STRIDER_old

Yeah mate I agree. he's a real good one. Huge kid for such a young age. And playing in such a physical competition so young at just 16, your got to hand it to him. the thing is he's dominating as well !!!!

Skinner_old

kiwi man said:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3673747a10713,00.html

we need to sign this kid up ASAP!!

I believe the Roosters may already have him - I'm not 100% sure
on that though.

Cheers
Skinner

da mad maori

We've got a couple of kids under lock and key. Will check who he is one of them. His father Willie Packer is a personal friend of mine back when I was playing.

Iafeta_old

Look forward to finding out.

Lomax has massive wraps on him. It'd be a pity to miss out.

STRIDER_old

One of those kids is probably Lesson Ah Mau. Big power damaging runner. Infact he just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Constatine Mika, Scott Jones and Daniel O' Reagan are some others as well.

da mad maori

Wayne openly admitted that they do have a couple of kids on the books. Wasnt keen on asking who.

Skinner_old

da mad maori said:
Wayne openly admitted that they do have a couple of kids on the books. Wasnt keen on asking who.

He has Leeson, Constantine, Scotty, Daniel and some others that
I am not aware of in the forwards dept.

Cheers

Wiki_old

Packer, who is leading the Dally M NYC Player of the Year voting, has made more runs than any other player in the competition and has gained an average of more than 180 metres a game in the first seven rounds. He has been one of the busiest defenders as well, making 47 tackles in one match and 39 in another.

Source: Warriors.co.nz

Kid-Dynamite_old

Well it looks like we are gonna see what he's really got when he plays in the big boys grade on sunday!

kingdamo_old

On LU they are saying some Raiders player is leading the NYC Dally M's.

Confused much? Yes I am.

Jesbass_old

First-choice prop Russell Packer returns from injury when the Vodafone Junior Warriors meet Melbourne in their 20th-round NYC encounter at Mt Smart Stadium tomorrow (Sunday).

A foot injury kept the 18-year-old out of the back-to-back wins against the North Queensland Cowboys and the Bulldogs in the last two rounds.

But while the Vodafone Junior Warriors have Packer back as they strive for their eighth win in their last nine matches, they’ll still be without another impressive front rower in Mataupu Poching. They’ve also lost try-scoring centre Francis Leger, who has scored seven tries in 11 games so far.

Named on the bench for his debut is back rower Steve Rapira, the 19-year-old brother of Kiwi and Vodafone Warriors prop Sam. The younger Rapira has battled back from a long-term foot injury.

Since being beaten by Penrith in May, the Vodafone Warriors have lost only to Wests Tigers while putting together a series of impressive victories and usually decisive winning margins. Starting this round, they had scored 528 points, a total bettered by only the Bulldogs and competition leader Canberra.

Fullback Kevin Locke was second on the competition’s points-scoring list with 138. He’s also his side’s leading try-scorer with 11.

When the Vodafone Junior Warriors and Melbourne met in the opening round of the season, the Storm won 32-22 at Telstra Dome.

VODAFONE JUNIOR WARRIORS v MELBOURNE
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland
11.50am, Sunday, July 27

VODAFONE JUNIOR WARRIORS
1 KEVIN LOCKE
2 THOMAS AH VAN
3 RUSTY BRISTOW
4 PATRICK AH VAN
5 JASON COOK
6 ISAAC JOHN
7 ANGUS CAMERON
8 RUSSELL PACKER
9 JASON TOU
10 LEESON AH MAU
11 EDDY PURCELL
12 MICHAEL AFIOGA
13 DANIEL O’REGAN

14 ALEHANA MARA
15 NATHANIEL NEALE
16 ELIJAH TAYLOR
17 STEVE RAPIRA

KURT KARA
NAFE SELUINI

Last edited by a moderator:

2big2strong_old

I am really really really really really excited about the prospect of seeing Steve Rapira in action, by all reports that I've read he is supposed to be better than his brother? It will be good to see him in action hopefully, after a long lay off.

GO THE JUNIOUR WARRIORS!

Jesbass_old

I am really really really really really excited about the prospect of seeing Steve Rapira in action, by all reports that I've read he is supposed to be better than his brother? It will be good to see him in action hopefully, after a long lay off.

GO THE JUNIOUR WARRIORS!

That certainly seems to be the case, 2b2s. Even his grandmother reckoned he has more mongrel in him.

JonB_old

I thought Sammy had debuted by the age of 19 though?? but still glad he is better. Bodes well for us.

Skinny_Ravs82

DOUBLE DELIGHT FOR VODAFONE WARRIORS AS YOUNG BROTHERS JOIN CLUB

The Vodafone Warriors have beaten several rival NRL clubs to sign one of New Zealand rugby leagues most exciting prospects Russell Packer and his older brother Paora.
Vodafone Warriors welfare and development manager Tony Iro said securing the Foxton-born and bred teenagers was hugely significant.
There was enormous interest in the boys from clubs in Australia, especially Russell who is highly rated by everyone who has seen him, he said.
Our aim is to keep as many of New Zealands best young prospects at the club as we can.
This reinforces our commitment to developing our own players and it also shows we are able to offer local players a great pathway to first-grade football.
Russell Packer (16), a New Zealand Under-16 representative last year, is a 188cm 112kg prop, and Paora (18) is a 187cm 95kg second rower. They both play for Manawatus Central Falcons in the Bartercard Cup, Paora making his debut in 2005 and Russell this year.
In fact, Falcons coach David Lomax had the younger brother lined up for his first Bartercard Cup appearance last year when he was still only 15, only for the New Zealand Rugby League to rule he was too young.
The fact theyve both signed for the Vodafone Warriors is a first for rugby league in Manawatu and for the Central Falcons, said Lomax.
This shows theres a chance in this country for players from our area to join an NRL club. Its a brilliant opportunity for them and a big boost for us.
Lomax said he had few qualms about exposing Russell Packer in the Bartercard Cup despite his youthful age.
Hes young but he is good enough and hes big enough. Hes also smart with it. He's head boy at Manawatu College and he's an academic, he said.
"Theyre really good boys.
Iro echoed Lomaxs sentiments.
Its exciting to be able to bring players like this to the club, said Iro.
We want to encourage players from areas like Manawatu to come through the system to earn the chance to develop into first-grade footballers.
Both brothers began their rugby league careers with the Levin Lions but also have a background in rugby union. They played in age-group representative union teams when they were younger.
Russell had been alternating between both codes but switched to league full-time last year when he was forced by his school to make a decision between the two.

RUSSELL PACKER
Born: October 9, 1989
Birthplace: Foxton
Position: Prop
Height: 188cm
Weight: 112kg
Junior Club: Levin Lions
Bartercard Cup: Central Falcons (2006)
Representative: New Zealand Under-16s (2005)
Educated: Manawatu College

PAORA PACKER
Born: August 5, 1987
Birthplace: Foxton
Position: Second rower
Height: 187cm
Weight: 95kg
Junior Club: Levin Lions
Bartercard Cup: Central Falcons (2005-06)
Representative: New Zealand Maori Under-18 (2005)
Educated: Manawatu College

Last edited by a moderator:

Automated Warrior_old

RUGBY league experts say prop forwards donâ??t hit their straps until their late 20s, but Warriors teenager Russell Packer is determined to buck the trend.

More...

HD_old

I remember last year reading a story posted on here that mentioned Packer suffers from plantar fasciitis and compartment syndrome, and that he was due surgery post-season to help with or correct that.

Does anyone know if he went ahead with the surgery and if he's feeling any better for it? :?