• Site may be down for a couple of mins. This notice will show up whilst work is ongoing.
  • During peak periods, this site will only be accessible to registered members of the site. Login or create an account to participate in the discussion.
Sarina Clark 2018 2.png

Player Sarina Clark

Full Name
Sarina Clark
Date of Birth
Nov 11, 1981
Birth Location
Auckland, New Zealand
Nationality
  1. 🇦🇺 Australia
Height (cm)
153 cm
Weight (kg)
69 kg
Position/s
  1. Fullback
  2. Centre
Warrior #
NRL Debut Date
Sep 8, 2018
NRL Debut Details
WNRL 2018, Round 1, Sydney Roosters v NZ Warriors
Warriors Debut Date
Sep 8, 2018
Warriors Debut Details
WNRL 2018, Round 1, Sydney Roosters v NZ Warriors
Warriors Years Active
  1. 2018
Signed From
Manurewa Marlins
Junior Club/s
Manurewa Marlins
Rep Honours
  1. NZ
  2. NZ Maori
Status
Retired
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarina_Clark
Rugby League Project
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/sarina-clark/summary.html

mt.wellington

Contributor

Sarina Clark (born Sarina Fiso; 11 November 1981) is a New Zealand rugby league footballer who played for the New Zealand Warriors in the NRL Women's Premiership.

Primarily a fullback, she is a former New Zealand representative captain.

Of Māori and Samoan descent, Clark first represented New Zealand in 2006 while playing for the Manurewa Marlins.

In 2008, she was a member of New Zealand's World Cup-winning side. In 2010, she was named the NZRL Women's Player of the Year. She won the award for a second time in 2016.

In 2013, Clark represented New Zealand at the 2013 Women's Rugby League World Cup, starting at fullback in their final loss to Australia. In 2017, Clark missed out on playing in her third World Cup due to pregnancy. On 13 September 2017, she was named the RLPA New Zealand Women's Player of the Year.

On 1 August 2018, Clark was named in the inaugural New Zealand Warriors NRL Women's Premiership squad. She played three game at centre in the 2018 NRL Women's season, scoring a try in the Warriors' 10–22 loss to the St George Illawarra Dragons.

On 21 January 2020, she was named on the wing in NRL.com's Women's Team of the Decade. On 22 February 2020, she started at halfback for the Māori All Stars in their 4–10 loss to the Indigenous All Stars.

NZWarriors.com

Warriors bolstered by Clark's remarkable return​

Steve Deane 09/08/2018
Kiwi Ferns legend and three-sport international Sarina Clark thought her league career was over when she became pregnant shortly before the 2017 world cup. Now, less than four months after giving birth, the mother-of-three is set to pull on a Warriors jersey. Steve Deane reports.

0uTo8bq2ltJfXkYokUg2-1-scaled.jpg
Sarina Clark evades a Jillaroos tackle during the 2017 Anzac Test. Photo: Getty Images

A routine trip to the dairy. That was the unlikely starting point for an adventure that would take Sarina Clark and a bunch of mates to places they’d never been, to witness sights they’d never seen, and do something no Kiwi women had ever done.

Back then, in 2013, Sarina Clark was Sarina Fiso, the Kiwi Ferns fullback rated as one of the finest female league players on the planet.

Clark and her mates were all pretty handy at rugby, league, touch and tag – pretty much anything that involved running and dodging, in fact. A local (yes, Indian) dairy owner figured they’d be pretty darn handy at Kabaddi.

He approached them about forming a team and having a crack at the Kabaddi world cup in India.

The tournament was in the footy off-season, so why the heck not, they thought?

“We coached ourselves by watching Youtube clips of Indians playing kabaddi,” Clark says. “We thought, ‘yeah that’s similar to bullrush, maybe we’ll give it a crack’.”

For the uninitiated, kabaddi is an Indian sport whose origins began roughly 4000 years ago. Played by teams of seven, the object of the game is for a single player on offence, referred to as a “raider”, to run into the opposing team’s half of a court, tag out as many of their defenders as possible, and return to their own half of the court, all without being tackled by the defenders.

To the untrained eye, it looks kind of crackers. But the core skills of tackling and evasion are very similar to those employed in the rugby codes.
At the 2013 world cup in the game’s Punjabi heartland, New Zealand fielded a team that included Clark and Kiwi Ferns team mates Rona Peters and Kathleen Wharton.

While there is an element of Cool Runnings in the tale, unlike the Jamaican bobsleigh team, the Kiwis were pretty darn good, finishing runners up to the peerless Indians in 2013 and making the final again a year later.

“It was similar to rugby and league, and we were pretty good at that. We transferred our skills,” Clark says.

The Indians were so impressed they later toured New Zealand for a five match test series.

Visiting India was eye-opening. A case manager for WINZ, Clark is no stranger to the concept of deprivation. India, though, was poverty on a whole new level.

‘It was quite overwhelming. You don’t see that level of poverty until you actually go there. It was a really good experience for me.”

On the sporting side, the kabaddi experience was another feather in a cap that includes a rugby league world cup victory in 2008, leading the Kiwi Ferns to successive series victories over the Jillaroos at the NRL Nines in 2015 and 2016, being named New Zealand’s finest female league player three times, and also representing her country at touch in 2009.

She was set to play for the Ferns in a third world cup in 2017 when life took a surprising turn. Six weeks before the tournament, she discovered she was pregnant with her third child – 15 years after giving birth to her first, daughter Dellwyn.

“We had been trying for some time and we just thought ‘if it happens it happens’,” she says. “We just didn’t think it would happen so soon.
“It was bittersweet news.”

‘We’ is Clark and husband Shaun, the current coach of the Howick Hornets. With the arrival of Johnson three and half months ago, the now 36-year-old Clark had figured that was that as far as her footy career went.

“I have seen so much happening around club footy because girls want to be a part of it now. They can see that there is actually a future for women’s rugby league now.”
– Sarina Clark

But, with Shaun coaching Howick and oldest son Luke heavily involved in the sport, league was never far away – and Clark quickly found she missed playing.

Two months after giving birth, she turned out for her Manurewa Wahine team.

“I found that hard,” she admits.

No kidding.

Tough as it was, it quickly dawned on her that returning to full fitness in time to turn out for the Warriors in the historic first season of the NRL women’s competition was feasible.

“Coming back to rugby league was never in the plan. To come back and try to get a contract, that was not my intention.

“I thought I would be terrible [in the club game], but I wasn’t. I thought ‘maybe I could have chance at playing it that competition’? Because it is a dream come true. It something that I never thought would happen.

“You’d hear talk that this and that might happen. But that has always been it – a might. So, to actually see it happen, it’s like ‘wow’.”

Clark is full of admiration for the way Australia has progressed the cause of women’s sports in recent times.

The country’s Olympic champion rugby sevens players are bona fide national stars, cricket’s Women’s Big Bash league has amassed huge TV ratings and AFL established a professional women’s competition in 2017.

Now rugby league has followed suit, introducing a pilot four-team competition to run concurrently with the NRL finals.

The concept is a massive step forward in a sport where the women’s game has long been treated as an afterthought. It’s also a sign of the women’s game’s burgeoning popularity and strength across the Tasman. Not all that long ago, the Australians were the Kiwi women’s whipping girls.

But, in 2013, the Jillaroos shocked the Kiwi Ferns to break their stranglehold on the world cup. The winds of change had begun to murmur.

With Clark leading the way, the Kiwi Ferns claimed the first two NRL Nines titles with 2-1 series victories in 2015 and 2016. But, in 2017, the worm turned well and truly, with the Jillaroos whipping the Kiwis 3-0 at Eden Park in the nines format, before going on to defend their world cup crown at Suncorp Stadium.

“They set the benchmark now,” Clark admits. “What they are doing over there is really great for women’s rugby league. We [in New Zealand] are slowly getting there. I’m super-stoked that the Warriors have jumped on board and we have got the chance to field an NRL team.

“I have seen so much happening around club footy because girls want to be a part of it now. They can see that there is actually a future for women’s rugby league now.”

Clark credits staying fit and active while pregnant with enabling her to return to the fold so quickly.

She continued to run until six and half months into her pregnancy, and was still taking hikes up Mangere Mountain the week before Johnson was born.
Even so: “It is probably the hardest thing I have done, to come back so soon after having baby,” she admits.

To put things in perspective – Clark this week contacted her bosses at Winz asking if she could extend her maternity leave to free up time to play for the Warriors. That is without doubt a first.

After a year full of surprises, there was still one more coming – with coach Luisa Avaiki informing the regular fullback she will be playing in the halves.
“That’s another new role for me,” she laughs. “It’s a huge challenge for me – and I’m really looking forward to it.”

She should get her first taste of action in a Warriors jersey tonight (Friday) when the team takes on an Auckland selection in the curtain-raiser for the Warriors men’s match against the Knights at Mt Smart Stadium.

Motherhood and jet lag no worries for Clark​

Kent Gray Fri 21 Sep 2018, 06:01 am
Sarina Clark 953.jpg

Feeling the pinch physically after just two trips to Sydney, Sarina Clark struggles to comprehend how recently retired Warriors workhorse Simon Mannering clocked up 301 NRL matches given the constant trans-Tasman hopping.

We're pretty sure the feeling would be mutual given Clark's own extraordinary journey to make the inaugural Holden Women's Premiership.

"I never pictured myself playing the NRL so soon after having my baby," the 36-year-old Kiwi Ferns fullback turned Warriors centre said after welcoming her third son, Johnson, to the world in April.

Yes, that's five short months ago. It suddenly makes a big burly Telstra Premiership forward soldiering up with a niggling calf strain or the like not seem such a big deal anymore.

"I didn't think I'd be physically capable of returning so early so I'm just taking it one game at a time."

After back-to-back trips to ANZ Stadium in the past fortnight, the first after an unscheduled diversion via Brisbane, one game at a time is enough. Clark is not sure whether jet lag, a general lack of sleep or a "baby who has a lot of energy as well" is to blame for her current malaise and agrees it's probably a little bit of all of the above.

What she is certain about is that the travel makes an already physical Holden Women's Premiership "tough work" – and that she is loving every single tiring minute of it.

"There are girls I've never played against but they're bloody good. This shows there's a lot of depth out there and that's exciting to see. I think women's rugby league is in great hands. I'm loving it."

So much so, she says it's a case of never say never when it comes to a return to the Kiwi Ferns jumper for October's Test against the Jillaroos in Auckland.

The Mt Smart Stadium international is a much-anticipated replay of the 2017 World Cup final, the culmination of a tournament Clark missed due to her pregnancy. She hasn't discussed adding to her 10 seasons in the black jersey with new Kiwi Ferns coach Kelvin Wright but hasn't ruled it out either.

"I'm not sure. At this stage I'm really focused on the NRL but if I do play well enough... maybe."

Clark played well enough in last Saturday's 22-10 loss to St George Illawarra to be the only Warriors player selected in NRL.com's Team of the Week, a late try, 14 carries for 128 metres – including 35 post-contact metres – and four tackle busts a beacon in the losing effort.

Warriors fans needn't fret about Clark or her Warriors teammates being up for Friday night's clash against the table-topping Brisbane Broncos either, despite the short turnaround after the Dragons loss or a third successive trans-Tasman hop to Melbourne.

The Warriors must win to reach the NRL's inaugural women's grand final otherwise the winner of Saturday's Roosters-Dragons match at Allianz Stadium will earn that coveted right.

Clark is confident the Auckland club can rebound from the four tries to two loss to the Dragons but only if they continue to front up defensively and offer a little "polish" on attack after scoring just 10 points in each of their first two matches.

"We analysed the video on Monday night and I thought we'd played quite badly against the St George but looking back we created enough opportunities," Clark said.

"The Dragons made a couple of try-saving tackles, we had a couple of tries disallowed [for failing to ground the ball over the line], so yeah...we've got to make sure we nail them on the head this weekend because it is going to be tough.

"The Broncos are looking very good and are favourites now. But the girls have been preparing very well, they know a lot of their [Brisbane's] girls so hopefully that's a little advantage.

"We've just got to stay in the grind in those pressure situations. It's something we didn't do so well against the Dragons but it really depends on how we go in those key moments, keep in it and make good decisions under pressure because I think it is an evenly spread competition. It's really on the day."

Manurewa celebrate Sarina Clark, 10 years of wāhine rugby league
Sarina Clark 963.jpg

Earlier this month, the Manurewa Marlins took the time to come together at the club the celebrate the past ten years of wāhine rugby league at the club, which was capped off by their historic 2022 season winning both the Farrelly Photos Women's Premiership and Championship competition.

The night kicked off with a year-by-year history of Women’s rugby league from the year 2012 through until 2022 (outlined below). Throughout the night, a common theme for success emerged, and that was having simple values, something that coach Rusty Matua, and the players reiterated.

The club celebrated those players who had an impact on the club over the years by inducting them into their Hall of Fame. Overall, there were eight players inducted, with Krystal Rota, Kelly Maipi, Amber Kani and Sarina Clark attending on the night. Rounding out the inductees were Geneva Webber, Kimiora Breayley-Nati, Lousia Gago, and Nora Maaka.

The club also took the time to acknowledge those who played a part in the Rugby League World Cup. Manurewa had a strong presence throughout the Kiwi Ferns and Cook Islands sides at the Women’s World Cup, with plenty of strong performances across the tournament.

Krystal Rota captained the Kiwi Ferns and former Manurewa player Kimiora Breayley-Nati co-captained the Cook Island team. Other current players that took part were Christyl Stowers & Kat Wira-Kohu (injured) with Kiwi Ferns and the trio of young Marlins Kerehitina Matua, Tere Matua & Mackenzie Wiki representing the Cook Islands. The Cook Islands side were coached by Rusty Matua.

The night wrapped up with a surprise acknowledgement of Sarina Clark’s outstanding career in rugby league. Sarina reflected on her career and the impact that rugby league has had on her. “Get involved with rugby league and it will take you places. It’s not just a game, it’s more than that. It’s family, it’s fun, it’s inspiration, and being able to lead for the next generation.”

Sarina has been with the club since 2012, after spending earlier years with the Papakura Sea Eagles. “I loved playing for Papakura. I loved who they were, and I loved what they were all about. But I lived in Manurewa, I went to school in Manurewa, I grew up in Manurewa. I knew this was where I belonged and needed to be going forward.”

Sarina has achieved a lot throughout her career as an Auckland, Māori, and New Zealand representative. Kiwi Fern #78, Sarina took part in the 2008 and 2013 Rugby League World Cups, which the Kiwi Ferns won in a dominant fashion in 2008 and Clark was vice-captain for 2013. Sarina claimed NZ Women’s Player of the Year honours 2010, 2013 and 2016.

Sarina was a Counties Stingrays representative from 2010-17, picking up the National Tournament MVP in 2010 and 2016, and National Tournament Back of the tournament in 2015. In more recent years, Sarina won overall Club Player of the Year for Manurewa (2016) and made the inaugural NZ Warriors NRLW squad (2018) and Māori All Stars team (2020).

Sarina Clark 633.jpg

10 YEARS OF MANUREWA WĀHINE RUGBY LEAGUE

2012-13 – Establishing the foundation

The current team was established in 2012, when Rusty and Karla Matua came over from Papakura and brought with them four players, including Sarina Clark (nee Fiso) who was the only Kiwi Fern on the team. In the first two seasons, the Marlins showed promise coming third in both years, and increasing to four Kiwi Fern representatives.

2014 – Building momentum
The tide began to turn in 2014, as Manurewa began to be seen as a threat in the Women’s Premiership. That season, they took out the minor Premiership, made the Grand Final after beating Richmond, and became heartbreakingly close to their first title. The Grand Final was played against rivals, Papakura, and was decided in double-overtime by a penalty kick. That season saw Rusty named as the Kiwi Ferns coach, along with six players for the Manurewa squad, as well as strong representation in that year’s Auckland Invitational side.

2015 – Maiden championship
In 2015, the Manurewa Marlins and women’s rugby league took strides, starting with the Kiwi Ferns playing Australia in the NRL Auckland Nines, where they got the series win. Krystal Rota re-joined her first club, and the side came up once again against Papakura in the Grand Final, where they were triumphant 46-24. The Manurewa Marlins had established themselves as a champion and will be a force throughout the competition for years to come.

2016-18 – Successful three years
2016 brought new challenges, once again facing their South Auckland rivals in the final but lost Sarina Clark to injury in the semi-final and ultimately falling at the final hurdle. The heartbreak set up for a strong two years to follow, going back-to-back in 2017-18 Farrelly Photos Premiership beating Richmond both times and going undefeated throughout 2018.

2019-2021 – Rebuild and development
Following success at the top level, 2019 brought a rebuild year as a few key players left the club for a season, resulting in the team finishing third. Rusty was announced as the coach of the first Māori All Stars, which they won, and Krystal Rota took home the MVP Award. In 2020, competition was interrupted and cancelled due to the arrival of the coronavirus. In 2021, the Women’s Farrelly Photos Premiership competition was the only Auckland Rugby League competition to reach completion, although Manurewa lost a few key players to the NRLW. A strong new rival in Pt Chevalier won their maiden title with a 22-16 Grand Final win. 2021 was the first season that the club ran the two Premier teams of Whero and Kowhai.

Sarina Clark 323.jpg

2022 – Historic double
Manurewa Wāhine had a slow start to the season, struggling to field the two teams in the top grades with many players taking part in the NRLW and their young players falling in the tough NZRL Women’s tournament final to Akarana during the pre-season. As the season went on, both Manurewa sides built momentum as the season went on to reach Grand Final day on Mt Smart #2.

The Manurewa Whero found themselves coming up against Manukau after taking down a strong Marist Saints outfit in the Farrelly Photos Championship semi-finals. The Whero got off to a hot start, building a three try lead, before the Magpies woke up and made a game of it. Stand out performer Peaches Peters, who already had a double, got herself two more to push the game out of reach and secure the first trophy of the day for the Manurewa Wāhine.

An instant classic followed, as close rivals Manurewa and Pt Chevalier faced off in a rematch of the previous year’s Final. The two teams were inseparable in the first half heading to the break with nil-all score line. Pt Chevalier eventually crossed first, but from there it was all one-way traffic as Christyl Stowers, Kat Wira-Kohu and Kerehitina Matua crossing for three consecutive tries.

That put the game out of reach as Manurewa Wāhine made history taking out the Farrelly Photos Women’s Championship and Premiership grades. Kerehitina Matua received the Juanita Hall Finals MVP awards for her Grand Final performance.

Article added: Tuesday 20 December 2022

NZWarriors.com
Advertisement
If you would like to remove these advertisements, please do so by registering a free account