General Rugby Leagues Memory Lane

Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

Hooker was a very important position. There were no handovers, so there were way more scrums. These days hooker is just another half.

Trainspotters come on down.
Bow legged blokes with dodgy shoulders seemed to be the norm in the days of ball winning hookers. Occasionally you’d get one who could play a bit in a sort of Artful Dodger way

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Wigan Warrior

Wigan Warrior

Sad news about Inga Tuigamala. Loved him playing at Wigan when I was growing up.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Such sad news about Inga passing away. He was a great cross code player and did a lot for the local West Akld community too.
I’m shocked to see another legend go way to early , especially not long after Olsen’s passing.

He was the inspiration for Jason Robinson turning his life around.

RIP

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Bow legged blokes with dodgy shoulders
Standard league hooker had long arms and legs...John Lang was the classic...like an orangutan...massive stress on shoulder joints from hanging down...legs had to go right past the other second row chasing the ball...so lots of kicking and stomping on the legs.

Thems were the days, I will never forget when John Monie put Phil Blake into hooker:eek:...yet that was the future for hookers.

yawnion was completely different...back in the day yawnion hookers used to try and get a strike against the head, today they don't bother.

They used to work on speed of the strike I got dragged into some yawnion as a hooker and pulled my league tricks, got heaps of ball but the refs were pretty down on it.

excuse me , I have song coming on...don't look back, don't you ever look back

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Sad to hear about the passing of Oscar Danielson 😢

bruce

bruce

Contributor
What jerseys are in that game in the middle. Oscar was playing for Marist, I reckon the other side it Mount Albert. So that must have been after the district scheme ended.

john nick

john nick

What jerseys are in that game in the middle. Oscar was playing for Marist, I reckon the other side it Mount Albert. So that must have been after the district scheme ended.
Either mount or possibly glenora at first glance 🤔

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I seem to remember Bruce,Marist played in the district scheme as Marist.
Yes they did, but Mount Albert played with Point Chevalier as Western Districts, in a green jersey without hoops. I think Oscar cam in after the district scheme anyway.

bruce

bruce

Contributor

If you're a long-time league fan, then this sportsground (pictured in the 1960s) is bound to be familiar. It is of course Carlaw Park, for years the spiritual home of rugby league, named for James Carlaw, the head of Auckland Rugby League. Among the games early fans held in their memory was the 1928 test between the Kiwis and Great Britain where a whopping 28,000 fans turned up to see the New Zealanders triumph. The land itself was leased by Auckland Rugby League from the hospital board until the ARL bought it in 1974. The park hosted Winfield Cup games, test matches, and even concerts from the Eagles to Santana, until it closed in 2002.
Photographer: M. Mennie
Image reference: Auckland Libraries Heritage Collections, Auckland Libraries, 499-191

john nick

john nick

View attachment 47276
If you're a long-time league fan, then this sportsground (pictured in the 1960s) is bound to be familiar. It is of course Carlaw Park, for years the spiritual home of rugby league, named for James Carlaw, the head of Auckland Rugby League. Among the games early fans held in their memory was the 1928 test between the Kiwis and Great Britain where a whopping 28,000 fans turned up to see the New Zealanders triumph. The land itself was leased by Auckland Rugby League from the hospital board until the ARL bought it in 1974. The park hosted Winfield Cup games, test matches, and even concerts from the Eagles to Santana, until it closed in 2002.
Photographer: M. Mennie
Image reference: Auckland Libraries Heritage Collections, Auckland Libraries, 499-191
Not only rugby league and concerts but I worked for a company who had offices in Heather St.
Never forget watching Heavyweight fights from the back of the building overlooking Carlaw

• Love

Juju

Not only rugby league and concerts but I worked for a company who had offices in Heather St.
Never forget watching Heavyweight fights from the back of the building overlooking Carlaw
I have heard Joe Louis fought a poorly attended exhibition fight at Carlaw Park in the 1970s