General Russia Invades Ukraine

kos

Let’s have an energy thread as per previous post
I support reduced use of polluting oil gas and coal
But I fail to understand how solar wind and battery can replace oil gas and coal sucessfully
There is talk of nuclear in Aus.
It would be neat to have an energy thread to toss this around

Reactions: 2 users
Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Let’s have an energy thread as per previous post
I support reduced use of polluting oil gas and coal
But I fail to understand how solar wind and battery can replace oil gas and coal sucessfully
There is talk of nuclear in Aus.
It would be neat to have an energy thread to toss this around
I grew up in NZ in the 80s. Thought nuclear power was the worst thing in the world up until the military.
Looked into energy recently and realised I didn't have the first clue what I was talking about.
I've now come to the belief that the anti nuclear movement is funded by oil and gas 🤣. They stand to gain the most.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
It's a general statement to show how idiotic politicians are.. Talking about sanctions and embargos to

That a guess. And no China isn't moving to renewables. They are move to nuclear + RE.

India is also moving to nuclear. Because commentators here don't understand about energy security. Wind and solar are reliant on China mostly for components. China has been artificially suppressing the price of solar and batteries, just like Russia has with gas.
How are your renewables looking if pv and batteries go 5x in price. About as fucked as Germany is probably...

100% wind and solar is a myth believed by morons.
*Admins* can we have an energy policy thread??
lol sorry dude but what is RE it wouldnt be renewable energy would it, well either that or religious education.

u make some very interesting statments, re prices and artificial control, can u provide any links, and at the same time explain why the price of energy storage has decreased by 97% over the last 3 decades

"Since 1991, prices have fallen by around 97%. Prices fall by an average of 19% for every doubling of capacity. Even more promising is that this rate of reduction does not yet appear to be slowing down."

Edit P.S. like i said earlier i am in favour of moving to Nuclear power. Environmentally it is a far better solution than most others atm.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
I hope this space lazer is safer than it sounds to the untrained ear, sounds like an amazing idea until the satellite gets hacked by Dr Evil and goes rogue
I believe the one they are launching is a test piece, i.e. very small, the big test one is slatted for 2035. But the fundamentals have long been in use in Alice Springs.

Reactions: 1 user
gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
100% wind and solar is a myth believed by morons.
Just reread and noticed this. Your right, but that is not what Europe are going for atm, they are just replacing the imports from Russia. However this is a serious stepping stone to fossil fuel independence.

Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
lol sorry dude but what is RE it wouldnt be renewable energy would it, well either that or religious education.

u make some very interesting statments, re prices and artificial control, can u provide any links, and at the same time explain why the price of energy storage has decreased by 97% over the last 3 decades

"Since 1991, prices have fallen by around 97%. Prices fall by an average of 19% for every doubling of capacity. Even more promising is that this rate of reduction does not yet appear to be slowing down."

Edit P.S. like i said earlier i am in favour of moving to Nuclear power. Environmentally it is a far better solution than most others atm.

Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Look at what the Russians did. Offered bulk natural gas is to countries giving up nuclear and coal. They got addicted to it. Then when crisis hits; poor generation + war, it's fucking Armageddon. Power prices going 3x, blackouts etc, and it's not even Euro winter yet.

I rubbish claims of a kinetic war with China, but if we put our energy independence in their hands, we've already lost.

Reactions: 1 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Look at what the Russians did. Offered bulk natural gas is to countries giving up nuclear and coal. They got addicted to it. Then when crisis hits; poor generation + war, it's fucking Armageddon. Power prices going 3x, blackouts etc, and it's not even Euro winter yet.

I rubbish claims of a kinetic war with China, but if we put our energy independence in their hands, we've already lost.
your right, its criminal that aussy tech, went unsupported by the local govt, so they sold it to china, as well as sent all their staff that way. Aussy should, as they were, be leading the way in this. but the good news is that its not a high cost start up, and aussy is the worlds biggest exporter of lithium. still aussy's new govt is almost as shit at supporting renewables, but its early days. also china makes more electric cars than any other country with about 7.8 million, so leading the wzy on this but europes latest law banning the sale of new internal combustion by 2035, will give the US and europe a massive kick towards e-cars in the next 10

Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
your right, its criminal that aussy tech, went unsupported by the local govt, so they sold it to china, as well as sent all their staff that way. Aussy should, as they were, be leading the way in this. but the good news is that its not a high cost start up, and aussy is the worlds biggest exporter of lithium. still aussy's new govt is almost as shit at supporting renewables, but its early days. also china makes more electric cars than any other country with about 7.8 million, so leading the wzy on this but europes latest law banning the sale of new internal combustion by 2035, will give the US and europe a massive kick towards e-cars in the next 10
Ummm.

20 million cars. 20 million batteries. 2,400,000 tonnes of raw lithium. 50trillion tonnes of ore. Fantasy from people who can't math.
20220622 223901

Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Australia has 30% of the worlds uranium.

This came out last night. Impeccable timing 20220623 075024

Dixpat

Dixpat

In Stacey we (have to) trust
Contributor
Sup42

Have you heard from your Ukrainian friend or their family lately?

gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Ummm.

20 million cars. 20 million batteries. 2,400,000 tonnes of raw lithium. 50trillion tonnes of ore. Fantasy from people who can't math.
View attachment 47458
Yep it's called mining. Just like where copper and tin and everything else come from. While they are well on the way to finding cheaper alternitives till then got to go with what u know

gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Australia has 30% of the worlds uranium.

This came out last night. Impeccable timing View attachment 47459
Good info. Haven't seen that before. At this stage its cheaper to mine than recycle. As the price goes up recycling and alternatives become more cost effective. And change happens.
Pretty sure I can math with the best of them. RE is not a dream and it's not the future, its here and now.
Russia is making short term gains for long term pain

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Fuck me. You've flipped flopped all over the place Bruce.

Russia was losing
Sanctions hurting
Putin getting removed

Now he's a dictator for life 🤣🤣🤣
I posted that months ago :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...get real

There seems to be two stories floating about.

One is the Ukrainians are still short of weapons and the Russians are close to encircling a major part of the Ukraine army in the east, if so game over.

Some say that is just an excuse for the Ukrainian's to get more weapons, and in fact the Ukrainians are getting trained up on the new weapons, and will soon be ready for a massive counter attack.

Who knows but I got the latter theory from a retired Merkin General Mark Hertling, who has been remarkably accurate in his predictions so far.

He compared it to two heavyweights slugging it out, then one fires a knockout punch. He thinks it will be the Ukraine.

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

My view of nuclear energy as someine born in the 50s was that it was dangerous evidenced by Chernobyl and Three mile island. I have a different view now, thise old reactors were built in the t9s and 60s. Technology wise for safety and reliability compare 50s and 60s cars with those of today that is the difference

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

One is the Ukrainians are still short of weapons and the Russians are close to encircling a major part of the Ukraine army in the east, if so game over.

Some say that is just an excuse for the Ukrainian's to get more weapons, and in fact the Ukrainians are getting trained up on the new weapons, and will soon be ready for a massive counter attack.

Who knows but I got the latter theory from a retired Merkin General Mark Hertling, who has been remarkably accurate in his predictions so far.

He compared it to two heavyweights slugging it out, then one fires a knockout punch. He thinks it will be the Ukraine.

Sounds just as much western wishful thinking, although it is true that Ukraine can still hurt the Russians. What seems to be happening is that as the Russians advance the better Ukrainian units are withdrawn to be replaced by cannon fodder, thus preserving Ukrainian effectiveness. It is remarkably similar to WW2 tactics.

Noitall

Noitall

A
My view of nuclear energy as someine born in the 50s was that it was dangerous evidenced by Chernobyl and Three mile island. I have a different view now, thise old reactors were built in the t9s and 60s. Technology wise for safety and reliability compare 50s and 60s cars with those of today that is the difference
Also important where they’re situated in countries at risk of disasters as Fukushima taught us.

Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor

Some of us have been right the whole time 😎

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

This war has got to the ridiculous stage now. If Ukrainian losses are any where near the reported 5-600 killed each day it is time to stop fighting and start talking. The stupid thing is every one knows how this is going to end. people like Biden, Blinken, Austen, Johnston and Sullivan must be lunatics to want them to keep fighting and even expand it.

Some US politicians want US troops involved. Now correct me if I am wrong but in Afghanistan they couldn't beat Fred fucking Flinstone, let alone a now battle hardened Russian force.

The British military commander is saying they have to beat Russia in Western Europe, I may have missed something but Russia has not invaded western Europe.

I see that the former Ukrainian President before Zelensky has admitted they never had any intention of implementing the Minsk agreements, which gives an idea of the character of Ukrainian pollies

Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
This war has got to the ridiculous stage now. If Ukrainian losses are any where near the reported 5-600 killed each day it is time to stop fighting and start talking. The stupid thing is every one knows how this is going to end. people like Biden, Blinken, Austen, Johnston and Sullivan must be lunatics to want them to keep fighting and even expand it.

Some US politicians want US troops involved. Now correct me if I am wrong but in Afghanistan they couldn't beat Fred fucking Flinstone, let alone a now battle hardened Russian force.

The British military commander is saying they have to beat Russia in Western Europe, I may have missed something but Russia has not invaded western Europe.

I see that the former Ukrainian President before Zelensky has admitted they never had any intention of implementing the Minsk agreements, which gives an idea of the character of Ukrainian pollies
The whole thing is giant clusterfuck. And there are no good guys. .

Reactions: 3 users