General Rule Changes 2021

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
My favourite year was when the refs actually enforced the rules. Line drop outs from behind the line all of a sudden caused players massive issues 🤣. Block plays were illegal. Then some coaches complained and the powers that be folded...
A strange concept ruling the game according to the rule book like they are rules instead of guidelines.

They had James Graham on NRL360 this week saying if they refereed according to the rule book every play would be stopped. I know most of the play the balls aren't the best but they'd soon get back onside. Problem is we don't see it through cause everyone complains.

My favourite is that muppet Phil Rothfield kept complaining that Magic Round was ruined. Enforce the rules any other week except magic round. All year he kept drunked babbling about Magic Round.

Reactions: bruce and Inruin

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Some of the refs are on major dollars...very scared of having to get a real job :rolleyes:

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
My favourite year was when the refs actually enforced the rules. Line drop outs from behind the line all of a sudden caused players massive issues 🤣. Block plays were illegal. Then some coaches complained and the powers that be folded...
to me this is the biggest issue, walking off the mark, holiwoods you name it, all the rules were there to cope with it. but instead of using them, they keep trying to tweek the interpretation of the game.

• Love
Reactions: bruce and Inruin

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
How many penalties this year for PTB where there was no attempt to play with the foot?

This was going to be a focus this year - stopped after pre-season!!!!

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
League was a pretty basic game when I played at my 17-25 age peak in the 1985-1992 era.
The best rule change then was the handover at the end of a set.
It wasn't designed to speed up the game but to ensure that both teams had some possession.

Get rid of the artificial rules.
No more 40/20s, 20/40s, 7 tackle restarts, no quick taps from penalties, no quick 20 metre restarts.

The craziest rule is the one where you can stick your foot out or dead in goal when the ball is still in play and make it dead.
FFS it used to be the ball had to touch the grass before it was considered dead or the person who was standing outside the field of play who touched it before it hit the ground made it dead.

I remember the 5 metre rule changing to 10. Good move.

Anyway the trouble is that TV referees became slack on enforcing basic rule infringements which naturally filters down to grass roots.
Lets get back to ruling the rules
Play the ball with your foot.

The second man play rule is ridiculous.
For me it doesn't matter who runs behind who or who receives the pass where.
As long as no defenders are disadvantaged.

The referees give far too much instructions to players.
Say nothing.
Just bang them.

The wrestle is a blight on the game.
And thats what it is is.
Wrestling techniques and grabs should be banned.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
League was a pretty basic game when I played at my 17-25 age peak in the 1985-1992 era.
The best rule change then was the handover at the end of a set.
It wasn't designed to speed up the game but to ensure that both teams had some possession.

Get rid of the artificial rules.
No more 40/20s, 20/40s, 7 tackle restarts, no quick taps from penalties, no quick 20 metre restarts.

The craziest rule is the one where you can stick your foot out or dead in goal when the ball is still in play and make it dead.
FFS it used to be the ball had to touch the grass before it was considered dead or the person who was standing outside the field of play who touched it before it hit the ground made it dead.

I remember the 5 metre rule changing to 10. Good move.

Anyway the trouble is that TV referees became slack on enforcing basic rule infringements which naturally filters down to grass roots.
Lets get back to ruling the rules
Play the ball with your foot.

The second man play rule is ridiculous.
For me it doesn't matter who runs behind who or who receives the pass where.
As long as no defenders are disadvantaged.

Say nothing.
Just bang them.

The wrestle is a blight on the game.
And thats what it is is.
Wrestling techniques and grabs should be banned.
Yeah the foot over the line for kicks thing shits me too, let the ball bounce if you think it’s out otherwise take it and run.

7 tackles for cynical killing the ball plays fair enough but an attacking kick that’s only slightly misjudged is bullshit.

The biggest blight for me is the ‘interpretation rules’ like 10m, held times in tackle, high tackles that are so inconsistent and at times biased to some teams it borders on match fixing

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Say nothing.
Just bang them.
that is one of my biggest gripes, they are not there to direct play but rule on it.
Since when do refs tell players how to play the game.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Still reckon one of my biggest beefs with referees is why, after calling First, Second, Third, Fourth Tackle, does the number become Last?!

If the player's too dumb to realise "Shit! Last tackle! Better set this up good or pass it to Tommy!", that's their problem. Rugby League 101: Know what the tackle count is...

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings