andrew johns blew his head up bit too much unfortunately,
Luluwai will be other halve and even tho seems fukt up he is coming back ( he couldnt hack it first time) he has been recruited for the spot
Who to replace Russell P .. just a big prop who can run straight and hard from Vulcans or under 20's, Packer needs to just earn his spot he a bit like SJ , he seems to think he's all that but shit u aint got the kiwi international spot on lock
As for fullback - Fish or Carlos, hard working pre season required from both players to fight for it, Kevin needs to wrestle for this spot if he wants it back
Wing replacement for Tuyards - How bout RENE RANGER !! or another A class RU player just below the AB's , yes Rene would CARVE it up
MAnu's wing ... hmm could send Konrad there ( once he can tackle and catch and if we dont have another option) .. and time for Manu to be on the back row .. so could be Fisiahi ... or Locke back on the wing
The FB cant be mediocre too important that spot , so Fish if he stiffens up D could be that guy
ANd also , end of season time to sign up players and the new COACH.. Sheens might leave the Tigers...
Its alot of moving players around until we see who has trined hard in the preseason and how they fit into the coaches plan ...

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings