General Ryan Hoffman Captaincy Thread

Is Ryan Hoffman the right captain for the team?

• Yes

• No suitable replacement

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/02/17/nelson_game_mannerin.html

Simon Mannering will lead the Vodafone Warriors for the last time in his home town Nelson after today announcing he is standing down following six seasons as the club’s captain.

First appointed for the 2010 NRL campaign, the 29-year-old 236-game veteran said he had indicated to head coach Andrew McFadden last month that he wished to move aside to fully focus on his contribution as a player.

Mannering told his team-mates of his decision today.

“That wasn’t easy because the players and the club mean so much to me but I’ve been thinking about this throughout the offseason,” he said.

“While it has been a massive honour being captain, I wasn’t enjoying my football and felt the responsibilities of the captaincy were a big factor in that.

“I told Cappy and (managing director) Jim (Doyle) that I thought it would be best for me and therefore best for the team if I was able to focus solely on my job as a player.

“They asked me to reconsider but my mind was made up and, to be honest, it’s a relief. It has taken a big weight off me.”

After leading the Vodafone Warriors a record 136 times, Mannering’s captaincy farewell coincides with his first-ever game for the club in Nelson in Saturday’s Mike Pero ‘Battle of Trafalgar’ against St George Illawarra (5.00pm kick-off).

“Our preference was for Simon to continue as our captain again this season,” said McFadden.

“This is all about Simon, though. We totally respect this decision. After playing 236 games for the club, being our captain for six seasons and our player of the year four times, he has earned the right to make this call.”

McFadden confirmed 32-year-old Ryan Hoffman, the club’s most experienced player with 263 NRL appearances, as the new captain.

“He is an obvious replacement for Simon, a natural leader who brings all the qualities we want, one who plays for 80 minutes, is durable and has a fiercely competitive attitude,” he said.

“He has the respect and support of the players.”

Hoffman, who joined the Vodafone Warriors from Melbourne last season, said being made the club’s captain was one the biggest highlights of his career.

“It’s a huge honour and I’m totally humbled to be offered the job,” he said.

“It's a brave decision Simon has made. He’s a terrific leader and player and I know he’ll still be there as usual doing everything he can to help the team.”

McFadden encouraged the public to give Mannering a memorable homecoming when he leads the Vodafone Warriors for the last time on Saturday.

“He’s a great player and a great leader, the ultimate case of a captain who leads by example,” he said.

“We’re looking forward to the people from the Nelson region giving one of their favourite sons a really special welcome. He certainly deserves it.”

The Vodafone Warriors arrive in Nelson on Thursday for their second and final trial before beginning the NRL season against Wests Tigers on Saturday, March 5.

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
McFadden confirmed 32-year-old Ryan Hoffman, the club’s most experienced player with 263 NRL appearances, as the new captain.

“He is an obvious replacement for Simon, a natural leader who brings all the qualities we want, one who plays for 80 minutes, is durable and has a fiercely competitive attitude,” he said.

“He has the respect and support of the players.”

Hoffman, who joined the Vodafone Warriors from Melbourne last season, said being made the club’s captain was one the biggest highlights of his career.

“It’s a huge honour and I’m totally humbled to be offered the job,” he said.

“It’s a brave decision Simon has made. He’s a terrific leader and player and I know he’ll still be there as usual doing everything he can to help the team.”

I certainly hope this puts to bed all the Hoffman rumours.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
WOW is right.

I'm pleased for Simon.

He's suffered enough, go back to enjoying your footy.

Congratulations Ryan Hoffman.

Good choice of replacement, in times gone by it would have gone to a mandatory Kiwi so that would be Shaun Johnson or Luke.

Hoffman can carry the pressure.....the rest can get on with playing.

Expect Hoffmans game to go up a gear.

Danpatmac

this is similar to the flag debate...

I'm no fan of the current flag and I would be totally in favour of changing it to another, better option that makes logical sense.

The one we have been offered is not to my taste.

I don't have faith in Mannering's captaincy and wanted him replaced (I admire him hugely as a player)
However, I really don't like the offered replacement.

Hoffman is a first choice player, no brainer there for me... be he is probably not here next year and there are rumours of him being unhappy here.

I'm underwhelmed.

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
I'm not that surprised really, he is a great player but does lack that "X" factor required as a captain.
Good on him for being man enough to recognise that someone else may be the saviour needed to get us that elusive premiership.
Well done Simon that is a true sportsman and thinking more of the team than yourself makes you that much more special.

Reactions: ramps

phil.kingston

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 15, 2013
Mannering stepping down isnt a surprise.....but Hoffman being made one is aye...particularly with rumours of him not being happy here. Wouldnt Luke be a good replacement? I know he hast played for us yet...but the guys cant seem to stop singing his praises and with him being the kiwi captain last year too...thought he might be the logical choice....

I wonder how the guys respond to Hoffman...

Reactions: OMG

kiwi's 13-6

Mannering lead by example but many either couldnt or wouldnt follow that example both individually or as a team! Also think communication is not his strong point as comes across as a guy of few words. Think he will be happy he dosnt have to do all the media PR stuff anymore that comes with the role. Good that he gets to lead team one last time as captain in his home town to say good bye to the role. Also wonder who's vice captain Johnson, Luke & maybe utility leuluai only names that come to mind.

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
Hoffman is a first choice player, no brainer there for me... be he is probably not here next year and there are rumours of him being unhappy here.

I'm underwhelmed.

I guess it depends on the reasons he's unhappy here. If he hates Auckland weather then he'll be unhappy regardless, if he's unhappy because he thinks some of his team-mates are not held to the same standard as others and a somewhat lacklustre culture exists...then captaincy might kill two birds with one stone.

Danpatmac

I guess it depends on the reasons he's unhappy here. If he hates Auckland weather then he'll be unhappy regardless, if he's unhappy because he thinks some of his team-mates are not held to the same standard as others and a somewhat lacklustre culture exists...then captaincy might kill two birds with one stone.

True.

If he uses this platform to try and impose himself and his values on the serial underperformers then you have to admire that...

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
True.

If he uses this platform to try and impose himself and his values on the serial underperformers then you have to admire that...

He's got nothing to lose. And if you have a disgruntled senior player then what better way to get them onside by empowering them to make some changes. I think it's a fairly good move. Hoffman has no background or loyalties to any players or player groups within the squad. He's the most experienced and the most successful player at the club. He won't give a shit if Konrad goes home and has a bitch/cry because he's been told by the Hoff to STFU and train/play harder.

Other options? Shaun Johnson and Luke are the obvious ones I suppose. I'm not keen to heap even more pressure on Shaun Johnson, he knows he's central to our success and happy to leave captaincy out of the equation for the meantime. Luke is new to the club, and is prone to some absolute brain snaps....would prefer he was part of the leadership group rather than the head of it.

Fenderboy

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Just look at the games played at the end of last year. Hoffman and Johnson are doing all the talking behind the goal line. Im all for this change. There wont be any passengers out on the field with The Hoff running the show.He will be far more demanding of the refs as well. Mannering is and will continue to be one of the first picked for the side and with the weight of the captaincy off his shoulders may even go to greater heights.

kiwi's 13-6

Hoffmans better communicator than mannering and hopefully he can give the news straight and fair to those not pulling weight on & off the field... non of this ill just work harder on the field to set an example... when in reality just doing the work someones else job to do while they coast along getting mannering to cover them its just not working. Hope Hoffman can get everyone doing there jobs to high level and for us to work together as a team!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sup42

Matulino's Left Shoulder

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 22, 2012
this is similar to the flag debate...

I'm no fan of the current flag and I would be totally in favour of changing it to another, better option that makes logical sense.

The one we have been offered is not to my taste.

I don't have faith in Mannering's captaincy and wanted him replaced (I admire him hugely as a player)
However, I really don't like the offered replacement.

I'm underwhelmed.

Can I get a source to his unhappiness?

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
The fuck?

Wow.

Well, Hoffman, you'd better be happy with the club now, buddy. Anymore talk of you wanting out, whilst being our captain, will seriously fuck us, so get your shit together.

Thanks for the years as Capt. Simon; they weren't necessarily filled with the success we'd all have liked, but no one can question your commitment, work ethic and stoicism on the field - a true leader in that respect. Hopefully this change brings the best out of you, as it was plain to see on your face that the off the field duties wore on you.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Luke, Johnson, TL could all fill in for Hoffa around origin time if it comes to that. Just not a repeat of Manu’s captaincy reign please.

Hoffman would do a better job of being outraged at referees, simon just shakes his head wearily, so the fans get that at least.

Got to admire the lack of ego, now the club has (maybe) turned the corner, simon hands over the gig.

We've now got the 'hard nosed aussie leadership mate', it'll turn back to 'only a kiwi can lead us' soon enough if its not a winning campaign.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings