Player Sam Tomkins

Dog fans would take any decent fullback at the moment. Ofcourse they would be excited that Tomkins is in the NRL as it means that a NRL first grade fullback may be cut loose in order to get a starting spot with them haha. Titans fans are some of the best fans in the NRL (1. they hate the broncos 2. they are passionate about a team that does not get much coverage in the state considering its so close to Brisbane). Didnt Zillman threaten to walk out or had to be reassured he would be FB when they were linked to Tomkins?

Not much frenzy in the local papers here about the best player in ESL coming to the NRL unfortunately. A lot of old and wise Wigan fans have stated he is the best player they have ever seen. If he can be half of what people have said about him i would be happy though cautious not to expect too much too early on.
Maybe they are all excited that none of them had to pay such a heavy transfer fee, and that in three years time he will be back up for grabs without that fee hanging over anyones head, I wished they had signed him for at least 4years after paying such a heavy fee.

Maybe they are all excited that none of them had to pay such a heavy transfer fee, and that in three years time he will be back up for grabs without that fee hanging over anyones head, I wished they had signed him for at least 4years after paying such a heavy fee.
Are you worried about Eric and Owens retirement plan bro ?

The transfer fee has nothing to do with the Salary cap , it comes straight out of Owen and Ericks Pockets.

Four years in a way would be a bit like Wigan signing Tomkins for five years......unlikely to stay that long anywhere,

Reactions: surfin

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Are you worried about Eric and Owens retirement plan bro ?

The transfer fee has nothing to do with the Salary cap , it comes straight out of Owen and Ericks Pockets.

Four years in a way would be a bit like Wigan signing Tomkins for five years......unlikely to stay that long anywhere,
I think its a smart financial investment. If Tomkins does indeed turn out to be the messiah both Eric and Owen will make their money back in spades. Also, lets not forget the Warriors made a $24 million dollar profit this financial year...

The NRL is stripping the ESL faster and faster.

I think the next two years will be really bad with us struggling to keep anyone half decent (from and ESL perspective not just a Wigan perspective), then I suspect it will die off a bit and it will just be the very best that get go. The problem the whole ESL now faces is to not appear as a feeder competition to the NRL. Although that might be better than the UK media portray us as the moment, a feeder league for RU.

I suspect Josh Charnley will be heading south in the not distant future as well.

I think the next two years will be really bad with us struggling to keep anyone half decent (from and ESL perspective not just a Wigan perspective), then I suspect it will die off a bit and it will just be the very best that get go. The problem the whole ESL now faces is to not appear as a feeder competition to the NRL. Although that might be better than the UK media portray us as the moment, a feeder league for RU.

I suspect Josh Charnley will be heading south in the not distant future as well.
huge losses.

I don't know how our club would sustain two losses of that Magnitude / experience and class....wooden spoon here we come in the NRL you can't survive losing your two top try scorers and a bunch of your senior squad.

I hope some decent Warriors go to Wigan I really do , we might not be bale to hold them all , rate that we are having to let go some real quality young guns is going to be on the increase due to cap pressure.

Reactions: Raurimu Massive
huge losses.

I don't know how our club would sustain two losses of that Magnitude / experience and class....wooden spoon here we come in the NRL you can't survive losing your two top try scorers and a bunch of your senior squad.

I hope some decent Warriors go to Wigan I really do , we might not be bale to hold them all , rate that we are having to let go some real quality young guns is going to be on the increase due to cap pressure.

I think its a sad indication of the state of many clubs in SLE that having last year lost, Finch, Leuluai, Carmont, and Hock we are still in the top 4, cup winners and still in with a shout at the GF. That said losing Tomkins, Pat, and Moose this year I'm not sure we can keep it up. You can only get so many quality players per year from your junior ranks.

Reactions: Raurimu Massive

tajhay

🏉
I think its a smart financial investment. If Tomkins does indeed turn out to be the messiah both Eric and Owen will make their money back in spades. Also, lets not forget the Warriors made a $24 million dollar profit this financial year...
Nice! Is there a history of the profit/loss for the club somewhere? Surely has to be largest profit for the club for some time/ever right?

Reactions: mt.wellington
I think its a sad indication of the state of many clubs in SLE that having last year lost, Finch, Leuluai, Carmont, and Hock we are still in the top 4, cup winners and still in with a shout at the GF. That said losing Tomkins, Pat, and Moose this year I'm not sure we can keep it up. You can only get so many quality players per year from your junior ranks.

How do you rate your chances V leeds ? I'm really hoping they show it here this weekend.

What kind of threat do Leeds pose to Wigan ?

How do you rate your chances V leeds ? I'm really hoping they show it here this weekend.

What kind of threat do Leeds pose to Wigan ?

If I'm honest I don't think we'll win this weekend. I hope I'm wrong, and it may hinge on how the players take to the news of Tomkins departure (though I suspect they've known for a while!)

Leeds have several excellent players, Ryan Hall is a world class winger, and I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up by an NRL club (somehow Leeds have managed to keep their top level playing roster in tacked through raids by union and now the NRL, I'm not saying they are cheating the cap here... I think its down to good management), Sinfield is an excellent organiser and positional kicker, Burrows will always be a threat around dummy half, especially while referees ignore the line in the high tackle rules about it not being a high tackle if a player ducks in to a challenge (which is why he's been so ineffective at international level), while Peacock is an almost talismanic prop, and Maguire is always there to mop up any half break.

Some people are saying that having the week off will benefit Wigan, but I've never seen it like that. Last week Leeds came through a really tough match against Saints, and the best prep for a tough match is a tough match. We might have slightly more stamina because of that, but I think we also might be a bit rusty and off pace for the first 20 mins or so. One thing we don't want is to be chasing the game and relying on Leeds running out of steam. If they get their noses in front, Leeds are excellent at locking a game out.

Currently without O'Loughlin we miss our third pivot and an absolute tackling engine in the middle of the park. Fuzzy (Goulding) hasn't had much game time recently either and centre has become something of a problem position for us. That said, we played very well against Huddersfield, and if we take that momentum and belief with us, pressure Sinfield,restrict his kicking game and dominate the ruck we're definitely still in with a chance of getting to the GF

Wow. If they're making that much from an average year like this, they can easily afford to buy Mt Smart outright! Awesome...

Reactions: janfin
If I'm honest I don't think we'll win this weekend. I hope I'm wrong, and it may hinge on how the players take to the news of Tomkins departure (though I suspect they've known for a while!)

Leeds have several excellent players, Ryan Hall is a world class winger, and I'm surprised he hasn't been snapped up by an NRL club (somehow Leeds have managed to keep their top level playing roster in tacked through raids by union and now the NRL, I'm not saying they are cheating the cap here... I think its down to good management), Sinfield is an excellent organiser and positional kicker, Burrows will always be a threat around dummy half, especially while referees ignore the line in the high tackle rules about it not being a high tackle if a player ducks in to a challenge (which is why he's been so ineffective at international level), while Peacock is an almost talismanic prop, and Maguire is always there to mop up any half break.

Some people are saying that having the week off will benefit Wigan, but I've never seen it like that. Last week Leeds came through a really tough match against Saints, and the best prep for a tough match is a tough match. We might have slightly more stamina because of that, but I think we also might be a bit rusty and off pace for the first 20 mins or so. One thing we don't want is to be chasing the game and relying on Leeds running out of steam. If they get their noses in front, Leeds are excellent at locking a game out.

Currently without O'Loughlin we miss our third pivot and an absolute tackling engine in the middle of the park. Fuzzy (Goulding) hasn't had much game time recently either and centre has become something of a problem position for us. That said, we played very well against Huddersfield, and if we take that momentum and belief with us, pressure Sinfield,restrict his kicking game and dominate the ruck we're definitely still in with a chance of getting to the GF
Awesome run down man thanks !

Can't wait , you know your footy , I'll be cheering the Warriors team that made a final this weekend ~

Reactions: RidingPie and edd
Tomkins a gamble-Freddy Fitler..LOL

Rugby league great Brad Fittler says the New Zealand Warriors are taking a massive risk forking out a reported $750,000 a season on English fullback Sam Tomkins for the next three years.

Fittler told SportsFan's Clubhouse that the Warriors' style of play may suit Tomkins, but that he was unproven in big games and may not have the size to perform in the NRL.

"I have seen him (Tomkins) in some internationals and he has had no impact," Fittler said. "He looks light.

"I have seen some highlights of him and he looks very agile and swift through the middle and he is a great supporter, so you can see why the Warriors chased him.

"He will really complement their forward pack, because they have good off-loaders, they play off the cuff a little bit, which really suits English players."

Fittler said the signing of Tomkins would inevitably mean the Warriors current fullback Kevin Locke would seek greener pastures, but suggested they would probably retain the service of Glen Fisiiahi.

"Locke has only ever played fullback, so there is a good chance he will look for another club and that will come out in the near future," Fittler said.

"Fisiiahi can play on the wing or in the centres as well as fullback, so he is quite versatile."
The way Freddie is describing ST, he could almost be talking about one William Slater Esquire (as Ray Rabbs Warren labelled him)
I'm sure Billy was/ is the same, with less ball skills (IMO from what I've seen of ST) and simply a better understanding with his halves/hooker.....which will come in time for us (ST) in time (maybe already with TL).....

Reactions: Sup42
Now we just need a big monster forward to complement our strengths. What about Sam Kasiano? There are persistent rumours that he was unhappy at the Dogs predominantly due to the Barba factor. Kasiano, Matulino would be a beastly combo.

Reactions: Harlz and Hitman82
You Wigan fans are more then welcome around here. :)

Just be warned us NZers are bad losers, which reminds me I've got to get in line with everyone else to burn an Americas Cup yacht and lynch a couple of sailors.;)

Seriously though with our hot and cold team we pretty much have to be honest with the teams talent and obvious flaws; as long as each discussion is not all sack the coach I can live with that.

What the fuck is this Tomkins no international impact shite. Did I imagine the 2011 Four Nations where he cut up Australia on several occasions? Fair enough he's been a bit shit in internationals before that, but I distinctly remember him being very threatening throughout the '11 campaign. Made a couple of massive breaks against the Kangaroos.

Or, I dreamed it all.

I think there are several people that watch league games with both eyes closed, or they make a comment about lack of impact but if you asked them how many games they watched they admit to only watching highlight packages. Guys like Fittler will never give credit as it means they are better players than their own out there and that would never do. Tomkins is a stunning talent and short of breaking both his legs he will prove it.