General Ryan Hoffman Captaincy Thread

Is Ryan Hoffman the right captain for the team?

• Yes

• No suitable replacement

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Matulino's Left Shoulder

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 22, 2012
The fuck?

Wow.

Well, Hoffman, you'd better be happy with the club now, buddy. Anymore talk of you wanting out, whilst being our captain, will seriously fuck us, so get your shit together.

Thanks for the years as Capt. Simon; they weren't necessarily filled with the success we'd all have liked, but no one can question your commitment, work ethic and stoicism on the field - a true leader in that respect. Hopefully this change brings the best out of you, as it was plain to see on your face that the off the field duties wore on you.

SOURCE ???

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
First time I think the club has got something seriously wrong in their major decision-making for quite some time. Mannering is, hands-down my first choice, but if he doesn't want the job fair enough - they have to appoint someone. Hoffman is a stop-gap measure at best however. He is a true pro and will bust his ass for the team but I would much prefer Johnson to take over now.
Luke can assist and fill in but there comes a great responsibility as club captain that goes beyond steering the team around the park. Johnson ticks all of those boxes.
Reckon they have this one wrong.

Reactions: Warrior482

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
It should never have been taken of Pricey, never! But Simon did his best and will be one of the Warriors greats
Are you kidding? There would have been a player strike had Price retained the captaincy. Take my word on this - I had it first hand from numerous players - they did not rate nor want Price as captain. Everyone might deny it publicly but have you ever wondered why Pricey has never really had a significant role with the club since he retired? He aint all that popular in-house.
Having said that - I actually like the bloke and have always enjoyed talking and listening to him about the sport.

Reactions: Juju and Johnnyray

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
First time I think the club has got something seriously wrong in their major decision-making for quite some time. Mannering is, hands-down my first choice, but if he doesn't want the job fair enough - they have to appoint someone. Hoffman is a stop-gap measure at best however. He is a true pro and will bust his ass for the team but I would much prefer Johnson to take over now.
Luke can assist and fill in but there comes a great responsibility as club captain that goes beyond steering the team around the park. Johnson ticks all of those boxes.
Reckon they have this one wrong.

I would prefer Shaun Johnson concentrate on his game at this point. There's time enough for him to become captain.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Im sure the club would not have given the captaincy to Hoffman if indeed he wanted out at the club. I cant see Doyle and Cappy doing that.

Everyone faces issues at their work, and if the rumour is indeed true and the club knew he wanted out im sure they would have considered giving it to Luke, Shaun Johnson or Matulino etc, considering they are signed up at the club for longer as well. There must be a reason why Hoffman got the nod, and i bet its because he is if not one of the best model professionals for our young kids to learn from on how to be a professional athlete.

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
Why for a year? What good comes of someone holding a job like that for a year when the next bloke is sitting their waiting??

Technically the Hoff has 2 years remaining on his contract.

Personally I'd prefer a captain comes into that role once they feel they're as prepared as they're ever going to be, if we are indeed referring to Shaun Johnson. I'm not keen on a Stephen Fleming scenario where you just hand it to them earlier than you would like because you don't feel anyone else is capable.

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Awesome. As much as we will all miss Mannering as Captain and have nothing but praise for him, for what he's done for our club, I couldn't be happier with Hoffman being his replacement. Raw, smart, emotional, he has all elements that you would want in club captain. Remember this is a man who after losing to Broncos in 2006 Grand Final sat in middle of field in front of everybody and just cried his heart out, haters be damn. If he as our Captain this season can instil those same sort of die hard passions into our players then I don't think we will doing same as him come October ...:)

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Club seems to have gone into lockdown - led by JD.... through a contact much closer to the club than me, I tried to find out what the word is either in the office or in the squad.... no one is saying anything.

Hopefully MtW will be able to have a quiet word with some of his guys and find out.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
Surely Sky have to televise the game now it's Mannering's last game as captain!

Thanks for your service as captain Mannering, stepped up when needed, the role may not have suited you to a tee, but fingers crossed he starts to enjoy the game more now!

Be interesting if the referees show a bit more respect to Hoffman than Mannering...

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
I don't see how another year is going to make Shaun Johnson "ready". I just don't buy into that kinda line. Whoever is the best candidate should get it. I hope the Warriors feel Hoffman is the best candidate rather than thinking too much about it all.
Fleming turned into probably our greatest ever captain. Mannering (in my opinion at least) was thrust into the role early as well and became the club's best captain. You're ready when you are the best option. If Hoffman is the best candidate then fair play - I will disagree with them but will at least accept their reasoning. But if he has been given the job because Shaun Johnson isn't quite 'ready' then it could seriously backfire.
The different background Hoffman has to the majority of the squad can fast become an issue when he starts throwing his weight around (as a captain should). It didn't work out too well for Price when he did it.

Reactions: OMG

Hitman82

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Wellington
Hoffman + Luke should do us well. I visualise both doing a better job in communicating with officials without negative personal performance impact. Also, I sometimes feel we should move to more of the leader/leader model which is pretty popular in business these days.

Otto Sump

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2015
Whether your for or against this change, and I feel you can probably make valid arguments for Manners, Hoff or Bully. It is the timing that I'm the most dissapointed with, I mean 2 - 3 weeks out from the start of the season to my mind is not the most ideal I for one would like to have this stuff sorted early in the preseason to give it time to bed down. They could still give manners a last hurrah in Nelson.

Play The Ball

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
This sounds like I'm criticising Hoffman and that's not at all what I'm trying to do. He is a fine player, a good leader (doesn't have to be a captain) and an important part of the roster. I just would have selected Johnson ahead of him.

Reactions: Jay M

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Also, I sometimes feel we should move to more of the leader/leader model which is pretty popular in business these days.

Might have to explain that one, certainly Hoffman gets a lot more support around him (from the boss, through a more experienced / diverse squad this year) than what Simon has had recently.

Reactions: Hitman82

Otto Sump

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2015
The different background Hoffman has to the majority of the squad can fast become an issue when he starts throwing his weight around (as a captain should). It didn't work out too well for Price when he did it.[/QUOTE]

For those of us new to the forum or not in the know what was the deal with the Steve Price – team dynamics

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings