General Rugby Leagues Memory Lane

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
In all my years of watching league including the 80s I have never seen anyone as headless as mad jack
There’s been a whole heap of loose units over the years but hard to go past Gordy for straight up loonie eyed aggression.
And one of the best back rowers of all time to boot.

Les Boyd was another, great player but a serial thug who payed for it by basically wiping himself out of the Aussie game through suspensions.

And if we’re talking headless it wouldn’t be right to forget good ol’ Hoppa. (see Les Boyd)

Jacks got a fair ways to go yet haha.

Last edited:

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
what about good old Kevin Campion, i swear he used to cut his forehead open himself in half his games and when he didnt i swear he lead with his head in every other tackle.

WA supporter

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Mar 18, 2017
Perth
There’s been a whole heap of loose units over the years but hard to go past Gordy for straight up loonie eyed aggression.
And one of the best back rowers of all time to boot.

Les Boyd was another, great player but a serial thug who payed for it by basically wiping himself out of the Aussie game through suspensions.

And if we’re talking headless it wouldn’t be right to forget good ol’ Hoppa. (see Les Boyd)

Jacks got a fair ways to go yet haha.
I still have nightmares from the ‘95 season when St George played the Warriors at Ericsson. Early minutes of the 2nd half Tallis broke the line 60 metres out down the l/h side and scored. I don’t remember the final score but it wasn’t pretty for us🤮

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
I still have nightmares from the ‘95 season when St George played the Warriors at Ericsson. Early minutes of the 2nd half Tallis broke the line 60 metres out down the l/h side and scored. I don’t remember the final score but it wasn’t pretty for us🤮
Remember it well, he taught us a lesson I've never forgotten. That was the start of our decline.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I remember some little hooker running from dummy half. Someone Brown? What’s he doing nowadays?

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Great article on the first black RL coach In this country, Roy Francis. Probably the first black coach in any sport tbh

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54695638

For anyone who can access BBC iPlayer the Rugby Codebreakers programme is well worth a watch. It’s about those who chose to leave Wales for the North of England to play RL, many of whom were black (Francis, Billy Boston and others) who knew they would never get picked for Wales.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bruce

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
Your posts bring tears to my eyes brother :happy:
I grew up with this stuff. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was younger (oldest grandchild) and my grandfather was Rugby League to his core. He could go back to the game in the 1920’s, although there were no professional Cumbrian clubs until 1945. He knew a lot of big time players through his refereeing. I remember he told me he’d played amateur games alongside a local hero called Billy Little who got Barrow to the cup final in the 1930’s

Reactions: bruce

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
He is a legend in Hull. I would to have seen him play.
He played in a Hull pack that had twin brothers at prop, Bill and Jim Drake. A pretty fearsome pair by all accounts and both internationals I think, born in Harrington in Cumbria so turned out for the county team even though they’d grown up near York.

Part of my childhood indoctrination :cool:

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
He played in a Hull pack that had twin brothers at prop, Bill and Jim Drake. A pretty fearsome pair by all accounts and both internationals I think, born in Harrington in Cumbria so turned out for the county team even though they’d grown up near York.

Part of my childhood indoctrination :cool:
Ive heard the same about the Drake brothers. I think Mick Scott and Arthur Keegan were in the same era as well. Another couple of Hull FC icons.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings