International Pacific Championship

Also, players who can play for different nations are quite obviously going to bring the question of: "If I go for Team A where I live and get picked, I could play against C, against D 2 times and against E and as for next year, D 2 times again and E 3 times whereas if I go for Team B where I was born they have proposed games against E and F this year and nothing planned for next year..." into the discussion

Makes things a bit mercernary, certainly, but NRL/Super League is where the money's at and if a player wants to be signed for one of the Big Boys, playing international games against the best nd being seen certainly helps.

Similar kind of logic that drives decisions as to which club a player wants to play for: "Will I have a chance to play finals?"
Interesting point.
What if samoa got a three game series against Australia, they all might wanna go play in that.
Or maybe the World Cup comes round and all the nz eligible players realize that if they worked together they could cream australia and be World Cup winners…

Bit precious arent we.

I remember all the "love" the likes of Tamou, Karmichael Hunt, Taumololo and probably many others got from us Kiwis.

Bit of human nature isnt it. Played Touch for Bay of Plenty at the nationals this year and a couple of Bay boys who live in Aussie turned us down to play for Auckland this year......man did we give them shit when we beat them and pretty much have been reminding them weekly.......still brothers tho

Funny no one mentions all the players with Maori and pakeha heritage who chose to play for samoa…
Asi, Arthur’s, hunt….
Let them play for whoever they want i reckon- they all have their reasons- who r we to judge.
I'm pretty sure some fans would of been screaming at them for not representing China & Germany too bro! Chinese would of been like - Ayooo! Fuck you Chan Kum Tong! For not choosing The China Dragons ! Or the Germans wondering why Josh Schuster isn't captain of The German Eagles....Jokes aside - Yeah, Asi , Arthars, Hunt, Luai , Palasia have Maori blood and have represented for Maori as well. Apart from the booing from the crowd which i found disrespectful. I don't have a probelm with them repping the smaller nations they have ties too. As long as they still show love to the country they were born in. I'm all good.

Im happy for the islands to have all their avaible and eligible talent, no complaint from me. But the ultimate goal is still to beat Aus. No matter what way you cut it up I dont think anyone is beating them consistently, their team will still be dominant even without haas and tino. but everyone else may be evened out a little more but the ultimate goal should be to see australias winning rate drop by at least 10% over the next 5 years, I dont know how tonga samoa or nz can do that.

I'm pretty sure some fans would of been screaming at them for not representing China & Germany too bro! Chinese would of been like - Ayooo! Fuck you Chan Kum Tong! For not choosing The China Dragons ! Or the Germans wondering why Josh Schuster isn't captain of The German Eagles....Jokes aside - Yeah, Asi , Arthars, Hunt, Luai , Palasia have Maori blood and have represented for Maori as well. Apart from the booing from the crowd which i found disrespectful. I don't have a probelm with them repping the smaller nations they have ties too. As long as they still show love to the country they were born in. I'm all good.
I heard they're pretty filthy up in Norway that Charnze didn't join the cross-country ski team.

Funny no one mentions all the players with Maori and pakeha heritage who chose to play for samoa…
Asi, Arthur’s, hunt….
Let them play for whoever they want i reckon- they all have their reasons- who r we to judge.
Totally, always want the islands to get the elite players but how can you begrudge players with Aussie/Kiwi blood.
Not even that, brought up in a country is enough, up to the player to make the call.
No less passion for representing your town and country you have lived most of your life.
Tell you what as well, some Samoa fans are so brutal to these chaps it’s not funny.

Imagine if all nz eligible players made the selves available for the kiwis.

Ponga
Mulitalo
Crichton
Manu
Holmes
Luai
Sj

Jfh
Smith
Afb
Nanai
Tapine
Harris

Hughes
Nas
Leota
Taumalolo

:eek:
Luai is so over rated don’t you agree

Luai is so over rated don’t you agree
I can’t decide :ROFLMAO:
On one hand- anyone would look good in that panthers team and they didn’t miss him when he went off in the gf.
On the other… he was great for samoa I. The World Cup and has played some good origin games…🤔
But yeah replace him with brown or Hughes if u like- that’s the sort of depth we would have.

It is pretty obvious eh.

They should play the Tonga Samoa Clash as the top game and NZ and Aus as the first game, show some progressive thinking and a nod to the new fans breathing life into this sport.
That would also help ensure the majority of the crowd doesn't leave after the first game.

I was at the game (Nz born Toa Samoa supporter) and yes, we booed the Samoan kiwis.

We booed F. Brown for choosing Kiwis over us.
We booed at Isaako scoring and going for conversions.
We booed at NAS scoring.
We booed at all the Samoan kiwis scoring and we may have gotten abit carried away and booed the haka also.
In the end we booed the rest of the kiwis because we were getting spanked.

But that's just us backing our boys.
That us as fans showing them we haven't given up on them and saying thank you for choosing Samoa. Even after that hiding majority of the Toa supporters stayed to say thanks to the team. Singing and dancing.
This is something you won't get playing for tier 1 nations and I hope it brings all our stars home.

I genuinely hope Toa Samoa get beat by 50 every game with fans like this.

I think booing the opposition is not great for the game or any game for that matter - disrespectful to all concerned, to the country, the family, the ancestors all concerned, if they were booing for something like dirty play I understand, but because they choose to play for their country of birth???. I understand the deep feeling because it is nation against nation, when they are on the paddock it's die for the jersey and for each other, in the trenches so to speak, prefer they simplify it, (KISS keep it simple stupid)i.e.
1) country where you're born is who you play for no other
2) no residency clause, get rid of it
3) create another comp just for teams made up of other ethnic groups i.e. Maori, Australian first nation, Tonga, Samoa, Niue etc, etc, 4) where you're brought up has no bearing on who you rep, rule, (you can't say I was brought up in nz but born in Niue and I want to play for the kiwi's - you can't
5) rule #1 takes precedence over all other rules.
apologies for the rant, but I want to barrack for the Kiwi's like back in the day totally hated King Wally and big Mal, could give it my all 100% then, now can't, don't know how long someone is going to play for the kiwi's before they change their mind, bit like first you're fighting on the side of the British and then you switch allegiance and then fight for the Germans!!! - that's how it feels - now I'm getting the vibe that maybe big Nelson may b looking at switching??? Just had a thought once you switch can they come back to Kiwi's, i think it really devalues the jersey and the country of that jersey stick with your first pick.