General Salary Cap and Ali, Vinnie, Stacey, PJ, and Feka

David James_old

Could this salary cap debacle further explain the departure of these key players?

It adds to reasons for them to leave (to stay under the cap).

It seems it certainly would have helped.

mosh_old

I think Ali was let go because he didnt agree to play Union for Mick Watsons satanic Pacifica side.

David James_old

His 200-300k (assumed) would have helped ease pressure if we were over the cap in 04 as well though.

mosh_old

I really wonder how we could have gone over the cap in 2004 though because we really didnt have a squad of players that would even come close to matching the 2004 Sydney Roosters team:

-Minichello
-Fittler
-Fitzgibbon
-Wing
-Morley

Atleast in 2005 we can atleast say that Price and Wiki are some big names that would get us over the cap, but in 2004 it would be very hard to go over unless you were paying players too much for what they were worth.

David James_old

Well I guess in 04 we had

Jones
PJ
Ali
Tookey
Seuseu

The first 3 would prob take up the first mill alone.

I don't know how the roosters stay under the cap, if they even do.

arkon_old

lets be honest

the salary cap is a total rort

theres no way the roosters could stay under it and theres no way they could attract even more top line players to their already swollen ranks of tv commercial superstars

didnt souths basically say this when they couldnt get braith anasta ? and they were cashed up and ready to spend
________
VTR1000

Last edited by a moderator:

KeepingTheFaith_old

At the beginning of the 2004 season the Warriors were premiership favourites. Guys like Hohaia, Marsh, Webb, Ali, Jones etc had recently signed new contracts that were more than likely upgraded. We'd gotten to the grand final in 2002 and come close in 2003. Perhaps Warriors management could see they were onto a good thing and went the wrong way about keeping the bulk of the side together.

warriors4life_old

i have trouble seeing us go over the cap when the calibre of players shouldn't force us to. some players are definitely being paid more than they are worth.

da mad maori

No more swearing !! Actually no more ROOSTERS.

No use looking for reasons elsewhere.
This is OUR problem.
We'll handle it and move on

Old Maori saying.....
Every bad season, is one season closer to a PREMIERSHIP.

[hmmmm I like that one] !!!