General Rugby Leagues Memory Lane

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I see Ken George passed away during the week.
Ex Kiwi ,Otahuhu, and Southern Districts
I think he toured with the Kiwis to Oz and I am not sure but think played against the SAFFAs as well, which was full of Springboks who had gone to England, but wasn't counted as a test .

I saw the Saffas play here. They were tough bastards.

Reactions: Dave Brough

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
I think he toured with the Kiwis to Oz and I am not sure but think played against the SAFFAs as well, which was full of Springboks who had gone to England, but wasn't counted as a test .

I saw the Saffas play here. They were tough bastards.
Some great RL players from there in days gone by.

You’d think SA was ripe for rugby league to take off, the rah rah team are doing their level best to get their game done away with. I watched a bit of the recent SA v Lions games, absolutely awful as a game. Like a medieval street fight with a separate game of kicking at goal taking place

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Some great RL players from there in days gone by.

You’d think SA was ripe for rugby league to take off, the rah rah team are doing their level best to get their game done away with. I watched a bit of the recent SA v Lions games, absolutely awful as a game. Like a medieval street fight with a separate game of kicking at goal taking place
Class system mate. They don't like blacks or coal miners. They all look the same ☺️

Reactions: Hardyman's Yugo

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
One SA player who agreed to go to St Helens I think but backed out was Danie Gerber, chek out his highlights on youtube, he would have been sensational. Recognised as one Unions great Centres.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Class system mate. They don't like blacks or coal miners. They all look the same ☺️
Actually Bruce, you too should show respect here.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
You’d think it would have sunk along with a lot of Afrikaans culture but no. It’s a shocking game to watch nowadays
Just watching SA v Aus now...like watching paint dry :rolleyes: .

To be fair to the Afrikaaners when our game went alone they had enough problems with the English upper class as it was.

They were dominated by the English until the first world war, by then union was the game. Also universities such as Stellenbosch were major influences and yawnion dominated there, of course.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Just watching SA v Aus now...like watching paint dry :rolleyes: .

To be fair to the Afrikaaners when our game went alone they had enough problems with the English upper class as it was.

They were dominated by the English until the first world war, by then union was the game. Also universities such as Stellenbosch were major influences and yawnion dominated there, of course.
From a youngster until about the age of 20 I used to go to the Cumberland County RU final with my Grandad. He was the archetypal RL man, grew up in a small village and was sent down the pit as a very young man or boy.

We’d get to the turnstile and he’d pay to get in, ‘Old Age Pensioner and a schoolboy’ he’d say even when I was about 20. Because he was well known in local RL circles (ex ref and involved in the local amateur game) he was known so he’d get a few ‘have you come here to spy on our players Tommy?’ comments when we got through the gate

After about five minutes of play it would start, he’d pick up on someone on the pitch usually the ref or linesman. ‘Are you sure you can run that far pal?’, ‘’Get your blazer off its not that cold’ etc. As a teenager this was embarrassing, my head would sink inside my coat. Latterly I thought it was brilliant.

Old Sid this was the Ellis Sports ground at Moss Bay

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings